1939: Maxwell F. Marcuse establishes the Laboratory Institute of Merchandising at 45 West 34th Street.

1941: The first graduating class comprises 79 women who receive a one-year certificate.

1944: The school holds its first fashion show produced and directed by students.
■ LIM’s newspaper is renamed LIMLIGHT.

1947: Two-year program is added.

1950: The first fashion show of the Fifties is entitled “Flowers of the Hours.”

1959: LIM moves to 677 Fifth Avenue.

1962: Adrian G. Marcuse, Maxwell’s son, joins the college as vice president.

1965: The school purchases its flagship building, The Townhouse, at 12 East 53rd Street.

1971: London work-study program is established through cooperation with Selfridges Department Store.
■ Associate in occupational studies degree-granting powers are authorized.
■ College officially becomes coed.

1972: Adrian G. Marcuse becomes president.
■ First associate’s degree is awarded.
■ Florencio Ramos becomes first male LIM graduate.

1977: School is accredited by the Middle States Association of Colleges & Schools.
■ LIM Fashion Education Foundation is founded.

RELATED STORY: LIM College Celebrates 75 Years >>


1978: Maxwell F. Marcuse dies.

1982: LIM is authorized to grant the Bachelor of Professional Studies degree.

1996: Bachelor of Business Administration in fashion merchandising degree is authorized.

1998: Bachelor of Business Administration in marketing is approved.

2001: Elizabeth S. Marcuse, Adrian’s daughter and Maxwell’s granddaughter, joins LIM as vice president and chief operating officer.

2002: Elizabeth S. Marcuse becomes president.

2003: Bachelor of Business Administration in visual merchandising is approved.

2004: Maxwell Hall at 216 East 45th Street is added.

2006: The school expands to include 545 Fifth Avenue at 45th Street.
■ Enrollment reaches 1,000.

2007: Ribbon cutting held for the newly renovated Townhouse.

2008: Master of Business Administration degree-granting powers are authorized.
■ A student residence opens at 1760 Third Avenue.

2009: M.B.A. expands to fashion merchandising and entrepreneurship.
■ School is renamed LIM College and starts using the tag line “Where Business Meets Fashion.”

2011: The Townhouse at 12 East 53rd Street designated a New York City landmark.
■ The first “Fashion: Now & Then” symposium is sponsored by the Adrian G. Marcuse Library.

2012: Master of Professional Studies in fashion merchandising and retail management is approved.

2013: Master of Professional Studies in fashion marketing is approved.
■ A track in home fashions is added to the Bachelor of Business Administration degree.
■ Mu Rho Chapter of Delta Mu Delta comes to campus.

2014: LIM College celebrates its 75th anniversary.
■ The school launches a Bachelor of Science in International Business and a Master’s of Professional Studies in Visual Merchandising for the fall semester.

SOURCE: LIM COLLEGE

To unlock this article, subscribe to WWD below.

load comments
blog comments powered by Disqus