Metro area population: 21.5 million Area: 1,485 square kilometers, or 573 square miles Number of cars: Over 3 million
Main Businesses: Commercial and financial services; manufacturing.
Average Hotel Rates: $18 per night for hostels in the center of town; $50 for small hotels, and $500 for luxury accommodations.
• Mexico City generates 21.5 percent of Mexico’s total GDP.
• Mexico City inhabitants are known as “Chilangos.” While nobody knows exactly what the word means, it is considered derogatory except when used by natives themselves.
• Distinguished locals: Montezuma II, ninth Aztec emperor (1502-1521) who was manipulated by conqueror Hernán Cortes and stoned to death by his people. What is commonly known as “Montezuma’s Revenge” (intense stomach trouble) actually has nothing to do with the mild-mannered emperor.
• Carlos Slim, richest man in the world, according to Forbes magazine.
• Novelist Carlos Fuentes.
• Carlos Monsivais, journalist and essayist, whose campy Estanquillo Museum is a great example of local culture.
• Singer Thalia, who married Sony executive Tommy Mottola wearing a gown with a 52-foot train at St. Patrick’s Cathedral in New York.
• Film director Alejandro González Iñárritu, whose movie “Amores Perros,” shot in Mexico City (2000), ignited global interest in contemporary Mexican film.
• Actor Diego Luna, who starred in director and fellow native Alfonso Cuarón’s film “Y Tu Mama También”(2001).
• Mexico City was also home to artists Diego Rivera, Frida Kahlo, Siquieros and Orozco and gave refuge to noted Marxist Leon Trotsky. Even today Mexico City gives asylum to those persecuted in their countries. At the Casa Refugio Citlaltépetl, writers, mostly from Muslim countries, find refuge and continue with their work.
• Mexico City once had the largest population of any city in the world.
• Hundreds of years ago, the Aztecs claimed the city from small local tribes, named it “Tenochtitlan,” and built a system of damns surrounding it with fresh water.
• Mexico City became the capital of the Mexican Republic when the country declared independence from Spain in the 19th century.
• The public park Bosque de Chapultepec contains three lakes, a zoo, a castle and the president’s palace.
Sources: INEGI (Instituto Nacional de Estadistica, Geografia e InformAtica; Bloomberg; British Council, Mexico City, Destination360.com
“What he has done at Vuitton is really exceptional,” said @gameofthrones’ actress Gwendoline Christie on @mrkimjones’ final show for @louisvuitton. “He has rebooted luxury in terms of making it commercial, viable and contemporary. And most importantly artistic. He has never compromised his artistic vision for the sake of commodity.” (📷: @zefashioninsider)
After seeing a demand for men’s wear from its customers, British contemporary women’s wear label @ariesarise has added a men’s wear component and will launch a unisex collection with @mrporterlive. The 20-piece collection includes jackets, denim, logo T-shirts and more with deconstructed ‘90s vibes. Set to launch on January 18, you can shop the pieces on Aries’ website and on mrporter.com. #wwdfashion
“And so spending so much time with a character who thinks like that, inevitability you try and analyze yourself and go back and think about your own demons and dark chapters that you had in your life,” says @thedanielbruhl of his role in TNT’s “The Alienist.” The show, set in the Gilded Age of New York, also stars Dakota Fanning and Luke Evans. Head to WWD.com to read about how 39-year-old Brühl prepared for the role and why he thinks the show is so relevant to today #wwdeye ( 📷: @Eriktanner)
Now that Celine Dion’s collection has topped $10 million in sales, the pop superstar, fashion icon and newly-minted industry player is eyeing growth in Asia. Read the full report by @tiffanyap, link in bio. #wwdnews #celinedion
“My personal philosophy to beauty is paying attention to oneself. I love to be outdoors, lots of fresh air, trying to take care of yourself as best you can. I always notice that comes through,” says Felicity Jones, the global face of @shiseido-owned @cledepeaubeauteus, which launches today. Head to WWD.com to read more about the actress’ love for beauty and how she prepared for her new role in “The Basis of Sex,” playing the young Ruth Bader Ginsburg. #wwdbeauty (📷: @dandoperalski)
Among the familiar faces at @off____white’s show was a surprise figure: Japanese artist @takashipom, pictured here on Wednesday morning. Other show-goers included @jerrylorenzo, who spoke about his upcoming project: a @nike collaboration for back to school, with designs inspired by his childhood on the West Coast. Sitting in the front row were Future, Don Crawley, @miguel and more. See the rest of the photos on WWD.com #wwdeye (📷: Stephane Feugere)
According to @laurentsai, former “Terrace House: Aloha State” cast member, she didn’t know she was auditioning for the Japanese version of “Real World.” “I was telling a couple of my friends and someone’s like, ‘That sounds a lot like Terrace House.’ I was like, ’No it can’t be.’” Turns out, it was. But Tsai isn’t just a reality star — she’s an illustrator who has worked with Starbucks Japan and most recently, she’s dipping her toes into the fashion world. Head to WWD.com to read about her time on the show, modeling and her art. #wwdeye (📷: @danieldorsa)
More changes are coming to New York Fashion Week: Beginning with the spring 2019 collection, @alexanderwangny will move his New York show to June from September, adopting a biannual schedule with collections shown in June and December. Additionally, the @cfda is planning for an official summer/winter fashion season taking place as soon as June and December 2018. Read more about the upcoming changes on WWD.com. #wwdnews #wwdfashion (📷: @slovekinpics)