By  on October 4, 2007

Wal-Mart Stores Inc. on Wednesday was ordered to pay another $62.3 million to workers in Pennsylvania who said they weren't allowed rest and meal breaks.

Philadelphia Common Pleas Judge Mark Bernstein said he was penalizing the Bentonville, Ark.-based retailer because there was no "good faith" reason for in effect underpaying the employees.

The class-action suit involves 187,000 current and former employees who worked at Wal-Mart and Sam's Club from March 1998 through May 2006. A jury last year awarded them $78.5 million.

A smaller number of workers — 124,506 who worked from January 2002 through October 2006 — qualified for the damages awarded Wednesday. They will get about $500 each under a state law invoked when a company withholds pay for more than 30 days without cause.

Wal-Mart has been involved in similar suits across the country. A trial in California ended with a $172 million verdict, which the company is appealing. Wal-Mart settled a Colorado suit for $50 million. There are cases pending in New Jersey and other states.

"While Wal-Mart respects the court and the jury, we strongly disagree with the decisions against the company in this case," said Sharon Weber, a Wal-Mart spokeswoman. "It is our policy to pay every associate for every hour worked, and any manager who violates that policy is subject to discipline."

To Read the Full Article
SUBSCRIBE NOW

Tap into our Global Network

Of Industry Leaders and Designers

load comments
blog comments powered by Disqus