ECRM held its skin, cosmetics and fragrance planning meeting last week in Las Vegas. It overlapped a new prestige beauty meeting ECRM is attempting to get off the ground.
Here are some favorites from the always productive show:
1. Best manufacturer presentation: Jackie Fame, Inc. The meeting was full of mavens who have been in the business for 30-plus years, but they couldn’t hold a candle to Zachary and Joshua Swauger, brothers who created their own online platform now expanding into a line of products for teen and tween girls (and soon, boys). Joshua’s 11; Zachary is 14.
2. Most attractive meeting room: Crabtree & Evelyn. The company was there for the prestige side of the show and brought lots of hoopla, with a room decorated to reflect several of its collections. A stylist created each vignette, featuring live flowers and props.
3. Interesting delivery systems: Mincer Pharma Skin care products feature a dispenser that pumps the product in small doses when a user pushes down on the cover. This eliminates the mess and waste sometimes associated with skin creams.
4. Best use of a celebrity endorsement: Original Additions Katy Perry is known for her outrageous looks including eyelashes. Original Additions is using Perry as the face behind its Eylure lash line.
5. Most comfortable room: Aspire Brands Inc. Retailers said Aspire must do something right with the ECRM powers that be. The room had a huge comfy couch and a breathtaking view of Las Vegas. Many buyers even took off their shoes in the room!
6. Best comeback story for venerable brand: Dana Classic Fragrances Dana has been building on its classic scents, giving them new life. Now additions leveraging the strength of the brand names are planned to roll out.
7. Product that got people talking: Save Your Do Bunky Mar brought her bright spirits out to launch unique accessories such as a towel that helps maintain hair styles during workouts or other activities. 8. Most interesting retail attendee: Publishers Clearing House The company known for making millionaires is also in the sampling business and looking for beauty items to go in sample boxes.
9. Product people wanted samples of the most: Maccabi Art America’s obsession with tattoos and glitter came together in the temporary tattoos featuring Swarovski crystals.
10. Best restaurant pick: T-Bones Chophouse Most attendees opted for a nice juicy steak on the opening night of the meeting — plenty of protein to survive the bustling three days of back-to-back 20-minute appointments.
People, Places and Things
A few words with young brothers Joshua and Zachary Swauger, founders of Jackie Fame, a new line of personal care and nail polishes.
WWD Beauty News: What made you do this at such a young age? Zachary: We weren’t allowed to have a Facebook [account], but our dad said, ‘You can create whatever you want’ — so we created an online social network.
WWD Beauty News: Why girls’ products first? Joshua: There’s a bigger market and it is more fun with all the colors, but we are starting on [products for] boys now, too. WWD Beauty News: Describe the line. Joshua: The FameBody line is all-natural, 100-percent Australian made. The scents include berry, lime, mango, grapefruit and pear.
@kith is moving into children’s. The men’s and women’s streetwear brand has launched Kidset, a Kith kids line located in New York at 64 Bleecker Street. The line includes mini versions of staple Kith pieces like the Astor bomber jacket and the Kith box logo sweatshirts, along with a wall that can display up to 120 pairs of shoes from @adidas, @newbalance, @timberland and more. #wwdfashion
“I just wanted to create this fully rounded character, but I do think what excited me most was just the opportunity to give a group of people representation that I feel needs it. I like to do characters in projects that stand for something and Karolina definitely does, so that was really exciting to me,” @ginnygardner says of her new role in @hulu’s “The Runaways.” Gardner plays Karolina Dean, a queer superhero, which is a rarity for @marvel. Read more about Gardner’s character on WWD.com #wwdeye (📷: @dandoperalski)
@heriethpaul and @gracebol have a moment on the @victoriassecret fashion show 2017. See every look from the runway on WWD.com. Link in bio. (📷: @giovanni_giannoni_photo) #wwdfashion #victoriassecret #VSFashionShow
“Azzedine has been one of the biggest influences in my life. He has always been such a strong, loving, fatherly figure to me. I call him Papa. His designs are indescribably unique, they are pieces of art. He knew how to make the female form look its loveliest. I have so many memories of him; my favorite might be during my first show with him in Paris. He liked me and he wanted to help me get more work. He called all his friends at Kenzo and Comme des Garcons, and asked them to book me. They said, ‘But she can’t walk!’ And he said, ‘but she has such a great ass!' His friendship and support has been the great privilege of my career. I can't imagine life without him. Repose en paix mon Papa.” - @stephanieseymour tells @wwd. #wwdfashion (📷: @steveeichner) #alaia #azzedinealaia
Azzedine Alaïa, flanked by two of his closest friends, models Stephanie Seymour and Naomi Campbell.
He designed Seymour’s dress for her 1995 wedding to Peter Brant, and treated Campbell (who famously called him Papa), like a daughter. For more on the legendary designer, tap the link in bio. #wwdfashion #alaia #azzedinealaia