Most Recent Articles In People
Latest People Articles
- Burt’s Bees Cofounder Spotlighted in New Book Amid Park-Related Controversy
- Photographer Gosta Peterson Finds Himself in the Spotlight
- Children’s Hair-Care Brand SoCozy Taps Denise James
More Articles By
• April 1970: Aerin Lauder is born in New York City.
This story first appeared in the May 14, 2013 issue of WWD. Subscribe Today.
• May 1992: Lauder graduates from University of Pennsylvania’s Annenberg School of Communications with a major in communications.
• September 1992: Lauder begins her beauty career at Estée Lauder as a member of the Prescriptives marketing team.
• January 1995: Lauder is appointed director of creative product development at Estée Lauder.
• June 1996: Lauder marries Eric Zinterhofer in Wainscott, N.Y.
• December 1999: Lauder cochairs the Metropolitan Museum’s Costume Institute Gala & Exhibit.
• April 2001: She is named vice president of global advertising for Estée Lauder.
• July 2004: Lauder rises to senior vice president and creative director for Estée Lauder.
• August 2007: Lauder presents — and appears in the ad campaign for — the Estée Lauder Private Collection, a range of three scents designed to evoke the founder’s spirit in a modern way. The debut scent, Private Collection Tuberose Gardenia, is a “sensual floral” that features a blend of her grandmother’s favorite white flowers. Two more scents, Private Collection Amber Ylang Ylang and Private Collection Jasmine White Moss, follow in subsequent months.
• April 2011: Lauder becomes the style and image director for Estée Lauder, a post she still holds.
• April 2011: Aerin LLC, a multicategory luxury goods business, is launched with the goal of offering accessories, jewelry, eyewear, home products and beauty items that reflect Lauder’s vision of classic American beauty. Her first licenses include a partnership with the Lenox Corporation and Estée Lauder Inc.
RELATED STORY: Aerin Lauder, Building on a Family’s Legacy >>
• December 2011: Aerin LLC launches social media channels, beginning with Tumblr and Twitter, to help communicate more directly with consumers.
• June 2012: Facebook and Pinterest pages are created to share Lauder’s inspiration and brand DNA with consumers.
• August 2012: The World of Aerin blog is established, featuring interviews with various tastemakers and posts about Lauder’s personal passions like family, travel and art.
• September 2012: Aerin Beauty launches with eight permanent products designed to create natural, stylish looks. Prices range from $28 for a Rose Lip Conditioner to $148 for a brush set in soft pink packaging.
• October 2012: Aerin Home Fragrance is introduced, in collaboration with Nest Fragrances. The range, which pays homage to flowers and is housed in hand-blown glass vessels that resemble Lauder’s Venetian glass collection, includes Lauder’s favorite, Pink Climbing Rose.
• November 2012: Aerin.com established with e-commerce. A site update with optimized features will be introduced in June.
• November 2012: Aerin Home Accessories is introduced with The Home Objet collection, a range of home accents, priced from $60 to $1,350, inspired by different moments in Lauder’s life.
RELATED STORY: Aerin Lauder’s Licensees, Interpreting a Vision >>
• December 2012: Lauder wins the WWD Beauty Inc Award for Launch of the Year in Prestige for the Aerin Beauty line.
• January 2013: Lauder, who takes a hands-on approach to all her social media outlets, launches on Instagram as a way to share her day-to-day inspirations. To keep it as personal as possible,
she takes all her own Instagram photos.
• March 2013: Aerin fashion accessories begin to roll out with Aerin Erickson Beamon jewelry, Aerin footwear (created with Jimlar) and Oliver Peoples for Aerin sunglasses. Priced between $150 and $1,000, the spring collections from Aerin Erickson Beamon and the shoe line, which ranges between $148 and $368, were inspired by international beach destinations. Oliver Peoples for Aerin launches with three oversize tortoise-shell frames, $340 each, in colors inspired by the Aerin Beauty line.
• April 2013: Aerin’s lighting, furniture and fabrics lines, created in conjunction with Visual Comfort & Co., E.J. Victor and Lee Jofa, respectively, make their debut at High Point Market. These lines interpret French, Italian and Austrian design between the Thirties and Seventies, in both decorative and minimal styles. The collections will be available in consumers in September 2013.
• April 2013: Aerin Home Fragrance wins the Fragrance Foundation Award for Interior Scent Collection of the Year.
• May 2013: Lauder begins a partnership with philanthropic organization First Book. Her initial donation provides 100,000 books to children in need in the Los Angeles area. Moving forward, Lauder will donate a portion of the proceeds from special products to First Book.
• May 2013: Lauder opens her first retail location in Southampton, a seasonal concept store open through holiday 2013.
• November 2013: “Beauty at Home,” her first book, $60, will be introduced. It will incorporate tips on entertaining and interior design, and is published by Potter Style.