LOS ANGELES — The Ports of Los Angeles and Long Beach resumed full operations Wednesday following a tentative contract deal reached late Tuesday between representatives for the International Longshore and Warehouse Workers Local 63 Office Clerical Unit and the Harbor Employers Association, while industry groups remained concerned over a looming deadline for contract talks between dockworkers and ocean carriers on the East Coast.
Federal mediators were called in Tuesday by Los Angeles Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa to help end the eight-day strike that has cost the Southern California economy an estimated $8 billion. At 10:30 p.m., Villaraigosa emerged from the port-side talks with both negotiating teams to announce, “The ILWU voted to approve the contract.” While the agreement still needs to be ratified by the OCU’s 800 members, union officials said they expected it to pass. The clerical workers had been working without a contract since their previous one expired in June 2010.
Details of the new deal, which will last for six years retroactive to June 30, 2010, have not been released, but the mayor and OCU representatives said an agreement was reached on not outsourcing jobs to nonunion workers.
Stephen Berry, chief negotiator for the Harbor Employers Association, said, “We’re delighted with the terms.” Berry said the package included unspecified wage and pension increases. He also said there was added job security to the deal, that included a “no layoff” clause that would go into effect once ratified.
“This victory was accomplished because of support from the entire ILWU family of 10,000 members in the harbor community,” said ILWU International president Robert McEllrath on the union’s Web site.
While there were only 450 clerical workers when the strike began, the longshoremen and other union members who operate the ports honored the OCU’s picket lines, effectively shutting down 10 of the 14 terminals at the twin ports, which handle near 40 percent of shipped goods entering the U.S.
The strike at the nation’s business seaport complex was the longest since the 10-day walkout in 2002. At least 18 freighters bound for Los Angles and Long Beach during the strike were diverted to ports in Oakland, Calif., Mexico and Panama, according to the Maritime Exchange of Southern California. Many others idled for days at offshore anchorages, waiting to unload their containers.
“Retailers welcome the news that America’s two largest ports will resume operations and begin off-loading the hundreds of millions of dollars in cargo that has been stranded offshore for a week,” said Sandy Kennedy, president of the Retail Industry Leaders Association. “Retailers will now turn their attention to the Gulf and East Coast ports where the Dec. 29 deadline to reach an agreement is rapidly approaching.”
The two sides are trying to agree to a new collective bargaining agreement covering workers at ports from Maine to Texas and affecting about 20 percent of all apparel, textiles and footwear trade. In 2011, the 14 ports handled more than 110 million tons of cargo.
Matthew Shay, president and chief executive officer of the National Retail Federation, said, “Our attention now shifts to the East and Gulf Coast ports, where federal mediators have been locked in prolonged discussions with labor and management for the past two months. We urge the parties to reach a final agreement before their contract extension ends at the end of December. Retailers, manufacturers and the rest of the business community cannot afford another shutdown. Our economy cannot withstand another port disruption.”
Kevin Burke, president and ceo of the American Apparel & Footwear Association, said more than four million U.S. apparel and footwear workers depend on the ports to move imports and exports.
“We hope the ports overcome delays and can return to normal operations before we begin to any experience long-term consequences of the strike,” Burke said. “We should now focus our attention on ensuring the stakeholders on the East Coast are negotiating in earnest to prevent a strike from ever happening.…Time is running out for a deal and our economy cannot handle another major work stoppage at some of America’s busiest ports.”
James A. Capo, chairman and ceo of the U.S. Maritime Alliance (USMX) said Tuesday the East Coast port talks, also being supervised by the Federal Mediation & Conciliation Service, are ongoing. The USMX and International Longshoremen’s Association have been negotiating since March and agreed in September to extend their collective bargaining agreement covering East and Gulf Coast port workers for 90 days through Dec. 29. A statement on the ILA’s Web site says the union plans to hold a wage-scale committee meeting Dec. 10 to 13 in Delray Beach, Fla. The two sides said they reached an “agreement in principle” in July on issues involving the introduction of new technology and automation, as well as on maintenance and repair of chassis with marine terminals and at off-pier facilities in the East and Gulf Coast ports.
Supermodel @helenachristensen teamed up with longtime friend and designer @camillastaerk on a joint @paredeyewear collaboration. The lineup features three styles and 11 offerings, all of which embody a vintage feel. Get all the details on how they celebrated the collab on WWD.com. #wwdaccessories #wwdeye (📷: @slovekinpics)
“It’s a hard industry to keep motivated, as well, so finding different subjects and people is what makes it worth it – when you’re like, oh, I’ve met great people, I feel like I’ve done something good, and I feel proud of having done this,” said French actress Stacy Martin on being grateful for the variety of roles she’s take on. Read @ktauer’s full interview with Martin on her her latest film “Godard Mon Amour.” #wwdeye (📷: @danieldorsa)
After showing in front of the Eiffel Tower for his last two women’s ready-to-wear collection, it looks like @anthonyvaccarello may be heading to the Big Apple. Sources say the designer will stage his next @ysl show in NYC on June 6. Get all the details on WWD.com. #wwdnews #wwdfashion (📷: @aitorrosasphoto)
EXCLUSIVE: Two and half months after John Targon, cofounder and codesigner of Baja East, was hired as creative director of the contemporary division at Marc Jacobs, he has left the company, WWD has learned. Marc Jacobs International, which is owned by LVMH Moët Hennessy Louis Vuitton, confirmed Targon’s departure in a statement: “John Targon is a talented designer and we appreciate the work he has done here. Ultimately working together did not make sense for the brand and we wish him the best.” Read the story by @jessiredale, link in bio. #wwdnews
@theluxurycollection is officially launching a collection, tapping Sofia Sanchez de Betak for the capsule. Over 30 styles will be featured in the Chufy x The Luxury Collection, debuting next month at Bergdorf Goodman, The Webster, FiveStory and more. De Betak, known as “@chufy,” drew inspiration for the collection from her trips to Japan in the past year #wwdfashion
@lhd, founder and CEO of @thewebster, has teamed up with @lebonmarcherivegauche for the European launch of her ready-to-wear line, LHD. The launch will come with an exclusive pop-up opening today that’s set to run through May 20. Located on the second floor, it carries her debut Miami-themed resort collection, launched in November as see-now-buy-now. #wwdfashion