With currency and stock markets plagued by continued volatility, diamonds are acquiring an extra sparkle for investors.
In fact, De Grisogono founder and creative director Fawaz Gruosi reckons the high-end has never thrived as much.
“There is more money than before. And we never sold as many very, very, very important pieces in all my business history than in 2013. I think people got scared to invest in the stock market,” he said. “I’m talking about $3 million to $5 million just for a purchase. They’re buying something [thinking] that, if worst comes to worst, ‘I would not lose everything.’”
Those seeking investment pieces found plenty to pick from at Baselworld, where brands showcased their finest high-jewelry creations:
• London-based diamond specialist Graff, making its first appearance at the fair, showed the Hallucination, billed as the world’s most expensive timepiece at $55 million. It featured more than 110 carats of extremely rare colored diamonds.
• Harry Winston exhibited the Emerald Cluster, featuring 73 carats of baguette, round, pear and marquise-cut diamonds set in its signature cluster technique and priced at $1.24 million.
• Boucheron celebrated the relaunch of its minimal Reflet watch collection for women and men with a diamond-studded Reflet Pompon version, which comes with a detachable tassel and a $329,000 price tag.
• Chanel showed its most expensive timepiece to date, a J12 Flying Tourbillon set with 42 carats of diamonds, available in a limited edition of five priced at $1.2 million.
• Dior unveiled the Dior VIII Grand Bal Reine des Neiges, featuring a bracelet paved with snow-set diamonds, a bezel set with 60 baguette-cut diamonds and a pink gold oscillating weight set with opal, mother-of-pearl and sapphires. Available in a limited edition of eight, it costs $385,000.
• De Grisogono introduced its Allegra watch, including a diamond-paved version with red indexes priced at $520,000.
EXCLUSIVE: @tomford is opening its first-ever beauty store. The boutique, which opens November 20 in London’s Covent Gardens, was designed with the over-the-top glam Ford is known for. Read the full story on WWD.com, link in bio. #wwdbeauty #wwdnews (📷: Simon Wagner) #TomFordBeauty
New York-based DJ @harleyvnewton threw a party to celebrate the holiday collection of her dress and pajama line @hvn at the Ladurée Beverly Hills. It Girls @katebosworth, @rashidajones and more joined in on the fun, which included cocktails, croque monsieur sandwiches and a photo booth. #wwdfashion (📷: Owen Kolasinski/BFA.com)
For the holidays, @Burberry partnered with 20-year-old artist @blondeymccoy on a series of three outdoor murals in downtown Manhattan. The murals are McCoy’s interpretation of a Christmas eve party, the idea of charity and the spirit of family. His third mural, pictured here, is the most personal. The image depicts McCoy’s grandparents and father in London’s Trafalgar Square in the Seventies. “My work often features lots of sentimental objects.” #wwdeye
For spring 2018, designers applied bold colors and cartoonish motifs on everything from sneakers and belts to key chains. See all the top men’s accessories trends on WWD.com. #wwdtrends (📷: George Chinsee; Prop Styling by @rnasti; Market Editor: @luiscampuzano)
The @dior-sponsored @guggenheim international gala pre-party has a history of drawing cool-girl musical acts to serenade the crowd –– and last night was no exception. @haimtheband performed songs both new and old, and lured a star-studded audience with the likes of Rebecca Hall, Kate Mara, Mamoudou Athie and more. #wwdeye (📷: @lexieblacklock)
In a partnership between the @metopera and the @englishnationalopera, “Marnie” was born. The opera, with costumes sponsored by @mrporterlive, is an adaptation of the 1961 thriller by Winston Graham. Arianne Phillips, who created the costumes, is no rookie: She’s styled Madonna for her tours and created costumes for a myriad of films in the past. Read WWD’s interview with Phillips, where she talks about her inspiration for the opera’s costumes on WWD.com #wwdfashion
@barneysnyc took a different approach to their holiday windows this year. Instead of Christmas decor, Barneys tapped @thehaasbrothers to tell a story of positivity, gratitude and inclusivity via heartwarming silliness and humor. “It’s about kids and it’s about coming together and being family and loving each other,” said Simon Haas. #wwdfashion (📷: @joshuascottphoto)
Beauty influencer @kandeejohnson makes her foray into hair care with a collaboration with @ogx_beauty — making it the first time that OGX has teamed up for a product creation. The collab includes shampoos and conditioners in three scents. At 39 and a mom, Johnson is a different profile than the emerging social media stars, but is considered one of the pioneers of the digital beauty influencer world. Read WWD’s interview with her on wwd.com, including the strangest beauty product she’s ever tried #wwdbeauty