Beauty industry executives met at the Four Seasons restaurant Thursday morning to acknowledge the year’s most inspiring achievements at the sixth annual WWD Beauty Biz Awards.
The breakfast celebrated innovative products, fresh marketing methods and other significant 2008 beauty exploits.
Among the attendees were Bernd Beetz, chief executive officer of Coty Inc.; Thia Breen, Lynne Greene and Aerin Lauder of the Estée Lauder Cos. Inc; Pamela Baxter, president of Christian Dior’s U.S. division and LVMH Moët Hennessy Louis Vuitton’s perfume and cosmetics group; Joseph Campinell, president of L’Oréal’s consumer products group, and Carol Hamilton, president of its luxury products division, and Iain Holding, president of Beiersdorf Inc.
Opening the event was Wendy Liebmann, ceo and self-dubbed chief shopper of WSL Strategic Retail. Citing her firm’s latest report, “How America Shops in Crisis,” Liebmann provided insight on consumer shopping trends during the current economic downturn, emphasizing the importance of innovation and inspiration to make products and brands compelling.
Twenty eight awards were presented at the breakfast. Here, the complete list.
• Breakthrough Product of the Year, Prestige: Harajuku Lovers (fragrance), Intelligent Nutrients (hair), Tria Laser (skin), Givenchy Phenomen’Eyes Mascara (color cosmetics).
• Breakthrough Product of the Year, Mass: Bath & Body Works Black Amethyst (fragrance), Clairol Nice ’n Easy Perfect 10 (hair), Dr. Miracle’s My Goodbye Acne System (skin), Physicians Formula Organic Wear (color cosmetics).
• Newcomer of the Year: Francesco Clark of Clark’s Botanicals (person), Yes to Carrots (brand).
• Most Innovative Ad Campaign: Calvin Klein Secret Obsession (prestige), Maybelline New York Garnier (mass).
• Most Innovative Marketer of the Year, Prestige: Dior (company), Nicky Kinnaird of Space NK (person).
• Most Innovative Marketer of the Year, Mass: Target (company), Esi Eggleston Bracey of P&G (person).
• Retailer of the Year: Macy’s (department), CVS Beauty 360 (mass), HSN (electronic), Pure Beauty (specialty).
• Best Executed Launch Strategy, Prestige: Estée Lauder Sensuous (fragrance), Sebastian Professional (hair), Clinique Medical (skin), Lancôme Oscillation (color cosmetics).
• Best Executed Launch Strategy, Mass: Avon Products (fragrance), Sally Hershberger Supreme Head (hair), Nivea Good-bye Cellulite Body Program (skin), Sally Hansen Natural Beauty Inspired by Carmindy (color cosmetics).
@juicebeauty, where @gwynethpaltrow holds the title of creative director of makeup, has become one of the foremost labels in the organic beauty category –– with sales on track to hit $100 million this year. What’s behind the rapid growth the brand is experiencing right now? It all started in 2005 when the wellness movement was just getting started. Read more on WWD.com. #wwdbeauty
Stay up to do date with breaking news and trending stories with WWD’s “The Essentialist.” Our newsletter delivers the top news in fashion right to your inbox. Want more info? Link in bio. #wwdfashion (📷: @kukukuba)
"I want to tell a story that inspires people to feel good about themselves, but also I'm making a commentary about the lack of female stories and female directors and saying this should change," said @imheathergraham on her latest project "Half Magic." The comedy feature, which the actress wrote and directed, is based on her own struggles as a woman in show business. Read @andrewnodell's full interview with Graham on WWD.com. #wwdeye (📷: @jgreenery)
@meltcosmetics cofounders @lora_arellano and @danabomar built their brand on a single idea: a true matte lipstick. To set the brand apart, they said they always put their customers first –– including a personalized note in each package. #wwdsummits #wwdbeauty
@moncler unveiled its latest project, #MonclerGenius, yesterday at Milan Fashion Week. The Italian outwear maker gave show-goers a preview of the monthly collections – which were created by eight designers and creative talents including Pierpaolo Piccioli, Simone Rocha, Craig Green and more – that will start rolling out in the summer.