Beauty industry executives met at the Four Seasons restaurant Thursday morning to acknowledge the year’s most inspiring achievements at the sixth annual WWD Beauty Biz Awards.
The breakfast celebrated innovative products, fresh marketing methods and other significant 2008 beauty exploits.
Among the attendees were Bernd Beetz, chief executive officer of Coty Inc.; Thia Breen, Lynne Greene and Aerin Lauder of the Estée Lauder Cos. Inc; Pamela Baxter, president of Christian Dior’s U.S. division and LVMH Moët Hennessy Louis Vuitton’s perfume and cosmetics group; Joseph Campinell, president of L’Oréal’s consumer products group, and Carol Hamilton, president of its luxury products division, and Iain Holding, president of Beiersdorf Inc.
Opening the event was Wendy Liebmann, ceo and self-dubbed chief shopper of WSL Strategic Retail. Citing her firm’s latest report, “How America Shops in Crisis,” Liebmann provided insight on consumer shopping trends during the current economic downturn, emphasizing the importance of innovation and inspiration to make products and brands compelling.
Twenty eight awards were presented at the breakfast. Here, the complete list.
• Breakthrough Product of the Year, Prestige: Harajuku Lovers (fragrance), Intelligent Nutrients (hair), Tria Laser (skin), Givenchy Phenomen’Eyes Mascara (color cosmetics).
• Breakthrough Product of the Year, Mass: Bath & Body Works Black Amethyst (fragrance), Clairol Nice ’n Easy Perfect 10 (hair), Dr. Miracle’s My Goodbye Acne System (skin), Physicians Formula Organic Wear (color cosmetics).
• Newcomer of the Year: Francesco Clark of Clark’s Botanicals (person), Yes to Carrots (brand).
• Most Innovative Ad Campaign: Calvin Klein Secret Obsession (prestige), Maybelline New York Garnier (mass).
• Most Innovative Marketer of the Year, Prestige: Dior (company), Nicky Kinnaird of Space NK (person).
• Most Innovative Marketer of the Year, Mass: Target (company), Esi Eggleston Bracey of P&G (person).
• Retailer of the Year: Macy’s (department), CVS Beauty 360 (mass), HSN (electronic), Pure Beauty (specialty).
• Best Executed Launch Strategy, Prestige: Estée Lauder Sensuous (fragrance), Sebastian Professional (hair), Clinique Medical (skin), Lancôme Oscillation (color cosmetics).
• Best Executed Launch Strategy, Mass: Avon Products (fragrance), Sally Hershberger Supreme Head (hair), Nivea Good-bye Cellulite Body Program (skin), Sally Hansen Natural Beauty Inspired by Carmindy (color cosmetics).
@chanel and @pharrell dropped what’s being dubbed as the world’s most exclusive sneakers yesterday. The Adidas Originals NMD Hu, which Williams designed in collaboration with Chanel and @adidasoriginals, has a waiting list of over 120K people who pre-registered online at chanelatcolette.fr –– and only 500 pairs are on sale. The singer predicted the resale value of the shoes could reach $40K. Read the full interview on WWD.com. Link in bio. #wwdfashion
@imanshumpert is diving deeper into his creative endeavors and relaunching his clothing line, Post 90s, and is helping to raise money for the hurricane victims in St. Maarten with a jersey he’s designed with his brother. The Cleveland Cavaliers player talked to WWD about kneeling during the national anthem, working with fashion brands and how he wants to be more than an @nba player. Read the interview on WWD.com #wwdfashion (📷: George Chinese)
Not only does #TheProfit return to CNBC tonight, but @marcuslemonis has launched @shopmarcus, a new shopping and lifestyle retail experience in Aspen and Chicago, with more locations to come. The retail stores offer in-store stylists and a variety of contemporary womenswear selections.
“It’s life, I’m going to face it,” @mingxi11 sighed. “I fell, but you know, I think the most important thing is that I get back up. I had the love, the help from my sister — the girl next to me Gizele [Oliveira] — she’s so nice. When I went backstage everybody was trying to comfort me like ‘Oh Ming, it’s OK.’ I’m really, really touched. I think it’s them who gave me the courage to go back on stage for the finale,” Xi told WWD of her fall at the @victoriassecret fashion show. (📷: David Fisher) #wwdfashion #vsfashionshow #victoriassecret
@louisvuitton tapped @therealpeterlindbergh for its latest city-centric photo book, which is part of a series called Fashion Eye. The primarily black and white book captures the spirit of Berlin in 57 images shot between 1989 and 2019. “Berlin is an inspiration for me, more than a city. I mean @millajovovich is simply Berlin!” said Lindbergh. #wwdfashion
“You know, I think audiences expect a certain performance so I have to deliver to them what they’re expecting to a certain degree. But I’m also a different actor and a different person, I have my own spin on the character,” says @noahegalvin of his takeover of the leading role in “Dear Evan Hansen” following the departure of @bensplatt, who originated the role. Read WWD’s interview with the 23-year-old actor on WWD.com #wwdeye (📷: @jilliansollazzo)
For pre-fall 2018, @etro created richly-colored wonderland, using tapestries, textiles and wallpapers from the Eastern world at large. The line featured floral and graphic prints and jacquard motifs, like this two-piece look featured here. #wwdfashion (📷: Giovanna Pavesi)
@kith is moving into children’s. The men’s and women’s streetwear brand has launched Kidset, a Kith kids line located in New York at 64 Bleecker Street. The line includes mini versions of staple Kith pieces like the Astor bomber jacket and the Kith box logo sweatshirts, along with a wall that can display up to 120 pairs of shoes from @adidas, @newbalance, @timberland and more. #wwdfashion
“I just wanted to create this fully rounded character, but I do think what excited me most was just the opportunity to give a group of people representation that I feel needs it. I like to do characters in projects that stand for something and Karolina definitely does, so that was really exciting to me,” @ginnygardner says of her new role in @hulu’s “The Runaways.” Gardner plays Karolina Dean, a queer superhero, which is a rarity for @marvel. Read more about Gardner’s character on WWD.com #wwdeye (📷: @dandoperalski)