The label "Made in Italy" is more famous in fashion than in cosmetics, but many companies in the beauty business in Italy also make product origin and craftsmanship a selling point as they supply cosmetics firms around the world.
Beauty’s roots, like many other things, go deep in Italy. Legend has it that a 14th-century Carthusian monk was responsible taking flowers on the island of Capri and turning them into the Carthusia perfume still popular today — and he was not alone in realizing Italy’s potential.
In 2012, Italian cosmetics companies generated an estimated 6.181 billion euros, or about $8.17 billion, in Italy and another 2.88 billion euros ($3.8 billion) in exports. Projections for 2013 show a slight drop domestically (1.5 percent) but a 7 percent increase in exports.
Among the big players:
• Dario Ferrari founded Intercos in 1972, and since then the Agrate Brianza, Italy-based company has expanded its operations and production worldwide, with plants and commercial offices in the U.S., Malaysia and China, as well as an additional commercial office in France. Intercos is the best-known manufacturer of color cosmetics, producing lipstick, eye shadow, mascara, foundation, powder and eye and lip pencils for some of the biggest names in the market.
• In 1975, having taken over his father’s pharmaceutical business, Roberto Martone founded Industrie Cosmetiche Riunite (ICR) and began developing an Italian fragrance business with fashion expertise. In 2002 he launched Italian Fragrances, or ITF, and today the ICR-ITF powerhouse — with production based in Lodi, outside Milan — handles the manufacturing and distribution for Blumarine, Blugirl, Dsquared2 and Trussardi fashion fragrances. ICR-ITF’s newest fashion license, Pomellato, will make its debut in September. RELATED STORY: Made In Italy, Collistar Marks 30 Years >>
• Ferragamo Parfums, a branch of the Salvatore Ferragamo Group, develops and distributes perfumes and body care products for fashion brands Salvatore Ferragamo and Emanuel Ungaro. Since its creation in 2001, Ferragamo Parfums has more than tripled its exclusively Made in Italy business. The blockbuster Salvatore Ferragamo Signorina fragrance, launched in 2012, was marketed internationally as a perfume for young women with Italian sophistication, as personified by model Bianca Balti, who fronted the campaign.
• Euroitalia, founded in 1980 by Giovanni Sgariboldi, “transfers Made in Italy fashion and design into perfumes and luxury cosmetics,” according to its mission statement, with licensing agreements for the Versace, Moschino, Alessandro dell’Acqua and John Richmond high fashion fragrances. Based in Cavenago di Brianza, outside Milan, in 2012 Euroitalia took home the Accademia del Profumo’s award for best women’s fragrance made in Italy with Versace Yellow Diamond, and this year its Versace men’s fragrance, Eros, is in the running.
• Perfume Holding — the result of a 2010 merger between Italian firm Morris Profumi and the French company Selective Beauty — has three main branches: Paris, for marketing and creation; Milan, for sales and finance, and Parma, for manufacturing. Controlled by Investindustrial and the Orlando private equity fund, Perfume Holding holds fragrance licenses for John Galliano, La Perla, Ferrari, Ducati, Fiorucci and Iceberg, among others.
• Before it was a division of Coswell Group, Eurocosmesi, created in 1988, was part of Guaber, and it, too, staked out Italy’s selective perfumery market, with licenses including Byblos, Renato Balestra and Gandini. In 1989 the Swiss skin care brand Transvital joined the fold, promoted through the Swiss Beauty Center at Cortina D’Ampezzo’s ritzy Cristallo Hotel Spa & Golf. See a List of Italian Manufacturing Districts Here >>
@chanel and @pharrell dropped what’s being dubbed as the world’s most exclusive sneakers yesterday. The Adidas Originals NMD Hu, which Williams designed in collaboration with Chanel and @adidasoriginals, has a waiting list of over 120K people who pre-registered online at chanelatcolette.fr –– and only 500 pairs are on sale. The singer predicted the resale value of the shoes could reach $40K. Read the full interview on WWD.com. Link in bio. #wwdfashion
@imanshumpert is diving deeper into his creative endeavors and relaunching his clothing line, Post 90s, and is helping to raise money for the hurricane victims in St. Maarten with a jersey he’s designed with his brother. The Cleveland Cavaliers player talked to WWD about kneeling during the national anthem, working with fashion brands and how he wants to be more than an @nba player. Read the interview on WWD.com #wwdfashion (📷: George Chinese)
Not only does #TheProfit return to CNBC tonight, but @marcuslemonis has launched @shopmarcus, a new shopping and lifestyle retail experience in Aspen and Chicago, with more locations to come. The retail stores offer in-store stylists and a variety of contemporary womenswear selections.
“It’s life, I’m going to face it,” @mingxi11 sighed. “I fell, but you know, I think the most important thing is that I get back up. I had the love, the help from my sister — the girl next to me Gizele [Oliveira] — she’s so nice. When I went backstage everybody was trying to comfort me like ‘Oh Ming, it’s OK.’ I’m really, really touched. I think it’s them who gave me the courage to go back on stage for the finale,” Xi told WWD of her fall at the @victoriassecret fashion show. (📷: David Fisher) #wwdfashion #vsfashionshow #victoriassecret
@louisvuitton tapped @therealpeterlindbergh for its latest city-centric photo book, which is part of a series called Fashion Eye. The primarily black and white book captures the spirit of Berlin in 57 images shot between 1989 and 2019. “Berlin is an inspiration for me, more than a city. I mean @millajovovich is simply Berlin!” said Lindbergh. #wwdfashion
“You know, I think audiences expect a certain performance so I have to deliver to them what they’re expecting to a certain degree. But I’m also a different actor and a different person, I have my own spin on the character,” says @noahegalvin of his takeover of the leading role in “Dear Evan Hansen” following the departure of @bensplatt, who originated the role. Read WWD’s interview with the 23-year-old actor on WWD.com #wwdeye (📷: @jilliansollazzo)
For pre-fall 2018, @etro created richly-colored wonderland, using tapestries, textiles and wallpapers from the Eastern world at large. The line featured floral and graphic prints and jacquard motifs, like this two-piece look featured here. #wwdfashion (📷: Giovanna Pavesi)
@kith is moving into children’s. The men’s and women’s streetwear brand has launched Kidset, a Kith kids line located in New York at 64 Bleecker Street. The line includes mini versions of staple Kith pieces like the Astor bomber jacket and the Kith box logo sweatshirts, along with a wall that can display up to 120 pairs of shoes from @adidas, @newbalance, @timberland and more. #wwdfashion
“I just wanted to create this fully rounded character, but I do think what excited me most was just the opportunity to give a group of people representation that I feel needs it. I like to do characters in projects that stand for something and Karolina definitely does, so that was really exciting to me,” @ginnygardner says of her new role in @hulu’s “The Runaways.” Gardner plays Karolina Dean, a queer superhero, which is a rarity for @marvel. Read more about Gardner’s character on WWD.com #wwdeye (📷: @dandoperalski)