NEW YORK — Taubman Centers Inc.’s board just said no.
That was the official, and expected, response Wednesday to the $1.5 billion, or $18 a share, hostile takeover offer from Simon Properties.
Robert Taubman, chairman, president and chief executive officer, told WWD in a telephone interview, "This was a unanimous board decision. They have said now for the second time, unanimously, that the company is not for sale. This is not the time for a sale."
According to the ceo, the company has great growth prospects, is making money and continues to generate increases in year-over-year returns. He noted that the company’s assets, both scarce and rare, are getting more valuable every day.
Taubman stated, "Our board understands the imbedded growth in our assets and the growth going forward."
He said of the offer: "Simon wants to shake the trees and see what happens. The hostile offer shows a lack of ability of the company to meet growth opportunities on its own."
The Taubman Centers board recommended that all Taubman shareholders reject Simon’s offer and not tender their shares.
As reported, Simon made its first offer to buy Taubman last month at $17.50 a share.
Simon said Wednesday in a statement following Taubman’s official response that Taubman’s "public shareholders, who own 99 percent of the company, should be the ones who decide whether Simon’s all-cash $18 offer — a price higher than the shares have ever traded — is ‘inadequate.’ We are proceeding with our tender offer and litigation to challenge Taubman’s continuing efforts to disenfranchise its public shareholders."
According to a real estate investment trust (REIT) analyst, Taubman had traded in the $16 range in April, but prior to the offer was trading at about $13. The stock is now trading at slightly over $16 a share.
Simon also filed a lawsuit in a federal court in Michigan, invoking the state’s Control Share Acquisition Act, which was enacted to protect firms in the state that may be ripe for a takeover.
The Taubman family holds roughly 30 percent of the voting rights in Taubman Centers. It could block any takeover bid with the help of shares held by friends and associates. The lawsuit, if it invalidated the family’s control, would give Simon a chance to obtain a winning two-thirds majority for its bid.Taubman Centers said on Wednesday that it opted out of the Michigan Control Share Acquisition Act. Simon said that the opt out was done to "avoid a shareholder referendum" on its offer.
Simon reconfirmed that it was proceeding with its offer, which is set to expire on Jan. 17, unless extended.
Taubman’s latest mall extravaganza is the Millenia, in Orlando, which opened two months ago. Taubman said that its Stony Point mall in Richmond, Va., is set to open in September 2003. The firm’s mall portfolio is considered high end, featuring tony upscale names such as Neiman Marcus, Cartier, Tiffany and properties of LVMH Moët Hennessy Louis Vuitton.
James Sullivan, an analyst who covers Simon at Prudential Securities, issued a research note in which he concluded: "We believe that Taubman should continue to rebuff Simon’s attempt to acquire the company. The company has only received an offer from one prospective buyer to buy the company and has rejected it as inadequate. So we guess that Simon is likely to have an uphill battle in attempting to complete the hostile bid."
“What he has done at Vuitton is really exceptional,” said @gameofthrones’ actress Gwendoline Christie on @mrkimjones’ final show for @louisvuitton. “He has rebooted luxury in terms of making it commercial, viable and contemporary. And most importantly artistic. He has never compromised his artistic vision for the sake of commodity.” (📷: @zefashioninsider)
After seeing a demand for men’s wear from its customers, British contemporary women’s wear label @ariesarise has added a men’s wear component and will launch a unisex collection with @mrporterlive. The 20-piece collection includes jackets, denim, logo T-shirts and more with deconstructed ‘90s vibes. Set to launch on January 18, you can shop the pieces on Aries’ website and on mrporter.com. #wwdfashion
“And so spending so much time with a character who thinks like that, inevitability you try and analyze yourself and go back and think about your own demons and dark chapters that you had in your life,” says @thedanielbruhl of his role in TNT’s “The Alienist.” The show, set in the Gilded Age of New York, also stars Dakota Fanning and Luke Evans. Head to WWD.com to read about how 39-year-old Brühl prepared for the role and why he thinks the show is so relevant to today #wwdeye ( 📷: @Eriktanner)
Now that Celine Dion’s collection has topped $10 million in sales, the pop superstar, fashion icon and newly-minted industry player is eyeing growth in Asia. Read the full report by @tiffanyap, link in bio. #wwdnews #celinedion
“My personal philosophy to beauty is paying attention to oneself. I love to be outdoors, lots of fresh air, trying to take care of yourself as best you can. I always notice that comes through,” says Felicity Jones, the global face of @shiseido-owned @cledepeaubeauteus, which launches today. Head to WWD.com to read more about the actress’ love for beauty and how she prepared for her new role in “The Basis of Sex,” playing the young Ruth Bader Ginsburg. #wwdbeauty (📷: @dandoperalski)
Among the familiar faces at @off____white’s show was a surprise figure: Japanese artist @takashipom, pictured here on Wednesday morning. Other show-goers included @jerrylorenzo, who spoke about his upcoming project: a @nike collaboration for back to school, with designs inspired by his childhood on the West Coast. Sitting in the front row were Future, Don Crawley, @miguel and more. See the rest of the photos on WWD.com #wwdeye (📷: Stephane Feugere)
According to @laurentsai, former “Terrace House: Aloha State” cast member, she didn’t know she was auditioning for the Japanese version of “Real World.” “I was telling a couple of my friends and someone’s like, ‘That sounds a lot like Terrace House.’ I was like, ’No it can’t be.’” Turns out, it was. But Tsai isn’t just a reality star — she’s an illustrator who has worked with Starbucks Japan and most recently, she’s dipping her toes into the fashion world. Head to WWD.com to read about her time on the show, modeling and her art. #wwdeye (📷: @danieldorsa)
More changes are coming to New York Fashion Week: Beginning with the spring 2019 collection, @alexanderwangny will move his New York show to June from September, adopting a biannual schedule with collections shown in June and December. Additionally, the @cfda is planning for an official summer/winter fashion season taking place as soon as June and December 2018. Read more about the upcoming changes on WWD.com. #wwdnews #wwdfashion (📷: @slovekinpics)