PARIS — There’s no chance of a fashion comeback for retired couturier Yves Saint Laurent.
But in the latest twist concerning the fate of his fabled atelier and its 150 workers, Saint Laurent and his partner, Pierre Bergé, said Monday they would buy back their fashion operation for a symbolic euro from French tycoon François Pinault.
When completed, the transaction would override French industrialist Patrice Bouygues’s intention to transform YSL’s ateliers into a multi-brand fashion operation.
Bouygues in March offered to take over the house for a symbolic euro, or about a dollar. He outlined a plan to hire five designers to work at the house and put the know-how of YSL’s atelier at their disposal. He also said he would provide services to other Paris couture houses.
But the YSL workers’ committee repeatedly spurned Bouygues’ offer. They said he refused to provide enough financial information and explain how he planned to make the business viable.
Last month, a Paris court ruled in favor of the workers, saying that they could not be forced to accept Bouygues’s plans. The decision was also upheld when appealed.
In a statement, Saint Laurent and Bergé said they would like to work in tandem with Artemis, Pinault’s private holding company, to hammer out a compensation plan that would be ratified in "accord with the workers and respect their legitimate interests." Artemis has funded YSL’s money-losing couture operation since purchasing it in 1999.
A spokeswoman for Artemis said Pinault proposed the solution to Bergé after the prolonged logjam between Bouygues and the workers.
"Bergé will be free to liquidate the house as he sees fit," said the Artemis spokeswoman. "When the deal closes, he will be responsible for the workers. Artemis favored Bouygues’s proposition because it saved all of the jobs at the house. We don’t see how closing the house can be good for the workers."
Bergé, who was traveling on Monday, could not be reached for comment.
But a spokeswoman at YSL couture reiterated that the deal would not translate into a comeback for YSL.
"There are no plans for Saint Laurent to design at the house," she said. "Instead, this offer represents Messrs. Saint Laurent and Bergé’s wish to take care of us."As of Monday, workers were still completing orders on Saint Laurent’s last collection, shown on the runway last March as part of a retrospective extravaganza.
Harrods plans to remove the famous statue of Princess Diana and Dodi Al Fayed from the bottom of the Egyptian escalators and hand it back to Mohamed Al-Fayed. “We are very proud to have played our role in celebrating the lives of Diana, Princess of Wales and Dodi Al Fayed at Harrods and to have welcomed people from around the world to visit the memorial for the past 20 years,” said Michael Ward, Harrods managing director. “With the announcement of the new official memorial statue to Diana, Princess of Wales at Kensington Palace, we feel that the time is right to return this memorial to Mr. Al Fayed and for the public to be invited to pay their respects at the palace.” More on the news, with reporting by @loreleimarfil, at WWD.com. #wwdnews
@prada is introducing a new project at its men’s fall 2018 show this Sunday: “Prada Invites.” The fashion house invited four celebrated creative minds – @ronanaerwanbouroullec, Konstantin Grcic, @herzogdemeuron and @rem.koolhaas – to each create a unique item with its iconic nylon material. The designs will be unveiled on the runway show, which will take place at the company’s warehouse in Viale Ortles 25. #wwdfashion #mfwm (📷: @martinocarrera)
@kering_official is spinning off its stake in puma in an effort to focus on its luxury brands, the brand operator announced yesterday. “We are proud to have supported the turnaround of Puma, which now has unrivaled capabilities to take full advantage of the specific dynamics of its global markets and is poised to achieve substantial growth,” said François-Henri Pinault, Kering’s chief executive officer and chairman. Artémis will become a “long-term strategic shareholder” of Puma with a 29 percent stake. #wwdnews #wwdfashion (📷: @jilliansollazzo)
The fashion world mourns for celebrated street style photographer, Nabile Quenum, who died at age 32 in Paris.
Quenum, creator of the fashion blog “J’ai Perdu Ma Veste,” was a fashion week fixture, and regularly shot for New York magazine’s The Cut, among other outlets, and brands such as Louis Vuitton, Moncler and Adidas. He was also actively involved in the #NoFreePhotos initiative, which kicked off in the fall. Read more about Quenum in @kbsmoke's story on WWD.com. #wwdnews
@verwanggang and @maisonladuree have teamed up on a dessert collab called Vera Wang Pour Ladurée. The collection, which launched this week, features a specialty macaroon, as well as a wedding cake inspired by one of the designer’s gowns. “I could not imagine a more delicate or sophisticated creation to grace any couple’s celebration,” said Wang. #wwdfashion