NEW YORK — Rag & Bone is expected to announce today that Nathan Bogle is leaving the label he cofounded with Marcus Wainwright in 2001.
"I have made a decision to part ways," said Bogle on Thursday. "It was a tough call but I had to make it. It's come about through some differences in design and ambitions for the company."
Although founded in 2001, Rag & Bone officially launched with a men's wear collection for spring 2004, which was followed by women's wear for fall 2005. For the launch collection, the designers initially focused on denim, but quickly expanded with sportswear. Rag & Bone is sold in stores such as Barneys New York, Louis Boston, Nom de Guerre and Harrods. This fall, the line will be sold in 200 doors.
Bogle indicated there were creative differences, and he wanted to work on a more upscale line, while the other partners wanted to keep Rag & Bone a more contemporary sportswear collection. The fall 2006 collection is the last one Bogle contributed to. Wainwright and David Neville, who became a partner in the firm in 2004, will continue operating Rag & Bone.
"We are very focused on what the brand stands for," Wainwright said, "We will continue to run the business, which is going so well for us. We have no plans to change the direction we are going in."
"It was not that dramatic, just a parting of ways," Wainwright added of Bogle's departure. "We had slightly different views on where we would be going and the kinds of clothes we should be making. We got to a point where we both felt the best thing for him was to move on, so that he could focus on what he wanted to do."
Separations could become a trend this season. Just last week, Josia Lamberto-Egan said he was leaving the Trovata foursome, which won the Perry Ellis award for emerging talent at the 2006 CFDA Fashion Awards, for which Rag & Bone was also nominated.
Bogle, a former model, is already working on his next move — a collection to launch for fall 2007. "Right now, I am still in transition mode, but it will be with a couple of new designers, or maybe a slightly larger team than what we had at Rag & Bone," he said. While he hasn't decided on a name for it, he said it would be "a new luxury concept. It will probably be pitching at a higher end than Rag & Bone."
Harrods plans to remove the famous statue of Princess Diana and Dodi Al Fayed from the bottom of the Egyptian escalators and hand it back to Mohamed Al-Fayed. “We are very proud to have played our role in celebrating the lives of Diana, Princess of Wales and Dodi Al Fayed at Harrods and to have welcomed people from around the world to visit the memorial for the past 20 years,” said Michael Ward, Harrods managing director. “With the announcement of the new official memorial statue to Diana, Princess of Wales at Kensington Palace, we feel that the time is right to return this memorial to Mr. Al Fayed and for the public to be invited to pay their respects at the palace.” More on the news, with reporting by @loreleimarfil, at WWD.com. #wwdnews
@prada is introducing a new project at its men’s fall 2018 show this Sunday: “Prada Invites.” The fashion house invited four celebrated creative minds – @ronanaerwanbouroullec, Konstantin Grcic, @herzogdemeuron and @rem.koolhaas – to each create a unique item with its iconic nylon material. The designs will be unveiled on the runway show, which will take place at the company’s warehouse in Viale Ortles 25. #wwdfashion #mfwm (📷: @martinocarrera)
@kering_official is spinning off its stake in puma in an effort to focus on its luxury brands, the brand operator announced yesterday. “We are proud to have supported the turnaround of Puma, which now has unrivaled capabilities to take full advantage of the specific dynamics of its global markets and is poised to achieve substantial growth,” said François-Henri Pinault, Kering’s chief executive officer and chairman. Artémis will become a “long-term strategic shareholder” of Puma with a 29 percent stake. #wwdnews #wwdfashion (📷: @jilliansollazzo)
The fashion world mourns for celebrated street style photographer, Nabile Quenum, who died at age 32 in Paris.
Quenum, creator of the fashion blog “J’ai Perdu Ma Veste,” was a fashion week fixture, and regularly shot for New York magazine’s The Cut, among other outlets, and brands such as Louis Vuitton, Moncler and Adidas. He was also actively involved in the #NoFreePhotos initiative, which kicked off in the fall. Read more about Quenum in @kbsmoke's story on WWD.com. #wwdnews
@verwanggang and @maisonladuree have teamed up on a dessert collab called Vera Wang Pour Ladurée. The collection, which launched this week, features a specialty macaroon, as well as a wedding cake inspired by one of the designer’s gowns. “I could not imagine a more delicate or sophisticated creation to grace any couple’s celebration,” said Wang. #wwdfashion