1939: Maxwell F. Marcuse establishes the Laboratory Institute of Merchandising at 45 West 34th Street.

1941: The first graduating class comprises 79 women who receive a one-year certificate.

1944: The school holds its first fashion show produced and directed by students.
■ LIM’s newspaper is renamed LIMLIGHT.

1947: Two-year program is added.

1950: The first fashion show of the Fifties is entitled “Flowers of the Hours.”

1959: LIM moves to 677 Fifth Avenue.

1962: Adrian G. Marcuse, Maxwell’s son, joins the college as vice president.

1965: The school purchases its flagship building, The Townhouse, at 12 East 53rd Street.

1971: London work-study program is established through cooperation with Selfridges Department Store.
■ Associate in occupational studies degree-granting powers are authorized.
■ College officially becomes coed.

1972: Adrian G. Marcuse becomes president.
■ First associate’s degree is awarded.
■ Florencio Ramos becomes first male LIM graduate.

1977: School is accredited by the Middle States Association of Colleges & Schools.
■ LIM Fashion Education Foundation is founded.

RELATED STORY: LIM College Celebrates 75 Years >>


1978: Maxwell F. Marcuse dies.

1982: LIM is authorized to grant the Bachelor of Professional Studies degree.

1996: Bachelor of Business Administration in fashion merchandising degree is authorized.

1998: Bachelor of Business Administration in marketing is approved.

2001: Elizabeth S. Marcuse, Adrian’s daughter and Maxwell’s granddaughter, joins LIM as vice president and chief operating officer.

2002: Elizabeth S. Marcuse becomes president.

2003: Bachelor of Business Administration in visual merchandising is approved.

2004: Maxwell Hall at 216 East 45th Street is added.

2006: The school expands to include 545 Fifth Avenue at 45th Street.
■ Enrollment reaches 1,000.

2007: Ribbon cutting held for the newly renovated Townhouse.

2008: Master of Business Administration degree-granting powers are authorized.
■ A student residence opens at 1760 Third Avenue.

2009: M.B.A. expands to fashion merchandising and entrepreneurship.
■ School is renamed LIM College and starts using the tag line “Where Business Meets Fashion.”

2011: The Townhouse at 12 East 53rd Street designated a New York City landmark.
■ The first “Fashion: Now & Then” symposium is sponsored by the Adrian G. Marcuse Library.

2012: Master of Professional Studies in fashion merchandising and retail management is approved.

2013: Master of Professional Studies in fashion marketing is approved.
■ A track in home fashions is added to the Bachelor of Business Administration degree.
■ Mu Rho Chapter of Delta Mu Delta comes to campus.

2014: LIM College celebrates its 75th anniversary.
■ The school launches a Bachelor of Science in International Business and a Master’s of Professional Studies in Visual Merchandising for the fall semester.

SOURCE: LIM COLLEGE

To access this article, click here to subscribe or to log in.

To Read the Full Article
SUBSCRIBE NOW

Tap into our Global Network

Of Industry Leaders and Designers

load comments
blog comments powered by Disqus