TOKYO — In a series of moves that could have long-term ramifications for its employees’ job security, Seiyu Ltd. is beginning to adopt Wal-Mart Stores’ penchant for efficiency.
Seiyu, the Japanese supermarket and general merchandise chain in which Wal-Mart carries a 37 percent stake, said last week it was "studying" a new personnel policy, although "nothing is definitive at this time." It didn’t comment on press reports here that said the new policy could result in workforce reductions of up to 40 percent over a three-year period. A Wal-Mart spokesman referred to discussion of job cuts as "premature."
The firm said it’s studying a personnel policy based on "the right man in the right place," "development of ability" and "wages based on results," while at the same time structuring a new format of store organization.
Seiyu added that its management policy stresses the "human" element and the vitalization of human resources as an important management issue.
The retailer is also set to begin implementing Wal-Mart’s Retail Link computer supply-chain management system, which connects stores to worldwide suppliers in real time.
The Wal-Mart spokesman, reached at the company’s Bentonville, Ark., headquarters, noted: "We are going to be introducing not only our systems [into Seiyu], but lots of other Wal-Mart processes. We expect to have Retail Link installed as sort of a pilot probably in August or September, but it will probably be next year before it’s fully implemented."
There is no linkage, he said, between the installation of computer systems at the Japanese firm and job cuts.
"Wal-Mart is a company that seeks to find efficiency at every point that it can and certainly we’re trying to do that at Seiyu," said the spokesman. "Some of the computer systems that we use can enhance efficiencies at Seiyu. We also believe we should have people working at Seiyu who are doing the appropriate jobs and that we have an appropriately sized workforce.
"I think it’s premature to say that we are going to be cutting a lot of jobs at this point," he noted.
Wal-Mart acquired its initial 6.1 percent stake in Seiyu in May 2002. Seiyu operates about 214 doors and pulled in sales of roughly $6.53 billion last year.
Harrods plans to remove the famous statue of Princess Diana and Dodi Al Fayed from the bottom of the Egyptian escalators and hand it back to Mohamed Al-Fayed. “We are very proud to have played our role in celebrating the lives of Diana, Princess of Wales and Dodi Al Fayed at Harrods and to have welcomed people from around the world to visit the memorial for the past 20 years,” said Michael Ward, Harrods managing director. “With the announcement of the new official memorial statue to Diana, Princess of Wales at Kensington Palace, we feel that the time is right to return this memorial to Mr. Al Fayed and for the public to be invited to pay their respects at the palace.” More on the news, with reporting by @loreleimarfil, at WWD.com. #wwdnews
@prada is introducing a new project at its men’s fall 2018 show this Sunday: “Prada Invites.” The fashion house invited four celebrated creative minds – @ronanaerwanbouroullec, Konstantin Grcic, @herzogdemeuron and @rem.koolhaas – to each create a unique item with its iconic nylon material. The designs will be unveiled on the runway show, which will take place at the company’s warehouse in Viale Ortles 25. #wwdfashion #mfwm (📷: @martinocarrera)
@kering_official is spinning off its stake in puma in an effort to focus on its luxury brands, the brand operator announced yesterday. “We are proud to have supported the turnaround of Puma, which now has unrivaled capabilities to take full advantage of the specific dynamics of its global markets and is poised to achieve substantial growth,” said François-Henri Pinault, Kering’s chief executive officer and chairman. Artémis will become a “long-term strategic shareholder” of Puma with a 29 percent stake. #wwdnews #wwdfashion (📷: @jilliansollazzo)
The fashion world mourns for celebrated street style photographer, Nabile Quenum, who died at age 32 in Paris.
Quenum, creator of the fashion blog “J’ai Perdu Ma Veste,” was a fashion week fixture, and regularly shot for New York magazine’s The Cut, among other outlets, and brands such as Louis Vuitton, Moncler and Adidas. He was also actively involved in the #NoFreePhotos initiative, which kicked off in the fall. Read more about Quenum in @kbsmoke's story on WWD.com. #wwdnews
@verwanggang and @maisonladuree have teamed up on a dessert collab called Vera Wang Pour Ladurée. The collection, which launched this week, features a specialty macaroon, as well as a wedding cake inspired by one of the designer’s gowns. “I could not imagine a more delicate or sophisticated creation to grace any couple’s celebration,” said Wang. #wwdfashion