Skin Care Firm Turns Up the Juice
NEW YORK — Three-year-old organic skin care marketer Juice Beauty will introduce its first antiaging treatment collection, called Green Apple Skincare, exclusively at Sephora USA next month. At the same time, the brand will launch a reformulated and repackaged version of its core line.

Christin Powell, founder and chief creative officer of the company, is projecting $6 million in combined wholesale revenues from both Juice Beauty collections by next year.

Green Apple, a six-item line ranging in price from $26 to $45, is designed to treat problem and aging skin. The collection features a cleansing gel, a peel, a mask, an antioxidant serum, an eye cream and an SPF 15 moisturizer.

Green Apple's key ingredients are organic juice solutions, which contain hydroxy acid complex, a brightening, antioxidant solution. Formulations also feature dimethylaminoethanol, or DMAE, which is said to firm skin while enhancing elasticity; alpha-lipoic acid, an enzyme used as an antiinflammatory, and co-enzyme Q10, which purportedly promotes cellular renewal.

Juice Beauty's repackaged and reformulated core line consists of 15 products, including a cleansing milk, a hydrating mist, a redness reducing serum and an SPF 30 moisturizer. Items in the collection, which ranges in price from $14 to $45, are grouped into a four-step regimen for all skin types.

Powell and her business partners — Karen Behnke, Juice Beauty's chief executive officer, and Melissa Jochim, director of product development — found that consumers don't have a clear idea what "organic" is, according to Powell. She said she hopes to establish in the marketplace what it means to be organic. "People want a product that is natural but also very effective," she said. "Our philosophy is such that 'organic' is a lifestyle, not a trend."

According to USDA organic standards, "raw ingredients [must] make up 70 percent or [more of the organic product]," Powell said, noting, "In our case it is often 90 percent."

Betsy Olum, senior vice president of marketing for Sephora, where Green Apple will be carried on an exclusive basis for the first six months, said 70 percent "begs the question: What [makes up] the other 30 percent?" Juice Beauty's products are "100 percent juice concentrate," she noted, adding Juice Beauty "is a lot about what's not in the product."Both Juice Beauty collections are free of artificial preservatives, said Jochim, who added that the packaging, which reflects the brand's organic positioning, is designed to have a "spa-like" feel. Sephora provided input when the packaging was being developed and Olum said Juice Beauty graphics make the brand "client-friendly," enabling customers "to get the point" about organics.

To promote the brand and consumer awareness about "organics," Juice Beauty has slated monthly and quarterly advertorials — which will focus on Green Apple — in major beauty magazines, according to Powell. Sephora will promote both collections in Sephora catalogues as well as online.

Besides Sephora, Juice Beauty's distribution network includes specialty and department store doors, independent boutiques and ShopNBC.com. The core collection is slated to be rolled out to Whole Foods. Internationally, Sears Canada will launch both collections, Behnke noted. Juice Beauty will also be launched in 22 House of Fraser stores in the U.K. this month, as well as four Harvey Nichols locations next month. There will also be distribution in Korea.
— Ashley Moore

Markwins Files Lawsuit Against Mirage
NEW YORK — Markwins Beauty Products, a subsidiary of Markwins International that markets color cosmetics brands such as Wet 'n' Wild and Black Radiance, has filed a lawsuit against Maryland-based Mirage Cosmetics in the U.S. District Court for the Central District of California.

The suit alleges that Mirage's use of the trademark Wild and Crazy on a competing line of budget cosmetics sold in the same retail channels as Wild 'n' Wild cosmetics infringes on Markwins' trademark rights. Markwins has filed a motion for an immediate preliminary injunction, which, if granted, would prevent Mirage from using the Wild and Crazy trademark on cosmetics in food, drug and mass market retail stores that also sell Wet 'n' Wild cosmetics.

Mirage Cosmetics president Chris Chon said the firm registered the Wild and Crazy trademark in 1997, and has distributed the line to various retail channels over the last eight years. Mirage's national sales manager, Stan Goldberg, said, "It's a legal trademark, and we're going to use it."
— Molly Prior

To access this article, click here to subscribe or to log in.

load comments
blog comments powered by Disqus