From what to drink to who’s wearing what (plus a pop quiz to test your knowledge of the art and science of fragrance), our definitive guide to this year’s FiFi Awards.
Don Loftus' Top Five Tips on How to Accept a FiFi
Here, Donald J. Loft us, the Procter & Gamble Prestige leader who also happens to be an accomplished writer, reveals his stage-winning strategies for a witty acceptance speech.
1. Get Up There... Fast!: When your award is announced, get up on that stage as fast as possible. It’s already been a long night. You can kiss everyone you know once you are off the stage.
2. Don't Act Surprised: No one is buying it. You know you expected to win. We all know you expected to win.
3. Keep It Brief: It’s already been a long night. Don’t thank everyone you’ve ever known by name. Group them together. For example: “Thank you everyone I’ve ever known.” That should cover it.
4. Thank Those Who Will Be Voting Next Time: You should be covered with Step 3, but know that if you miss someone, they will probably vote for someone else the next time.
5. Mention Don Loftus: If you could include me in your list of “thank yous,” I will also vote for you next year.
A Makeup Primer
Melissa Silver is the go-to makeup artist for industry execs like Lynne Greene and Gina Drosos. She’s already booked for the big event, but agreed to share her top tips for award-winning makeup.
● Warm up your complexion, while staying harmonious with the rest of your coloring, so that you don’t look washed out under the stage lights or in pictures. Bronzer is key. ● Eyes are always a focus. False lashes are very important. I use individual clusters as they really emphasize the eyes without looking heavy. ● I’m very big on layering—powder shadow over cream shadow, powder or pencil over cream liner, powder blush over cream blush—anything to give extra staying power. ● Contouring and highlighting the cheeks, nose and jaw really does make a difference, particularly in photos. ● Waterproof mascara is an absolute must. (It holds a curl better, too). ● Don’t forget the body—arms, elbows, hands and legs should be moisturized (nothing high shine), and any little marks discreetly covered.
Supermodel @helenachristensen teamed up with longtime friend and designer @camillastaerk on a joint @paredeyewear collaboration. The lineup features three styles and 11 offerings, all of which embody a vintage feel. Get all the details on how they celebrated the collab on WWD.com. #wwdaccessories #wwdeye (📷: @slovekinpics)
“It’s a hard industry to keep motivated, as well, so finding different subjects and people is what makes it worth it – when you’re like, oh, I’ve met great people, I feel like I’ve done something good, and I feel proud of having done this,” said French actress Stacy Martin on being grateful for the variety of roles she’s take on. Read @ktauer’s full interview with Martin on her her latest film “Godard Mon Amour.” #wwdeye (📷: @danieldorsa)
After showing in front of the Eiffel Tower for his last two women’s ready-to-wear collection, it looks like @anthonyvaccarello may be heading to the Big Apple. Sources say the designer will stage his next @ysl show in NYC on June 6. Get all the details on WWD.com. #wwdnews #wwdfashion (📷: @aitorrosasphoto)
EXCLUSIVE: Two and half months after John Targon, cofounder and codesigner of Baja East, was hired as creative director of the contemporary division at Marc Jacobs, he has left the company, WWD has learned. Marc Jacobs International, which is owned by LVMH Moët Hennessy Louis Vuitton, confirmed Targon’s departure in a statement: “John Targon is a talented designer and we appreciate the work he has done here. Ultimately working together did not make sense for the brand and we wish him the best.” Read the story by @jessiredale, link in bio. #wwdnews
@theluxurycollection is officially launching a collection, tapping Sofia Sanchez de Betak for the capsule. Over 30 styles will be featured in the Chufy x The Luxury Collection, debuting next month at Bergdorf Goodman, The Webster, FiveStory and more. De Betak, known as “@chufy,” drew inspiration for the collection from her trips to Japan in the past year #wwdfashion
@lhd, founder and CEO of @thewebster, has teamed up with @lebonmarcherivegauche for the European launch of her ready-to-wear line, LHD. The launch will come with an exclusive pop-up opening today that’s set to run through May 20. Located on the second floor, it carries her debut Miami-themed resort collection, launched in November as see-now-buy-now. #wwdfashion