MILAN — Four months after it revealed plans to go private, Benetton Group said Tuesday it will delist from the Italian Stock Exchange as of May 31.
In its last public set of financial results, which refer to the first quarter of the year, the Italian apparel manufacturer and retailer noted that increased costs of raw materials, such as cotton and wool, and slow economies in the group’s main markets, such as southern Europe, hurt its bottom line. In the three-month period ended March 31, the group’s net profit dropped 48 percent to 10 million euros, or $13.1 million, from 19 million euros, or $26.6 million, in the first quarter last year.
Biagio Chiarolanza, the group’s chief executive officer for operations, foreign business units and finance, said this “unsatisfactory result” was in line with expectations. “We know that the repositioning will not be easy, and the first quarter results confirm that. Nonetheless, the process is under way and will continue with determination, even though, with the economic crisis affecting the principal markets for our products, a rapid recovery cannot be expected,” remarked Chiarolanza.
Operating profit fell 64.3 percent to 12 million euros, or $15.7 million, “impacted by a large reduction in structural costs, which was offset by a cost increase of direct sales, following the takeover of stores previously operated by third parties, and reduction in some extraordinary income,” said the company. Nonrecurring costs associated with the delisting also hit the performance.
Benetton’s parent company, Edizione Srl, said last month that it considered the result of the tender offer to buy the 25.15 percent of Benetton shares it did not already own, launched on March 5 and ended on March 30, “satisfying.” Shares were priced at 4.60 euros, or $5.92 at current exchange. Edizione now holds more than 95 percent of the group’s shares, and trading will be suspended on May 28, 29 and 30, after 26 years on the Milan Stock Exchange.
In the first quarter, the group invested 34 million euros, or $44.5 million, mainly in revamping stores, compared with 27 million euros, or $37.8 million, in the same period last year.
As of March 31, net debt stood at 687 million euros, or $900 million, compared with 534 million euros, or $747.6 million, at the end of March last year.
Looking ahead, Benetton said 2012 “started with positive results in respect of direct sales in nearly all countries,” where the group’s brands are available.
Orders for spring ended in line with expectations, with a 3.3 percent decline compared with spring 2011. Benetton expects a similar trend for the fall season.
The group said it will continue to strive to optimize costs efficiently, but, “due mainly to pressure on revenues,” it does not expect improvements in operating profit, and foresees a slight drop in net profit resulting from an increased cost of debt.
Harrods plans to remove the famous statue of Princess Diana and Dodi Al Fayed from the bottom of the Egyptian escalators and hand it back to Mohamed Al-Fayed. “We are very proud to have played our role in celebrating the lives of Diana, Princess of Wales and Dodi Al Fayed at Harrods and to have welcomed people from around the world to visit the memorial for the past 20 years,” said Michael Ward, Harrods managing director. “With the announcement of the new official memorial statue to Diana, Princess of Wales at Kensington Palace, we feel that the time is right to return this memorial to Mr. Al Fayed and for the public to be invited to pay their respects at the palace.” More on the news, with reporting by @loreleimarfil, at WWD.com. #wwdnews
@prada is introducing a new project at its men’s fall 2018 show this Sunday: “Prada Invites.” The fashion house invited four celebrated creative minds – @ronanaerwanbouroullec, Konstantin Grcic, @herzogdemeuron and @rem.koolhaas – to each create a unique item with its iconic nylon material. The designs will be unveiled on the runway show, which will take place at the company’s warehouse in Viale Ortles 25. #wwdfashion #mfwm (📷: @martinocarrera)
@kering_official is spinning off its stake in puma in an effort to focus on its luxury brands, the brand operator announced yesterday. “We are proud to have supported the turnaround of Puma, which now has unrivaled capabilities to take full advantage of the specific dynamics of its global markets and is poised to achieve substantial growth,” said François-Henri Pinault, Kering’s chief executive officer and chairman. Artémis will become a “long-term strategic shareholder” of Puma with a 29 percent stake. #wwdnews #wwdfashion (📷: @jilliansollazzo)
The fashion world mourns for celebrated street style photographer, Nabile Quenum, who died at age 32 in Paris.
Quenum, creator of the fashion blog “J’ai Perdu Ma Veste,” was a fashion week fixture, and regularly shot for New York magazine’s The Cut, among other outlets, and brands such as Louis Vuitton, Moncler and Adidas. He was also actively involved in the #NoFreePhotos initiative, which kicked off in the fall. Read more about Quenum in @kbsmoke's story on WWD.com. #wwdnews
@verwanggang and @maisonladuree have teamed up on a dessert collab called Vera Wang Pour Ladurée. The collection, which launched this week, features a specialty macaroon, as well as a wedding cake inspired by one of the designer’s gowns. “I could not imagine a more delicate or sophisticated creation to grace any couple’s celebration,” said Wang. #wwdfashion