Shiseido is introducing a series of new and reformulated products under its Clé de Peau Beauté brand, including night sky-inspired color cosmetics for fall, a base makeup series, a reformulated body collection and additions to its skin-care range.
“Never before has Clé de Peau Beauté had such a robust lineup of new product offerings spanning every important category,” said Heidi Manheimer, chief executive officer of Shiseido Cosmetics America. She added that the service component will also be beefed up as the company launches its iPad consultation program in stores this fall.
To that end, Keiichi Fujii, general manager of Shiseido’s Clé de Peau Beauté global unit, said the newly formulated foundation will be the first in a series of relaunches of the brand’s base makeup offering. He said that rather than to weigh down or mattify the skin, the new makeup is designed to enhance the skin’s natural radiance, giving it a slightly dewy effect.
Actress Amanda Seyfried, the face of the brand who was in Tokyo earlier this summer, said using the product on her skin feels like she’s “wearing nothing.”
Seyfried, dressed in a sparkling metallic dress with a black lace overlay, had been sightseeing with friends and boyfriend Justin Long. While this is her fourth visit to Japan, she said it’s the first time she’s had time to really explore the country. She visited the famous Tsukiji fish market, and was excited to head to the historic city of Kyoto for the first time.
Along with the new foundation, which will go on sale in the U.S. on Aug. 1 and globally on Sept. 21, the brand will also be releasing foundation brushes for the first time. Prices for the series will run between 5,000 yen, or $45 at current exchange, for the brushes and 12,000 yen, or $125, for the 30-ml. bottle of foundation.
“In the past there were many cases of young people first coming to the brand for its foundation, and while we’ve made various changes over the years, we realized we needed to release something new that is really designed in the context of today,” Fujii said. “Women’s requests have become more stringent, and they want something that has as high a value as possible for the price.”
As for the fall color collection, which was inspired by the night sky, the shades are more “mysterious” than previous collections and include dark purples, blush pinks and several shimmering metallic shades such as gold, silver, copper and bronze. Shiseido is putting a big emphasis on eight eye shadow quads selling for 5,000 yen, or $55, each. The fall color collection bows globally next month.
To market the new items, Clé de Peau Beauté will be supporting all of the launches with in-store events, sampling, direct mail and co-op advertising throughout the fall season.
Although he declined to give sales figures, Fujii said that Clé de Peau Beauté has been performing well, particularly in markets outside of Japan, where it grew about 10 percent last year. While sales in Japan took a hit when the country raised its consumption tax in April, he said that the final days before the tax hike saw a huge surge as customers stocked up on their favorite products. As of May, he said the sales are recovering, but were still about 10 percent lower than normal levels.
Meanwhile, roughly 80 percent of Clé de Peau Beauté’s sales come from Japan, with the remaining 20 percent divided between China and elsewhere in Asia, the U.S. and, as of about one year ago, Russia. Currently, Clé de Peau Beauté is distributed in 100 stores in the U.S.
In a separate but related announcement, Shiseido said that it will begin selling in September the Synactif line, which also falls under the Clé de Peau Beauté brand. Currently the line is sold under the name Synergique in Japan, but that will change to match the naming used in other markets.
Manheimer added, “This season Synactif evolves with a new design, enhanced ingredient complex and addition of a new brightening service to further deliver synergistic, comprehensive and dramatic antiaging, lifting and resculpting results.”
Industry sources estimate that the new and reformulated products will generate total global retail sales of $175 million during the first year on counter.
@serenawilliams, in @versace and a @bulgariofficial necklace, with @alexisohanian attending the #royalwedding at St. George’s Chapel. See all of the celebrities in attendance on WWD.com. #wwdeye #wwdfashion
The wait is over: Meghan Markle picks @givenchyofficial’s Clare Waight Keller for her wedding dress. Markle entered St. George’s Chapel in a Givenchy Haute Couture gown paired with Queen Mary’s Diamond Bandeau Tiara, loaned to her by The Queen. Read more on WWD.com - Link in bio. #wwdnews #wwdfashion #royalwedding