Wesley R. Card, the new president and chief executive officer of Jones Apparel Group Inc., is shaking up management in the women’s sportswear divisions, which include Anne Klein, Jones New York and Nine West.
Card, who replaced Peter Boneparth at the helm of the $4.74 billion vendor, has promoted three executives and brought back a Jones veteran from retirement to replace Lynne Cote. Cote stepped down last Thursday as ceo of wholesale sportswear, suits and dresses. Card declined to comment on the reasons for Cote’s abrupt departure, and she couldn’t be reached for comment.
Cote, 41, moved into the newly created divisional ceo post in 2005. She was previously ceo of moderate apparel at Jones. Previously, she was executive vice president of merchandising for Norton McNaughton.
“I look forward to working with such a great team of executives who have served Jones over the years,” Card said.
The executives are:
– Susan Metzger, president of sales and marketing for better sportswear, has been promoted to ceo of women’s better sportswear. Metzger, 53, has been with Jones for 11 years. She will report to Card.
– Susan A. Rieland, chief merchandising officer for bridge and lifestyle sportswear, will take over as chief merchandising officer for all women’s sportswear brands. Rieland, 48, has worked at Jones for almost 13 years and will report to Metzger.
– Gregg I. Marks, 54, will continue as ceo of Jones’ suit and dress divisions, but will report to Card. (Metzger, Rieland and Marks previously reported to Cote.)
– Ronald Harrison, 59, has rejoined Jones as executive vice president of corporate quality and production. Harrison, returning after a brief retirement, spent 23 years in Jones’ production and quality areas. He will report to Card.
– Douglas Means, executive vice president of corporate supply chain and logistics, will serve as executive vice president of production for better sportswear. Means, 41, has been with Jones for 15 years and will report to Card.
This story first appeared in the July 24, 2007 issue of WWD. Subscribe Today.