Casual Male Retail Group Inc. is jumping further into the red-hot tailored clothing business.
During its fourth-quarter earnings call Thursday morning, David Levin, chief executive officer, said the company is moving to increase tailored clothing’s share of its business to 30 percent from 20 percent to capitalize on the popularity of the category.
“A key initiative for 2012 is the increase in penetration in our clothing categories,” he told analysts on a Thursday morning conference call after the company released better-than-expected fourth-quarter earnings. “Historically, it’s been about 20 percent of our sales. As we’ve been a casual sportswear-driven company, clothing never really got the real estate, assortments or customer service that it needed. With the DXL [Destination XL] concept, however, we have the space to make these categories something special and we believe we can grow their penetration over time to 30 percent, and this will be accomplished through enhanced selections, associate training in these stores and custom tailored or what we call made-to-measure clothing.”
On the DXL front, this concept, which brings together the best assortments from the company’s Casual Male XL, Rochester Clothing and B&T Factory Direct under one roof, continues to outperform. The company currently operates 16 of these superstores. This year, Levin said, the company will open about 35 stores while closing 70 Casual Male stores. “[This] will give us a national footprint with 51 DXL stores and at least one store located in most major metropolitan cities across the United States.” He stressed, however, that the store closures “are based on the natural expirations of the lease terms.”
By the end of the current year, he added, the DXL stores are expected to generate about 30 percent of overall company sales, a figure that will jump to 50 percent by the end of 2013. By the end of 2015, Casual Male Retail Group expects to have 150 to 175 DXL locations with the eventual goal to expand to 250 stores.
That will include the company’s first store in Kuwait, a unit that will be operated through a franchise agreement with Standard Arabian Business and Enterprise Co.
Within three years, this will leave the company with “only Casual Male Outlets and a few outline Casual Male stores besides a half dozen Rochester stores,” said chief financial officer Dennis Hernreich.
Levin also revealed that the company’s test to operate in-store B&T shops with 15 Bon-Ton stores last year is being halted. Casual Male will continue to sell B&T product on the Bon-Ton Web site.
During the three months ended Jan. 28, the retailer saw net income increase more than sixfold to $33.5 million, or 70 cents a diluted share, from $5.3 million, or 11 cents, in the prior-year quarter. Stripping out a charge for trademark impairment as well as a benefit from the reversal of a valuation allowance, adjusted earnings per share came to 10 cents in the quarter, 2 cents above Wall Street’s expectations.
Revenues were flat at $111.5 million, on par with analysts’ estimates, while comparable-store sales moved up 0.8 percent as comp increases decelerated in the second half of the year. Pressured by markdowns in a highly promotional environment, gross margin pulled back 70 basis points to 44.7 percent of sales.
For the full year, net income, including nonrecurring items, nearly tripled to $42.7 million, or 89 cents a diluted share, from $15.4 million, or 32 cents. Sales rose 1 percent to $397.7 million from $393.6 million as comps advanced 2.1 percent.
@kering_official is spinning off its stake in puma in an effort to focus on its luxury brands, the brand operator announced yesterday. “We are proud to have supported the turnaround of Puma, which now has unrivaled capabilities to take full advantage of the specific dynamics of its global markets and is poised to achieve substantial growth,” said François-Henri Pinault, Kering’s chief executive officer and chairman. Artémis will become a “long-term strategic shareholder” of Puma with a 29 percent stake. #wwdnews #wwdfashion (📷: @jilliansollazzo)
The fashion world mourns for celebrated street style photographer, Nabile Quenum, who died at age 32 in Paris.
Quenum, creator of the fashion blog “J’ai Perdu Ma Veste,” was a fashion week fixture, and regularly shot for New York magazine’s The Cut, among other outlets, and brands such as Louis Vuitton, Moncler and Adidas. He was also actively involved in the #NoFreePhotos initiative, which kicked off in the fall. Read more about Quenum in @kbsmoke's story on WWD.com. #wwdnews
@verwanggang and @maisonladuree have teamed up on a dessert collab called Vera Wang Pour Ladurée. The collection, which launched this week, features a specialty macaroon, as well as a wedding cake inspired by one of the designer’s gowns. “I could not imagine a more delicate or sophisticated creation to grace any couple’s celebration,” said Wang. #wwdfashion
“I’m Russian and I love to use all these little tricks that I got from my grandma or my mom. We didn’t have a lot of money for creams or anything like that so we would use a garden as a beauty treatment regime. We’d put cucumber in the fridge and do a cucumber mask,” says model @irinashayk on one of her beauty hacks. WWD asked celebs what their go-to self-care rituals are. See what Naomie Harris, Freida Pinto and more said on WWD.com. #wwdeye #wwdbeauty (📷: @zefashioninsider)
Exclusive: @viktorandrolf are teaming up with @Zalando on a collection made from leftover clothing. The lineup, which lands at the retailer February 1, includes 17 pieces adorned with sliced up and repurposed overstock from the retailer’s private label collection. Pictured here is a look from the collection –– see more on WWD.com. #wwdfashion #wwdnews
@duewestnyc is the newest bar joining the collection of intimate neighborhood-focused spaces in the West Village. The cocktail menu, which includes bitters and syrups made in-house, offers a “Build Your Own Old-Fashioned” – like the one pictured here – where guests can choose from a list of spirits and unexpected sugars and bitters. #wwdeye
Spotted at last night’s National Board of Review gala in NYC: Angelina Jolie. Jolie – along with Meryl Streep, @lupitanyongo and more – continued the all-black dress code from Sunday’s Golden Globes. #wwdeye (📷: @lexieblacklock)