Frederick’s of Hollywood Group Inc., marketers of apparel for women’s most intimate moments, is poised to go private again.
The lingerie retailer, which entered the public markets upon its January 2008 merger with innerwear wholesaler Movie Star Inc., said it had agreed to be acquired by a consortium that currently holds 88.6 percent of its outstanding stock for 27 cents a share in cash. The price values the company at $27.3 million and would translate into a $3.1 million payment to holders of the other 11.4 percent of its equity.
The amount is 17.4 percent higher than the 23 cents a share offered in September by the consortium. It represents a premium of 50 percent to the closing price of the firm’s stock on Sept. 27, the last day of trading before the consortium made its buyout proposal, and a 46 percent premium to its average price in the 45 trading days prior to the offer.
The consortium consists of Harbinger Group Inc., its HGI Funding LLC affiliate, TTG Apparel LLC and Tokarz Investments LLC, all controlled by Michael Tokarz, and Fursa Alternative Strategies LLC and Arsenal Group LLC, both controlled by William Harley 3rd, a director of Frederick’s.
Upon consummation of the merger, which is subject to shareholder approval and other conditions, Thomas Lynch, chief executive officer of the company, would receive a new three-year employment contract calling for a base salary of $540,000 a year, a signing bonus of $150,000 and an unspecified equity interest in the firm.
The deliberations were handled by Milton Walters, the company’s lead independent director. Lynch and Harley recused themselves from discussions.
Frederick’s operates 112 specialty stores, a catalogue and an online store. In the three months ended Oct. 26, the firm registered a net loss of $7.7 million on a 12.1 percent decline in revenues to $19.7 million. When results were reported earlier this month, Lynch said the company was working with “lenders, manufacturers and partners” to overcome challenges posed by “the financial limitations of the business of the past several years.”
Leading luxury brand are shaking things up to keep up with streetwear. Case in point: the arrival of @mrkimjones as artistic director of @diorhomme. Jones, who succeeds @Kris_Van_Assche, is seen as one of the handful of designers who can actually straddle the luxury and streetwear worlds — which could lead to even more changes at established brands. What could this mean for the rest of the menswear landscape? Head to WWD.com to find out what experts predict #wwdfashion (📷: @franckmura)
“It’s like buying groceries. You’re going to buy the best mango, the best mozzarella, the best things. You have to, or others are going to take it all,” said @gabrielahearst on why she uses only the finest fabrics. Last week, Hearst received her first @cfda nomination for Womenswear Designer of the Year, and earlier this month she opened a permanent showroom in Paris. To read @jessiredale’s interview with the designer and find out why this is shaping up to be a big year for her, head to WWD.com. #wwdfashion (📷: @francoisgoize)
“It’s an interesting thing, playing a younger version of your mother. It’s an interesting concept. I adore my mom and love her in every capacity, but it was just something that had never crossed my mind,” says @anniemstarke on playing a young Joan Castleman in “The Wife.” The same role will be played by her mother Glenn Close. Read more about her growing up in the film industry as the daughter of producer John H. Starke and Close and what she has planned for the future #wwdeye (📷: @nataliamantini)
@asics is launching a new streetwear sneaker inspired by its latest ambassador, @steveaoki. The Hyper-Kenzen x Aoki, which will launch at @footlocker stores exclusively tomorrow, is a slip-on style that incorporates the brand’s proprietary Gel technology through beads integrated into the midsole for comfort and endurance. Read the full story on WWD.com.
@beyonce chose a custom gown by @falgunishanepeacockindia for mother @mstinalawson 's second annual Wearable Art Gala last night. The gown, which took 10 days to make, was inspired by Nubian warrior queen Amanishakheto. Reporting by @hernameislex . #wwdeye 👑 🐝#beyonce
After dressing @justintimberlake for his Super Bowl halftime performance last month, @stellamccartney has designed the star’s "Man of the Woods" tour wardrobe. Timberlake will be wearing a mix of pieces from McCartney’s fall men's collection as well as custom designs and items from his own closet. #wwdfashion