WWD.com/accessories-news/executive-changes/de-beers-appoints-cynthia-carroll-as-chairman-6383837/
government-trade
government-trade

De Beers Appoints Cynthia Carroll as Chairman

She is the chief executive of Anglo American Plc, which purchased an additional 40 percent stake in the diamond company.

De Beers SA Wednesday appointed Cynthia Carroll, chief executive of Anglo American Plc, as the diamond company’s new chairman.

 

Carroll’s appointment follows mining company Anglo American’s purchase of an additional 40 percent stake in De Beers, which was completed earlier this year, taking its share in the diamond company to 85 percent. The government of Botswana holds the remaining 15 percent stake. Anglo American purchased the additional shareholding from the Oppenheimer family, and Nicky Oppenheimer had most recently served as De Beers’ chairman, stepping down from that role last month.

Carroll said, “Anglo American has been a shareholder in De Beers since 1926. That shared history between Anglo American and De Beers has given me a deep appreciation for the business and the unique nature of diamonds. I look forward to leading the board and continuing to support the management of the world’s leading diamond company.”

De Beers said  two members of Anglo American’s group management committee have also been appointed to De Beers’ board — Brian Beamish, group director of mining and technology, and Peter Whitcutt, group director of strategy and business development. All the board appointments are effective immediately.

Philippe Mellier, chief executive of De Beers Group, said of the new appointments: “De Beers is fortunate to have a chairman of Cynthia’s caliber and to add Brian and Peter’s extensive industry experience to the board. I look forward to their continued counsel and leadership as we find new ways to enhance De Beers’ leadership position across the diamond pipeline.”