René Furterer is aiming to simplify fighting frizz.
Since the professional brand’s current frizz-fighting range, Fioravanti, has been found to be “a bit confusing,” said Thierry Chenain, president of René Furterer, “we decided to use new technology and focus a new line specifically on antifrizz and controlling flyaways.” Fioravanti, he explained, also makes items that address shine and volume, sending it into “Who is this for?” territory.
So, as Furterer currently phases out the antifrizz portion of Fioravanti, a new frizz-fighting line, Myrrhea Anti-Frizz, is set to launch. Myrrhea Anti-Frizz enters salons in October; it launched to Sephora this month, and is expected to generate more than $5 million in first-year sales. Industry sources estimate the $140 million global brand generates about $30 million in the U.S., up 20 percent over the previous year, attributed to increased distribution. About 70 percent of the brand’s distribution comprises salons; the other 30 percent is specialty stores.
While antifrizz products became must-have items in the early Nineties, most notably with mass market John Frieda’s Frizz Ease, Chenain said that today eight out of 10 women use frizz-fighting items.
Pierre Fabre, Furterer’s Paris-based parent, helped the salon brand uncover two new ingredients to update formulas. The first is myrrhea, of which the line is named after, to coat hair and eliminate frizz and flyaways. Avocado oil is used to relax the hair fiber and nourish dry hair.
An oriental floral aroma uses lemon and orange as its top notes, rose and violet as its middle notes and amber oriental as its base note. The line will consist of three items, a Silkening Shampoo ($23), a Silkening Conditioner (3.7-oz. tube for $23) and a leave-in Silkening Fluid ($30).
To market the new line the brand has created new in-store visuals that combine images of nature and technology. Point-of-sale material has also been created to promote the products.
Packaging of Myrrhea is now red, a departure from the usual green bottles most Furterer items use.
@zacposen's go-to holiday gift? Cookies! "I'll usually bake cookies and send them as a gift," said the designer, who recently released his cookbook "Cooking With Zac: Recipes from Rustic to Refined." Get the recipe for his Brown Butter-Chocolate Chip Cookies via link in bio 🍪🍪🍪 #wwdeye #cookingwithzac
For @monsemaison’s pre-fall 2018 collection, Fernando Garcia and Laura Kim honed in on the brand’s many signatures — men’s wear, which was tweaked and feminized through deconstruction, proportion play and lots of bare shoulders. See the rest of the photos on WWD.com #wwdfashion (📷: George Chinese)
On Friday night, @yohjiyamamotoofficial received the Design for Asia Lifetime Achievement Award in Hong Kong. The 75-year-old designer has been celebrated for many years and is best known for his dark and avant-garde tailoring. “In my long career, in design, architecture, [I’ve been to] so many parties, this is the very first time that I have such a warm feeling, I really appreciate this,” Yamamoto said. #wwdfashion (📷: @dominiquemaitre)
Discovery is collaborating with British pop artist @philipcolbert on a new line of clothing and accessories called Discovery Shark. The collection, which will launch next summer for Shark Week’s 30th anniversary, features a whimsical line of women’s and men’s bomber jackets, sweatshirts, bags and more. #wwdfashion
“I’m always a big champion of a female rapper, and I’m glad to see a new voice that feels unique and authentic that’s coming up, and I think we’re going to see more great things from her,” said @itsjeremyscott about @iamcardib, who performed at @moschino’s Art Basel Miami Beach party last night. #wwdeye (📷: @lexieblacklock)
@janellemonae’s “What’s Your Frequency?” room in @refinery29's #29Rooms made its debut this week at the opening of the Los Angeles art exhibit. “It’s about the ongoing conversation around mass surveillance, the weaponization of technology and cultural uniformity. My space was created so that we can come together and talk about the complexities of our humanity,” said Monáe. #wwdeye (📷: @bucknerphoto)
@pantone announced their Color of the Year 2018: Ultra Violet. Nearly 20 months after the musician Prince’s death, fashion is having a purple moment. Varying shades of purple appeared on spring or fall runways, from @christopherkane to @calvinklein. @gucci’s Alessandro Michele bathed his fall runway in ultra violet-colored light at one point. Pantone 18-3838 is meant to “push the boundaries of what inspires us to look upward and outward to the future.” #wwdnews #wwdfashion (📷: @kukukuba)