Mall-based women’s apparel retailer Charlotte Russe Holding Inc. said Wednesday that it is considering a sale of the company among other strategic alternatives to increase long-term growth and profitability. The firm reported a first-quarter loss on marginally higher sales.
Charlotte Russe said it has received interest from third parties but “no timetable has been set for completion of the review” and there is “no assurance that any transaction will result.” The San Diego-based junior retailer hired Cowen and Co. LLC for financial counsel and Covington & Burling LLP and Cooley Godward Kronish LLP for legal counsel.
“While we remain confident in our ability to successfully implement the plan and improve performance, the board is evaluating all alternatives to achieve maximum value for Charlotte Russe shareholders,” said chairman Jennifer Salopek.
The announcement came after shareholder B. Riley & Co. said last month that it would pursue hostile takeover measures should the company’s board not respond to letters demanding a reevaluation of a takeover bid by KarpReilly Capital Partners LP and H.I.G. Capital Partners LLC.
The bid, which the retailer rejected in November, valued the company between $9 and $9.50 a share, or $188 million to $199 million. This represented a 31 to 38 percent premium over its closing stock price the day before the offer.
B. Riley’s Dec. 23 letter came after a similar letter, sent on Dec. 15 from Maryland-based hedge fund Plainview Capital LLC, criticizing the company for rejecting the deal.
Before to the announcement that Charlotte Russe would explore a sale or other transaction, Bryant Riley, founder and chairman of B. Riley, told WWD, “We’ve gotten no response; you cannot blow off and ignore legitimate [buyout] offers at a premium….We’re not going to sit idly by and watch a disservice to shareholders.”
In the first quarter ended Dec. 27, Charlotte Russe reported a net loss of $2.9 million, or 14 cents a diluted share, versus net income of $14 million, or 56 cents a share, in the year-ago period. Net sales for the period rose 1 percent to $240.7 million from $238.2 million. Excluding pretax charges related to its recent management transition of $2.2 million, the loss in the most recent quarter was 7 cents a share.
Comparable-store sales for the quarter fell 9.1 percent. The company said it opened eight new stores during the period, and reported it had $55 million in cash and no long-term debt at the end of the quarter. The company also said it recorded charges of $2.2 million related to recent management transition.
“We’re operating conservatively in this uncertain environment by protecting our strong cash position, reducing inventory levels, carefully managing expenses and lowering capital expenditures,” said chief executive officer John Goodman.
Based on the earlier disclosure of the company’s strategic review, Charlotte Russe said during the earnings conference call that it has canceled its analysts and investors day next Wednesday in New York.
The company said it anticipated sales trends to remain “soft” during the second quarter, “reflecting the macro environment, the Easter shift and the seasonality of the company’s business model.” Comparable-store sales are expected drop in the mid- to high-single digits during the period while a net loss of 10 and 20 cents a diluted share, exclusive of transition costs, is forecast.
The retailer also said it has reduced its new store opening and capital expenditure plans to 20 locations and $30 million, respectively for the year.
Analysts expect a loss of 8 cents a share on sales of $188.6 million for the second quarter.
Breaking News: @louisvuitton's men's artistic director @mrkimjones is leaving the French fashion house after nearly 7 years. Jones joined Louis Vuitton in 2011, following a three year tenure as creative director of British luxury goods brand Alfred Dunhill. Jones is to exit Louis Vuitton after showing his fall 2018 collection for the brand in Paris on Thursday. Read the full exclusive story on WWD.com. Link in bio. #wwdnews #wwdfashion
For men’s fall 2018, @giuseppezanotti drew on elements from streetwear, sport, biker, combat and rock ‘n’ roll. Pictured here are a pair of shoes from the collection, featuring zippers, rhinestones, and silver hardware. Head to WWD.com to see a roundup of the accessories from Milan’s men’s fall 2018 shows. #wwdfashion (📷: Andrea Delb)
To celebrate the 25th anniversary of @ralphlauren’s snowboarding collection, the brand is mining its archives. The iconic brand is reintroducing vintage styles and dropping new designs for a color capsule that will be available in Ralph Lauren stores and @openingceremony on January 25. The capsule will consist of 10 pieces, including the Snow Beach Pullover, pictured here, which is a collector’s item that rapper Raekwon wore in Wu-Tang Clan’s “Can It Be All So Simple” video. #wwdfashion (📷: Tom Gould)
For @rochasofficial’s pre-fall 2018 collection, creative director Alessandro Dell’Acqua channeled the sophisticated and intriguing Catherine Denevue in the film “Belle de Jour.” Polished collarless coats, midi skirts, suits and ’60s graphic motifs were all featured in the collection, adding a sense of discreet luxury. See the rest of the photos on WWD.com #wwdfashion
“We tried to produce clothing of that couture quality, but the most daunting part was that we only had a matter of days [to do it],” said costume designer Lou Eyrich, who recreated Gianni Versace’s iconic looks for @americancrimestoryfx. Eyrich searched online retailers and vintage shops for original pieces from the design house and for @penelopecruzoficial, who plays Donatella Versace. Head to WWD.com to read how she created the Versace world. #wwdfashion
Only three months after her stellar debut catwalk season, @kaiagerber has inked her first big design collaboration –– with @karllagerfeld. The collection blends Lagerfeld’s Parisian chic aesthetic and the model’s signature West Coast casual style via RTW, accessories, footwear and more. The #KarlLagerfeldxKaia collection will launch in September with a series of events. Get all the details on WWD.com. #wwdnews #wwdfashion
Harrods plans to remove the famous statue of Princess Diana and Dodi Al Fayed from the bottom of the Egyptian escalators and hand it back to Mohamed Al-Fayed. “We are very proud to have played our role in celebrating the lives of Diana, Princess of Wales and Dodi Al Fayed at Harrods and to have welcomed people from around the world to visit the memorial for the past 20 years,” said Michael Ward, Harrods managing director. “With the announcement of the new official memorial statue to Diana, Princess of Wales at Kensington Palace, we feel that the time is right to return this memorial to Mr. Al Fayed and for the public to be invited to pay their respects at the palace.” More on the news, with reporting by @loreleimarfil, at WWD.com. #wwdnews