After more than 20 years in costume jewelry, Alexis Bittar is entering the fine jewelry market. Alexis Bittar Fine launches Tuesday in 17 Neiman Marcus stores as well as Bittar’s 11 stores and Web site. “It’s been a five-year conversation,” said Bittar of the collection. “I design three different [costume] collections in a super-prolific way and to extend that into something that is precious seemed like such a natural evolution.”
Bittar is working with precious and semiprecious stones, with 25 percent of the collection set in 18-karat gold and the other 75 percent in sterling silver with 18-karat gold. Prices range from $295 to $16,000.
Known for his fashion-driven sensibility, which is broken up into three very different costume groups — Elements, Lucite and Miss Havisham — Bittar said creating a new aesthetic for the fine jewelry was a challenge. “It had to look unique because it can’t cannibalize what’s existing,” said the designer, who described the look of the fine jewelry as a fusion of “a grunge Nineties punk feeling with kind of this 1950s-ladylike-with-a-little-bit-of-a-thorn feel.” Marquis-shaped stones are a key cut, worked on a tennis bracelet with quartz, London blue topaz and pavé diamonds, and marquis chandelier earrings with iolite, chalcedony and pavé diamond claws, as well as kidney wire earrings in a range of sizes. For spring the palette is pastel-focused with amethyst, iolite, quartz and sapphires.
Bittar said there will be core items that will carry over from season to season, in addition to four fashion-driven collections per year. There are some statement pieces within the fine jewelry, such as cocktail rings and a single strand of chunky marquis stones, but overall, the fine group has a more delicate sensibility than Bittar’s costume range. “I think people mostly thought it was going to be this large-scale jewelry,” said Bittar. “I went a little bit in reverse, where I designed things that were more petite.”
Plans for the fine jewelry collection, which is positioned in the designer jewelry category — between costume and the upper echelons of fine — were announced when San Francisco-based private equity firm TSG Consumer Partners took a 50 percent equity stake in Bittar’s business last year.
From overseeing America’s fastest-growing speciality retailers to codifying cool, WWD talked to the women who are leading the way for the future of beauty. Check out our Instagram Stories to see how these women built today and are creating tomorrow. (📸: @hannah_khymych) #wwdbeauty
For @laperlalingerie's spring 2018 show, the brand chose to host their event at @thevenetianmacao. With Chinese megastars @bingbing_fan and @hubing in attendance, La Perla debuted a rock ‘n’ roll-inspired collection. The show marked the start of Sands Macao Fashion Week, which runs from October 19 to 24 — the city’s first such event. Pictured here are models backstage with glimmering eyes. #wwdfashion (📷: Cheuk-Yin To)
Trending for spring 2018: top stitch design. Gone are the days of stitch just for seams — designers are using the once-minimal detail to create strong decorative elements. (📷: Paola Testa; Styled by @andrew_shang) #wwdfashion
@tradesy is turning the concept of a showroom upside down with its new space in Santa Monica. Here, the company plans to hold events, art exhibits and a showcase rare fashion pieces like this Louis Vuitton boxing set. Get all the details on Tradesy’s first showroom on WWD.com. #wwdnews
Spotted last night at the @erdem x @hm launch event: Kate Bosworth, Rashida Jones, Kirsten Dunst and Selma Blair. The party, which took place in LA, also marked the opening of their pop-up shop. “I was interested in creating a collection that wasn’t in any way disposable. It was about pieces you’d create and keep forever, things that have a permanence to it,” designer Erdem Moralioglu said. #wwdeye (📷: Katie Jones)
Renee Zellweger in yellow in 2001 and again in 2017. Chosen as one of the 12 @pantone Leading Spring Colors (and dubbed “Meadowlark”), it only makes sense that the bright hue stands the test of time and is making a resurgence this season, seen already on stars like @blakelively and @gigihadid. (📷: Donato Sardello & @rexfeatures) #wwdfashion #tbt
Dior’s 70th anniversary celebration continues with a new exhibition at the Royal Ontario Museum in Toronto. “Christian Dior,” which is scheduled to run through March 18, takes a look at the founders tenure from 1947 to 1057 and feature 40 designs. Pictured here is an evening gown from the Ailée, fall 1948-49 haute couture collection. #wwdfashion (📷: Brian Boyle)