WASHINGTON — The U.S. Department of Justice said Tuesday that Wal-Mart Stores Inc. will pay an $81.6 million federal fine after pleading guilty to violating environmental laws. This resolves federal criminal charges alleging the retail giant illegally dumped hazardous waste in California and mishandled pesticides in Missouri.
Wal-Mart entered into plea agreements with the U.S. Attorney’s Offices in the Northern and Central Districts of California and the U.S. Attorney’s Office for the Western District of Missouri. The company also signed an administrative resolution with the Environmental Protection Agency.
The retailer pleaded guilty to six misdemeanor counts of “negligently violating” the Clean Water Act, DOJ said. The six criminal charges were filed by the U.S. Attorney’s Office in Los Angeles and San Francisco, and the two cases were then consolidated in the Northern District of California, where the guilty pleas were formally entered before U.S. Magistrate Judge Joseph C. Spero.
According to federal court documents, Wal-Mart did not have a program in place until January 2006 to handle and dispose of hazardous materials, and failed to train its employees in proper hazardous waste management and disposal practices at the store level.
“By improperly handling hazardous waste, pesticides and other materials in violation of federal laws, Wal-Mart put the public and the environment at risk and gained an unfair economic advantage over other companies,” said Ignacia S. Moreno, Assistant Attorney General for the Justice Department’s Environment & Natural Resources Division. “Today, Wal-Mart acknowledged responsibility for violations of federal laws and will pay significant fines and penalties, which will, in part, fund important environmental projects in the communities impacted by the violations and help prevent future harm to the environment.”
Combined with previous actions brought by California and Missouri for similar conduct, Wal-Mart will wind up paying a total of $110 million to resolve federal and state cases, the Justice Department said. As part of a plea agreement filed in California, Wal-Mart will be required to pay a $40 million criminal fine and an additional $20 million that will fund various community service projects, including opening a $6 million Retail Compliance Assistance Center that will help stores across the nation learn how to properly handle hazardous waste.
Wal-Mart said the compliance issues occurred years ago and that the federal cases and settlement follow civil settlements it entered into with California in 2010 and Missouri in 2012. Settlements with the two states “addressed the same facts the federal government in this case raised and which Wal-Mart has already remedied,” the company said, adding that “no specific environmental impact has been alleged, and since then Wal-Mart designed and implemented comprehensive environmental programs that remain in place today.”
Phyllis Harris, senior vice president and chief compliance officer for Wal-Mart U.S., said: “Wal-Mart has a comprehensive industry-leading hazardous waste program. The program was built around training, policies and procedures on how to safely handle consumer products that become hazardous waste, and we continue to run the same program in every store and club that was deployed years ago. We are pleased that this resolves all of these issues raised by the government.”
Harrods plans to remove the famous statue of Princess Diana and Dodi Al Fayed from the bottom of the Egyptian escalators and hand it back to Mohamed Al-Fayed. “We are very proud to have played our role in celebrating the lives of Diana, Princess of Wales and Dodi Al Fayed at Harrods and to have welcomed people from around the world to visit the memorial for the past 20 years,” said Michael Ward, Harrods managing director. “With the announcement of the new official memorial statue to Diana, Princess of Wales at Kensington Palace, we feel that the time is right to return this memorial to Mr. Al Fayed and for the public to be invited to pay their respects at the palace.” More on the news, with reporting by @loreleimarfil, at WWD.com. #wwdnews
@prada is introducing a new project at its men’s fall 2018 show this Sunday: “Prada Invites.” The fashion house invited four celebrated creative minds – @ronanaerwanbouroullec, Konstantin Grcic, @herzogdemeuron and @rem.koolhaas – to each create a unique item with its iconic nylon material. The designs will be unveiled on the runway show, which will take place at the company’s warehouse in Viale Ortles 25. #wwdfashion #mfwm (📷: @martinocarrera)
@kering_official is spinning off its stake in puma in an effort to focus on its luxury brands, the brand operator announced yesterday. “We are proud to have supported the turnaround of Puma, which now has unrivaled capabilities to take full advantage of the specific dynamics of its global markets and is poised to achieve substantial growth,” said François-Henri Pinault, Kering’s chief executive officer and chairman. Artémis will become a “long-term strategic shareholder” of Puma with a 29 percent stake. #wwdnews #wwdfashion (📷: @jilliansollazzo)
The fashion world mourns for celebrated street style photographer, Nabile Quenum, who died at age 32 in Paris.
Quenum, creator of the fashion blog “J’ai Perdu Ma Veste,” was a fashion week fixture, and regularly shot for New York magazine’s The Cut, among other outlets, and brands such as Louis Vuitton, Moncler and Adidas. He was also actively involved in the #NoFreePhotos initiative, which kicked off in the fall. Read more about Quenum in @kbsmoke's story on WWD.com. #wwdnews
@verwanggang and @maisonladuree have teamed up on a dessert collab called Vera Wang Pour Ladurée. The collection, which launched this week, features a specialty macaroon, as well as a wedding cake inspired by one of the designer’s gowns. “I could not imagine a more delicate or sophisticated creation to grace any couple’s celebration,” said Wang. #wwdfashion