Environmental activist and Natural Resources Defense Council trustee Elizabeth Wiatt is spreading the word about leading an eco-conscious lifestyle. The mission of the council is “to safeguard the earth, its people, its plants and animals, and the natural systems on which all life depends.” Often accompanied by her husband, Jim, chief executive officer and chairman of the William Morris Talent Agency, she can be seen all over Los Angeles championing her cause alongside celebrities including Mandy Moore, Alicia Silverstone and Rita Wilson. “I have two small children, so protecting the planet is important to me, but it’s also my gift to them,” she explains. Here, Wiatt, the contributing editor of SimpleSteps.org, a Web site devoted to healthy lifestyles, shares some of her favorite beauty, household and entertaining tips, so we can all go green.
This story first appeared in the August 10, 2007 issue of WWD. Subscribe Today.
- Look for products in eco-friendly packaging made with natural and organic ingredients like Cargo PlantLove Botanical lipsticks.
- Unplug your hair dryer and curling iron since they continue to use energy even when turned off.
- Buy large- or bulk-size beauty products so you use less plastic.
- Use post-consumer recycled paper products such as tissue and toilet paper.
- Contact cosmetic companies and tell them it is important to you that they stop using harmful chemicals and wasteful packaging.
- Buy eco-friendly cleaning products such as Shaklee and Seventh Generation.
- Make sure you fix leaky faucets.
- Put a brick in your toilet tank so it displaces some of the unneeded water. You’ll be surprised at how much water you can save without having to replace your toilet with a low-flow model.
- Use cloth instead of paper napkins. They’re more stylish anyway!
- Use filtered water instead of plastic-bottled water.
- Try soy-based candlelight instead of electricity.
- E-vite your guests instead of sending out paper invitations.
- Plan your menu around locally grown organic produce.