- MARKS AND SPENCER EXPANDS IN INDIA: Marks and Spencer Group plc said it plans to launch 50 stores in India over the next five years with Reliance Industries. Together, the two companies have invested 29 million pounds, or $57 million at current exchange, in the business. M&S said it will take a 51 percent interest in the new company, called Marks and Spencer Reliance India Pvt Ltd., while Reliance Retail will control the remaining 49 percent. M&S has 14 franchise stores in India run by Planet Retail, and the company said it expected to continue to run those stores. The new deal is part of M&S' strategy to grow its international business to make up between 15 and 20 percent of the group's revenues within the next five years. Last month, the company signed a joint venture with its Eastern European franchise partner, COMS, to open 30 stores in Central and Eastern Europe over the next few years.
- LOEHMANN'S PICKS POLITZER: Loehmann's named Jerry Politzer chief executive officer Tuesday, confirming an April 16 report in WWD. He succeeds Robert Friedman, who is retiring, but will serve as vice chairman of Loehmann's board and a consultant to parent company Istithmar World Capital. Politzer was most recently president of Value City Department Stores. Loehmann's has "exceptional growth potential," Politzer said. The off-pricer has more than 60 stores in 17 states.
- HARTMARX DEAL: Hartmarx Corp. has signed a deal with Airwair International Ltd. and R Griggs Group Ltd., the holders of the worldwide license for Dr. Martens, to manufacture and market women's and men's casual apparel under the Dr. Martens name. The sportswear will be made, marketed and sold by HMX Sportswear Inc., a New York-based subsidiary of Chicago-based Hartmarx. The launch collection will feature men's wear for fall 2009, followed by women's apparel in 2010. The lines will include denim jeans, cotton shirts, sweatshirts and outerwear.
@margotrobbie steps out onto the red carpet wearing @miumiu. The actress is nominated for “Outstanding Performance by a Female Actor in a Leading Role” in “I, Tonya” at the #SagAwards. (📷: Stewart Cook) #wwdfashion
For @massimogiorgetti of @msgm, the Nineties are his favorite decade. “They had a huge impact on my personal growth. What I like of the Nineties is that they are not so precise in terms of style as other decades…there was actually a bit of everything,” he said. As seen on MSGM’s Spring 2018 show: tie-dye and a bit of grunge, two styles that are synonymous with the decade #wwdfashion #wwddecades (📷: @kukukuba)
Breaking News: @hedislimane joins @celine as its new artistic, creative and image director. One of fashion’s preeminent image-makers and trendsetters, Slimane is to join the LVMH brand on Feb. 1 and unveil his first fashion proposition for men and women next September during Paris Fashion Week. It marks a major homecoming for Slimane, who cemented his reputation – and influenced men’s tailoring for more than a decade – as the designer of Dior Homme between 2000 and 2007. He went on to reinvent and ignite the house of Yves Saint Laurent, which he rechristened Saint Laurent, between 2012 and 2016 – all the while maintaining a close relationship with the Arnault family, which controls LVMH and Dior. Read the full exclusive story on WWD.com. Link in bio. #wwdnews #wwdfashion
“Personally I believe the Eighties have been the richest and more vivacious period for international fashion,” Giorgio Armani said when asked what his favorite decade of fashion is. It was a moment of disruption and experimentation and only thinking back to the first years of that decade is always an emotion for me, for what they have meant to me and my work.” The influence is clear in @giorgioarmani spring 2018 collection, pictured here, which was full of bright colors and unexpected prints. Read more about which decades designers loved most on WWD.com #wwdfashion #wwddecades (📷: @aitorrosasphoto)
For Lady Gaga’s only Italian show on her “Joanne World Tour,” the singer wore a range of @versace_official outfits. The standout piece: this custom-made bodysuit inspired by the brand’s spring 2018 collection. #wwdfashion (RG: @ladygaga)
@_camillaruth_ is expanding on the wellness-craze concept with @westbourne – a new NYC restaurant that’s both a healthy-minded café as well as a business that gives back to the community. Marcus works with the Robin Hood foundation to give back to The Door, a non-profit providing youth development services, and also hires employees through The Door. Read our full interview with Marcus on giving back through food on WWD.com. #wwdeye (📷: @lexieblacklock)