Selective Beauty, a onetime distributor of Juicy Couture and Usher fragrances in Europe, has sued Liz Claiborne Inc. for $20.2 million, alleging that Claiborne’s licensing of its fragrance brand portfolio to Elizabeth Arden contributed to the beauty distributor’s bankruptcy.
In a lawsuit filed in U.S. District Court in Manhattan on Nov. 24, the French firm said that, starting with a partnership for Juicy Couture in February 2007, it helped build both brands in its markets at its own expense. The company alleges the sudden loss of the Claiborne business in June 2008 contributed to its financial woes earlier this year.
Nick Rubino, senior vice president and chief legal officer of Claiborne, said, “We believe the allegations are without merit and we plan to conduct a vigorous defense.” A spokesman for Arden declined comment.
Selective Beauty alleges that throughout 2007 and early 2008, it expanded its partnership with Liz Claiborne so it eventually handled distribution of the Juicy Couture fragrance in markets including Germany, France and Italy, as well as the launch of the Usher scent in the U.K. and Ireland. In court documents, the company asserted that the parties’ agreement for each fragrance was to last for five years and Claiborne said it would honor its commitments whether or not the firms had signed a contract.
Selective Beauty said with an understanding that Claiborne would continue their arrangement, it used its own resources to promote both fragrances. In May 2008, however, the distributor said it discovered through press reports that Claiborne had signed a European licensing agreement for the fragrances with Elizabeth Arden.
“Thus, in bad faith and without any notice or just cause, Liz Claiborne gave Selective Beauty’s now-valuable exclusive distribution rights to Elizabeth Arden, without providing Selective Beauty any compensation for the loss of these rights and the millions of dollars Selective Beauty had already spent promoting Liz Claiborne’s products,” lawyers for the company wrote.
Selective Beauty entered administration in commercial court in Bobigny, France, in March and emerged in July. In its suit, the company alleged the fallout from the Claiborne partnership exacerbated its financial woes leading up to the bankruptcy. The company is seeking $20.2 million in compensatory damages and costs.
Harrods plans to remove the famous statue of Princess Diana and Dodi Al Fayed from the bottom of the Egyptian escalators and hand it back to Mohamed Al-Fayed. “We are very proud to have played our role in celebrating the lives of Diana, Princess of Wales and Dodi Al Fayed at Harrods and to have welcomed people from around the world to visit the memorial for the past 20 years,” said Michael Ward, Harrods managing director. “With the announcement of the new official memorial statue to Diana, Princess of Wales at Kensington Palace, we feel that the time is right to return this memorial to Mr. Al Fayed and for the public to be invited to pay their respects at the palace.” More on the news, with reporting by @loreleimarfil, at WWD.com. #wwdnews
@prada is introducing a new project at its men’s fall 2018 show this Sunday: “Prada Invites.” The fashion house invited four celebrated creative minds – @ronanaerwanbouroullec, Konstantin Grcic, @herzogdemeuron and @rem.koolhaas – to each create a unique item with its iconic nylon material. The designs will be unveiled on the runway show, which will take place at the company’s warehouse in Viale Ortles 25. #wwdfashion #mfwm (📷: @martinocarrera)
@kering_official is spinning off its stake in puma in an effort to focus on its luxury brands, the brand operator announced yesterday. “We are proud to have supported the turnaround of Puma, which now has unrivaled capabilities to take full advantage of the specific dynamics of its global markets and is poised to achieve substantial growth,” said François-Henri Pinault, Kering’s chief executive officer and chairman. Artémis will become a “long-term strategic shareholder” of Puma with a 29 percent stake. #wwdnews #wwdfashion (📷: @jilliansollazzo)
The fashion world mourns for celebrated street style photographer, Nabile Quenum, who died at age 32 in Paris.
Quenum, creator of the fashion blog “J’ai Perdu Ma Veste,” was a fashion week fixture, and regularly shot for New York magazine’s The Cut, among other outlets, and brands such as Louis Vuitton, Moncler and Adidas. He was also actively involved in the #NoFreePhotos initiative, which kicked off in the fall. Read more about Quenum in @kbsmoke's story on WWD.com. #wwdnews
@verwanggang and @maisonladuree have teamed up on a dessert collab called Vera Wang Pour Ladurée. The collection, which launched this week, features a specialty macaroon, as well as a wedding cake inspired by one of the designer’s gowns. “I could not imagine a more delicate or sophisticated creation to grace any couple’s celebration,” said Wang. #wwdfashion