By  on June 3, 2010

Green makeup brand Nvey Eco is launching a line of brushes — with compostable handles to boot.

Called the Eco Friendly Makeup Brush Range, the collection includes nine brushes, ranging in price from $22 for the Brow Comb/Brush to $54 for the Powder Brush.

The brushes, which are sold separately, are due to reach econveybeauty.com and macys.com in July. They are also slated to reach chain-wide distribution at Urban Outfitters by yearend.

The brushes’ handles are made of a resin derived from corn that’s not genetically modified and whose compostability is certified by Vinçotte Belgium, according to Nvey Eco.

While they are designed to not leave traces of toxins — and their ferrules are recyclable — the brushes are neither recyclable nor biodegradable. Rather, old brushes are meant to be mailed to Nvey Eco’s offices in Covington, Ky., after which customers are to receive a discount voucher applicable to Nvey Eco products. The firm pledges to separate and send the brush handles to an industrial composting facility. Nvey Eco has also slated for its Web site a list of industrial composting facilities in the U.S., and the brushes can be composted in one’s backyard, the firm maintains.

“We are known as an artistry company with a core focus on eco-friendly makeup,” said Rohan Widdison, founder and chief executive officer of Australia-based Nvey Eco. “Our new brush line takes the next step in our evolution.”

The brushes, which use synthetic fibers, were developed by a creative team led by Nvey Eco artists and educators Down Under. Nvey Eco, which launched its organic makeup line in 2005, claims to be 98 percent organic, with the remaining 2 percent of ingredients comprising purified water. Products are certified organic by the Organic Food Chain and are also Australian Government Certified.

The Nvey Eco assortment includes foundations, powders and blush, concealer, eye and lip colors and cosmetics accessories. The brand is found in more than 30 countries.

The full collection of brushes includes the blush brush and foundation brush, both $45; concealer brush, eyeliner brush, lip liner brush and a small eye shadow brush, all $26, and the large eye shadow brush, $28.

To Read the Full Article
SUBSCRIBE NOW

Tap into our Global Network

Of Industry Leaders and Designers

load comments
blog comments powered by Disqus