SINGAPORE —The final death toll remained uncertain a day after the collapse of a shoe factory in the outskirts of the Cambodian capital of Phnom Penh, with government officials and sources now confirming two deaths as of Friday afternoon- earlier accounts had counted three casualties.
David Welsh, Cambodia director at the Solidarity Center, an AFL-CIO affiliate, warned that the casualty count could still rise, noting that two of 11 injured workers being treated in hospital were suffering from life-threatening injuries. The factory, owned by Wing Star Shoes Co. Ltd., was making shoes for Japan's Asics and possibly for other brands as well.
Meanwhile, it appears that one of the dead workers, Sim Srey Touch, might have been under the age of 16. Government officials deny this allegation, stating that the woman in question was 22 years old but some of the deceased's family members and neighbors told local sources that the woman was under 16 years of age.
Local factory management in Cambodia couldn't be reached for comment; listed phone numbers appear to have been disconnected. An official at the Garment Manufacturers Association in Cambodia, which Wing Star Shoes is part of, couldn't be reached for comment.
Mouen Tola, head of the labor program at the Community Legal Education Center, said that preliminary interviews with workers affiliated with the factory suggested that Sim may not have been the only underage worker there.
Mouen said that it is not unusual for the families of young Cambodian girls to pay the local village chief around 5,000 Cambodian riels, or $1.25 at current exchange, for forged documents that enabled them to work.
On Thursday afternoon, senior government officials told reporters and workers' rights groups there that at least three workers had been killed by falling debris after a ceiling in a factory gave way. However by Friday morning, they had reduced the death toll to two.
Government officials said that the ceiling that gave way had been supporting an illegally constructed mezzanine level that was used as a storage area. Mam Narai, a director at the provincial Ministry of Land Management, Urban Planning and Construction told the Phnom Penh Post that the mezzanine, which had been constructed off a thin piece of concrete, had not received planning approval and that it was insufficient to hold the weight that had been placed on it.
At a press conference on Friday, factory management apologized for the incident and said that they would offer compensation to workers who had been injured or killed and pay their medical expenses. The compensation that Wing Star Shoes was offering wasn't disclosed, but local media said that $6,000 was being offered to the families of the deceased and $1,000 to those injured.
Labor activists noted that the factory had been constructed more than a year ago and that government officials had plenty of time to inspect the premises. "By law, every single factory is supposed to be inspected once a month, so why didn't they find out anything [beforehand]?" said Mouen. "It's only just after the collapse that the authorities say it's been constructed without permission."
"It's a disgrace that anything remotely like this could happen because in Cambodia, there are only 500 factories to monitor," Welsh said.
According to a spokeswoman from Japanese sportswear manufacturer Asics, which sources from Wing Star Shoes, the Cambodian footwear manufacturer is the subsidiary of an Asics subsidiary. The Kobe-based company said it is investigating the incident but did not provide further details on what happened or its future plans for the factory.
"We are deeply shocked and saddened to hear of this terrible accident at a factory that manufactures Asics shoes. We want to pass on our deepest condolences to everyone involved. Safety is of paramount importance for Asics. While the factory is not operated by Asics, we will be offering support to those affected and have launched our own full investigation into the cause of the incident," Asics said in a release.
The Wing Star Shoes factory has a record of alleged labor rights violations. A report of the factory provided by the Clean Clothes Campaign said that between 10-20 workers fainted on a daily basis at the factory, which the organization said did not have proper sanitation or treatment facilities. Mass faintings have long plagued garment manufacturing plants in Cambodia.
Supermodel @helenachristensen teamed up with longtime friend and designer @camillastaerk on a joint @paredeyewear collaboration. The lineup features three styles and 11 offerings, all of which embody a vintage feel. Get all the details on how they celebrated the collab on WWD.com. #wwdaccessories #wwdeye (📷: @slovekinpics)
“It’s a hard industry to keep motivated, as well, so finding different subjects and people is what makes it worth it – when you’re like, oh, I’ve met great people, I feel like I’ve done something good, and I feel proud of having done this,” said French actress Stacy Martin on being grateful for the variety of roles she’s take on. Read @ktauer’s full interview with Martin on her her latest film “Godard Mon Amour.” #wwdeye (📷: @danieldorsa)
After showing in front of the Eiffel Tower for his last two women’s ready-to-wear collection, it looks like @anthonyvaccarello may be heading to the Big Apple. Sources say the designer will stage his next @ysl show in NYC on June 6. Get all the details on WWD.com. #wwdnews #wwdfashion (📷: @aitorrosasphoto)
EXCLUSIVE: Two and half months after John Targon, cofounder and codesigner of Baja East, was hired as creative director of the contemporary division at Marc Jacobs, he has left the company, WWD has learned. Marc Jacobs International, which is owned by LVMH Moët Hennessy Louis Vuitton, confirmed Targon’s departure in a statement: “John Targon is a talented designer and we appreciate the work he has done here. Ultimately working together did not make sense for the brand and we wish him the best.” Read the story by @jessiredale, link in bio. #wwdnews
@theluxurycollection is officially launching a collection, tapping Sofia Sanchez de Betak for the capsule. Over 30 styles will be featured in the Chufy x The Luxury Collection, debuting next month at Bergdorf Goodman, The Webster, FiveStory and more. De Betak, known as “@chufy,” drew inspiration for the collection from her trips to Japan in the past year #wwdfashion
@lhd, founder and CEO of @thewebster, has teamed up with @lebonmarcherivegauche for the European launch of her ready-to-wear line, LHD. The launch will come with an exclusive pop-up opening today that’s set to run through May 20. Located on the second floor, it carries her debut Miami-themed resort collection, launched in November as see-now-buy-now. #wwdfashion