LONDON — Higher margins were more than offset by exceptional costs as Marks & Spencer saw net profits fall 2.3 percent in the fiscal year ended March 31.
Net income totaled $790 million versus $808.2 million in the prior year, even though pre-tax profits before exceptional items rose 11.5 percent to $1.18 billion thanks to higher sales, market share and margins. Dollar figures are converted from the pound at current exchange. Sales rose 6 percent to $13.3 billion from $12.5 billion. Driven by a strong performance in the first three quarters, apparel sales rose 10 percent to $6.7 billion and apparel share increased by 0.7 percent, the firm said in a statement.
“We have regained market share, increased our profitability, and rebuilt the foundations on which this group can grow and prosper,” said Luc Vandevelde, chairman of the U.K. retail chain in a statement issued Tuesday.
Roger Holmes, chief executive, said in the coming year, there are plans to open 50 food stores, and open a new concept home store. As reported, Vittorio Radice, the former chief executive of Selfridges, joined Marks & Spencer earlier this year as executive director of the M&S home business.
Home furnishings sales increased 8 percent to $661.2 million and food sales were up 5 percent to $5.4 billion.
Holmes conceded that the store was operating in a more challenging environment, but added there were significant opportunities for improved efficiency in sourcing and costs.
In the year just concluded, operating profit rose 14.1 percent to $1.2 billion thanks, in part, to higher margins from the clothing division because of improvements in sourcing and supply chain efficiencies. In addition, markdowns as a percentage of sales were lower than the previous year.
A company spokeswoman said exceptional items on this year’s books include the closure of a distribution center, and a logistics review that saw the number of logistics contractors reduced from four to two.
In other news, the firm said Betty Jackson would no longer be designing the Autograph range of clothing after the fall season. Autograph was launched in fall 1999 with Jackson and other London-based designers. Currently, it is designed by Jackson, Anthony Symonds, Sonja Nuttall and Philip Treacy. A company spokeswoman said Jackson would not be replaced immediately.As for the current year’s outlook, the company said it expects clothing margins to improve by 1 percent. M&S said it also plans to incur exceptional costs linked to a change of headquarters, and increased capital expenditures because of warehouse purchases, and investment in the food and home furnishings businesses.
Supermodel @helenachristensen teamed up with longtime friend and designer @camillastaerk on a joint @paredeyewear collaboration. The lineup features three styles and 11 offerings, all of which embody a vintage feel. Get all the details on how they celebrated the collab on WWD.com. #wwdaccessories #wwdeye (📷: @slovekinpics)
“It’s a hard industry to keep motivated, as well, so finding different subjects and people is what makes it worth it – when you’re like, oh, I’ve met great people, I feel like I’ve done something good, and I feel proud of having done this,” said French actress Stacy Martin on being grateful for the variety of roles she’s take on. Read @ktauer’s full interview with Martin on her her latest film “Godard Mon Amour.” #wwdeye (📷: @danieldorsa)
After showing in front of the Eiffel Tower for his last two women’s ready-to-wear collection, it looks like @anthonyvaccarello may be heading to the Big Apple. Sources say the designer will stage his next @ysl show in NYC on June 6. Get all the details on WWD.com. #wwdnews #wwdfashion (📷: @aitorrosasphoto)
EXCLUSIVE: Two and half months after John Targon, cofounder and codesigner of Baja East, was hired as creative director of the contemporary division at Marc Jacobs, he has left the company, WWD has learned. Marc Jacobs International, which is owned by LVMH Moët Hennessy Louis Vuitton, confirmed Targon’s departure in a statement: “John Targon is a talented designer and we appreciate the work he has done here. Ultimately working together did not make sense for the brand and we wish him the best.” Read the story by @jessiredale, link in bio. #wwdnews
@theluxurycollection is officially launching a collection, tapping Sofia Sanchez de Betak for the capsule. Over 30 styles will be featured in the Chufy x The Luxury Collection, debuting next month at Bergdorf Goodman, The Webster, FiveStory and more. De Betak, known as “@chufy,” drew inspiration for the collection from her trips to Japan in the past year #wwdfashion
@lhd, founder and CEO of @thewebster, has teamed up with @lebonmarcherivegauche for the European launch of her ready-to-wear line, LHD. The launch will come with an exclusive pop-up opening today that’s set to run through May 20. Located on the second floor, it carries her debut Miami-themed resort collection, launched in November as see-now-buy-now. #wwdfashion