By  on April 14, 2006

BOSTON -- Wal-Mart president and chief executive officer H. Lee Scott will take off the month of May, his longest vacation since assuming the top job at the world’s largest retailer six years ago.


Wal-Mart spokeswoman Mona Williams quashed speculation that the 57-year-old chief executive is using the time to test-drive a succession plan. “This is simply a vacation with no additional implications,” she said. “Lee Scott will always be a cell phone call away.”

 

Wal-Mart’s two vice chairmen, John Menzer, who runs domestic operations and Michael Duke, who heads Wal-Mart International will each spend two weeks in Scott’s role, Williams said. The pair swapped jobs last year and both were promoted to vice chairman, signaling they may be candidates to be Scott’s successor.

Scott has spent much of the past two years on a public speaking tour aimed at improving $312 billion retailer’s reputation, which has been tarnished by employment and gender discrimination lawsuits, internal scandals and criticism from unions.

For complete coverage, see Monday's WWD.

To Read the Full Article
SUBSCRIBE NOW

Tap into our Global Network

Of Industry Leaders and Designers

load comments
blog comments powered by Disqus