1939: Maxwell F. Marcuse establishes the Laboratory Institute of Merchandising at 45 West 34th Street. 1941: The first graduating class comprises 79 women who receive a one-year certificate. 1944: The school holds its first fashion show produced and directed by students.■ LIM’s newspaper is renamed LIMLIGHT. 1947: Two-year program is added. 1950: The first fashion show of the Fifties is entitled “Flowers of the Hours.” 1959: LIM moves to 677 Fifth Avenue. 1962: Adrian G. Marcuse, Maxwell’s son, joins the college as vice president. 1965: The school purchases its flagship building, The Townhouse, at 12 East 53rd Street. 1971: London work-study program is established through cooperation with Selfridges Department Store.■ Associate in occupational studies degree-granting powers are authorized.■ College officially becomes coed. 1972: Adrian G. Marcuse becomes president.■ First associate’s degree is awarded.■ Florencio Ramos becomes first male LIM graduate. 1977: School is accredited by the Middle States Association of Colleges & Schools.■ LIM Fashion Education Foundation is founded.RELATED STORY: LIM College Celebrates 75 Years >> 1978: Maxwell F. Marcuse dies. 1982: LIM is authorized to grant the Bachelor of Professional Studies degree. 1996: Bachelor of Business Administration in fashion merchandising degree is authorized. 1998: Bachelor of Business Administration in marketing is approved. 2001: Elizabeth S. Marcuse, Adrian’s daughter and Maxwell’s granddaughter, joins LIM as vice president and chief operating officer. 2002: Elizabeth S. Marcuse becomes president. 2003: Bachelor of Business Administration in visual merchandising is approved. 2004: Maxwell Hall at 216 East 45th Street is added. 2006: The school expands to include 545 Fifth Avenue at 45th Street. ■ Enrollment reaches 1,000. 2007: Ribbon cutting held for the newly renovated Townhouse. 2008: Master of Business Administration degree-granting powers are authorized.■ A student residence opens at 1760 Third Avenue. 2009: M.B.A. expands to fashion merchandising and entrepreneurship.■ School is renamed LIM College and starts using the tag line “Where Business Meets Fashion.” 2011: The Townhouse at 12 East 53rd Street designated a New York City landmark.■ The first “Fashion: Now & Then” symposium is sponsored by the Adrian G. Marcuse Library. 2012: Master of Professional Studies in fashion merchandising and retail management is approved. 2013: Master of Professional Studies in fashion marketing is approved.■ A track in home fashions is added to the Bachelor of Business Administration degree.■ Mu Rho Chapter of Delta Mu Delta comes to campus. 2014: LIM College celebrates its 75th anniversary.■ The school launches a Bachelor of Science in International Business and a Master’s of Professional Studies in Visual Merchandising for the fall semester. SOURCE: LIM COLLEGE

To continue reading this article...

To Read the Full Article

Tap into our Global Network

Of Industry Leaders and Designers

load comments
blog comments powered by Disqus