As the dollar stores jockey for their respective negotiating positions in the battle for Family Dollar Stores Inc., the behind-the-scenes decision making over which offer is superior is likely to rest in the hands of activist investor Trian Fund Management.
Nelson Peltz’s Trian holds about a 7.3 percent stake in Family Dollar. On Thursday, Family Dollar and Trian rejected Dollar General Corp.’s bid for the company, insisting it would stick with the initial offer made by Dollar Tree Inc.
Dollar General said it would continue to pursue Family Dollar.
Ed Garden, cofounder and partner at Trian, is one of four independent directors who is reviewing the bids.
Activist investors have been playing key investment roles on the retail and apparel front. On the mergers and acquisitions front, Eminence Capital last year began agitating for a merger between men’s retail chains The Men’s Wearhouse Inc. and Jos. A. Bank Clothiers Inc. Although Jos. A. Bank fired the first salvo with its $2.4 billion offer for its larger rival in October, it was Men’s Wearhouse that ultimately acquired Jos. A. Bank for $1.8 billion earlier this year.
In other moves, The Clinton Group successfully launched a proxy fight at ValueVision Media Inc., which operates the ShopHQ site, that resulted in a reconstituted board and a new chief executive officer. And Engaged Capital was able to influence Abercrombie & Fitch Co. to improve its corporate governance by bringing in Arthur Martinez earlier this year as non-executive chairman, with Michael Jeffries retaining his ceo role.
Trian’s Garden said Thursday, “Consistent with its fiduciary duties, the company’s board has sought to maximize shareholder value while considering the certainty of closing a transaction.…Given the significant antitrust issues involved with Dollar General’s proposal, we will not jeopardize the Dollar Tree deal for a transaction with Dollar General that has a high likelihood of not closing due to antitrust considerations. We remain fully committed to the Dollar Tree transaction.”
Garden said that while the ceo of Dollar General, Rick Dreiling, said he didn’t believe there was an antitrust problem, he also didn’t put forth a proposal that would eliminate that risk.
Dollar General entered the bidding for Family Dollar on Monday with an all-cash proposal of $78.50 a share and a transaction value of $9.7 billion. As part of the proposal, Dollar General said it will divest up to 700 stores to garner the requisite antitrust approval, a number it said was a comparable percentage to the 500 stores Dollar Tree had agreed to divest to complete its transaction with Family Dollar.
Numerically, the offer is better than the one Family Dollar received from Dollar Tree last month at $74.50 a share in a cash-and-stock transaction — $59.60 in cash and $14.90 in Dollar Tree stock for each share of Family Dollar stock owned — valued at $9.2 billion. The boards of Dollar Tree and Family Dollar have already approved the merger, although it is still subject to certain customary closing conditions, such as the approval of Family Dollar stockholders.
Money doesn’t seem to be the issue in this battle.
Garden is stating that Dollar General isn’t putting forth a proposal that would eliminate the antitrust risk, clearly placing the onus on Dollar General to improve on the terms of its offer — namely, a reevaluation of the store count and promise to divest even more stores.
Whether that updated bid comes through remains to be seen, but already the battle turned ugly Wednesday night when Dollar General disclosed that Dreiling sent a letter to Family Dollar’s board stating that its chairman and ceo Howard R. Levine, in preliminary discussions, had expressed an interest in becoming the ceo of a combined Dollar General-Family Dollar entity.
More pointedly, the letter said: “We cannot help but question whether Dollar General’s failure to embrace such requests by Mr. Levine weighed into Family Dollar’s decision to pursue an agreement with Dollar Tree.”
Levine said Thursday morning that the letter “contained blatant mischaracterizations.”
Supermodel @helenachristensen teamed up with longtime friend and designer @camillastaerk on a joint @paredeyewear collaboration. The lineup features three styles and 11 offerings, all of which embody a vintage feel. Get all the details on how they celebrated the collab on WWD.com. #wwdaccessories #wwdeye (📷: @slovekinpics)
“It’s a hard industry to keep motivated, as well, so finding different subjects and people is what makes it worth it – when you’re like, oh, I’ve met great people, I feel like I’ve done something good, and I feel proud of having done this,” said French actress Stacy Martin on being grateful for the variety of roles she’s take on. Read @ktauer’s full interview with Martin on her her latest film “Godard Mon Amour.” #wwdeye (📷: @danieldorsa)
After showing in front of the Eiffel Tower for his last two women’s ready-to-wear collection, it looks like @anthonyvaccarello may be heading to the Big Apple. Sources say the designer will stage his next @ysl show in NYC on June 6. Get all the details on WWD.com. #wwdnews #wwdfashion (📷: @aitorrosasphoto)
EXCLUSIVE: Two and half months after John Targon, cofounder and codesigner of Baja East, was hired as creative director of the contemporary division at Marc Jacobs, he has left the company, WWD has learned. Marc Jacobs International, which is owned by LVMH Moët Hennessy Louis Vuitton, confirmed Targon’s departure in a statement: “John Targon is a talented designer and we appreciate the work he has done here. Ultimately working together did not make sense for the brand and we wish him the best.” Read the story by @jessiredale, link in bio. #wwdnews
@theluxurycollection is officially launching a collection, tapping Sofia Sanchez de Betak for the capsule. Over 30 styles will be featured in the Chufy x The Luxury Collection, debuting next month at Bergdorf Goodman, The Webster, FiveStory and more. De Betak, known as “@chufy,” drew inspiration for the collection from her trips to Japan in the past year #wwdfashion
@lhd, founder and CEO of @thewebster, has teamed up with @lebonmarcherivegauche for the European launch of her ready-to-wear line, LHD. The launch will come with an exclusive pop-up opening today that’s set to run through May 20. Located on the second floor, it carries her debut Miami-themed resort collection, launched in November as see-now-buy-now. #wwdfashion