Metro area population: 21.5 million Area: 1,485 square kilometers, or 573 square miles Number of cars: Over 3 million
Main Businesses: Commercial and financial services; manufacturing.
Average Hotel Rates: $18 per night for hostels in the center of town; $50 for small hotels, and $500 for luxury accommodations.
• Mexico City generates 21.5 percent of Mexico’s total GDP.
• Mexico City inhabitants are known as “Chilangos.” While nobody knows exactly what the word means, it is considered derogatory except when used by natives themselves.
• Distinguished locals: Montezuma II, ninth Aztec emperor (1502-1521) who was manipulated by conqueror Hernán Cortes and stoned to death by his people. What is commonly known as “Montezuma’s Revenge” (intense stomach trouble) actually has nothing to do with the mild-mannered emperor.
• Carlos Slim, richest man in the world, according to Forbes magazine.
• Novelist Carlos Fuentes.
• Carlos Monsivais, journalist and essayist, whose campy Estanquillo Museum is a great example of local culture.
• Singer Thalia, who married Sony executive Tommy Mottola wearing a gown with a 52-foot train at St. Patrick’s Cathedral in New York.
• Film director Alejandro González Iñárritu, whose movie “Amores Perros,” shot in Mexico City (2000), ignited global interest in contemporary Mexican film.
• Actor Diego Luna, who starred in director and fellow native Alfonso Cuarón’s film “Y Tu Mama También”(2001).
• Mexico City was also home to artists Diego Rivera, Frida Kahlo, Siquieros and Orozco and gave refuge to noted Marxist Leon Trotsky. Even today Mexico City gives asylum to those persecuted in their countries. At the Casa Refugio Citlaltépetl, writers, mostly from Muslim countries, find refuge and continue with their work.
• Mexico City once had the largest population of any city in the world.
• Hundreds of years ago, the Aztecs claimed the city from small local tribes, named it “Tenochtitlan,” and built a system of damns surrounding it with fresh water.
• Mexico City became the capital of the Mexican Republic when the country declared independence from Spain in the 19th century.
• The public park Bosque de Chapultepec contains three lakes, a zoo, a castle and the president’s palace.
Sources: INEGI (Instituto Nacional de Estadistica, Geografia e InformAtica; Bloomberg; British Council, Mexico City, Destination360.com
There'll be no rest for those headed to Europe for men's, as Paris just closed the gap with Milan. According to a provisional calendar released by the Chambre Syndicale, Paris Men's Week will now open a day earlier on January 16. See new highlights on the official lineup on WWD.com. #wwdnews #wwdfashion (📷: @kukukuba)
BREAKING: Jonathan Saunders is leaving @DVF. The designer has resigned from his position as chief creative officer of Diane von Furstenberg, the company said in a statement on Friday. At the time of his hire, von Furstenberg said Saunders’ arrival symbolized and facilitated her stepping back from the day-to-day duties that occupy the work of a full-time creative director. The British designer joined DVF in May 2016 and was in charge of all product categories. #wwdnews
For @versace_official’s spring ad campaign, the brand emphasized the archival prints from the spring tribute collection dedicated to the late Gianni Versace. Closing out the show were five of Gianni’s favorite models: Cindy, Naomi, Carla, Helena, and Claudia. Bowing on December 18, the new campaign is yet another tribute to supermodel-dom as the images by Steven Meisel are fronted by @iamnaomicampbell, @cturlington, @gisele and more. #wwdfashion
Four-time Oscar-nominated actress Annette Bening has been waiting 20 years to play Gloria Graham in "Film Stars Don't Die in Liverpool," which will be released on December 29. The movie about Graham – a Hollywood star known for her controversial relationship with a younger Englishman named Peter Turner – is based off a memoir Turned wrote. "She felt vulnerable to him, because she loved him, she really did love him. And anyone that we really truly are in love with, we re vulnerable to in a very deep way," said Bening. Read our full interview with the modern icon of an actress on WWD.com. #wwdeye (📷: @ninebagatelles; Styled by @cristinaehrlich)
The crisp white button down: a staple that can be dressed up or down and accessorized throughout the decades. Here, on a Art Basel-goer in 2017 on the left and on the iconic Audrey Hepburn in “Roman Holiday” in 1953 on the right. #tbt #wwdfashion (📷: Andrew Morales)
Known for her work with @victoriassecret, 25-year-old model @georgiafowler is raising her profile in Hollywood. Fowler stars in @vincecamuto’s holiday campaign, which launched in partnership with “Pitch Perfect 3.” “Almost every shoot with Vince Camuto, I’ve had to face a fear…It was definitely a challenge. I’m so grateful for it, though. I’ve always wanted to be a pop star, so that was the perfect chance,” Fowler said. Head to WWD.com to read about Fowler’s experience modeling, including at the #VSFashionShow, and her relationship with Nick Jonas. #wwdeye (📷: @jilliansollazzo)
EXCLUSIVE: Huda Kattan just became the first beauty influencer to land a major beauty deal. Kattan's business, @hudabeauty, has received a minority investment from private equity firm TSG Consumer Partners. The brand, which industry sources say is on track to do $200 million in retail sales for 2017, will receive support on product, retail and geographic expansion through the deal. Get all the details on the deal and read @_a_collins' interview with Kattan on WWD.com. Link in bio. (📷: @jgreenery) #wwdbeauty #wwdnews
Peruvian model @juanaburga_official – who is known for walking the runways of @rodarte, @viviennewestwood and @torybuch – is making the move to the big screen with drama “Los Últimos.” The film premiered in Argentina in November and arrives in the U.S. and Europe in 2018. On making the switch from modeling to acting, Burga told WWD: “It’s a completely different thing – a lot of people think it’s similar or try to connect things, especially like getting used to the camera or being looked at all the time or playing these different characrers, but film is a completely different story.” #wwdeye (📷: @jgreenery)
London’s newly opened @designmuseum will look back on the life and work of Azzedine Alaïa in a show that the designer helped to curate before he died of heart failure last month. The retrospective, which Alaïa had worked on with Mark Wilson, chief curator of the @groningermuseum, will look at the impact of his work worldwide. The show, “Azzedine Alaïa: The Couturier,” will run from May 10 to October 7. Read more about the exhibit on WWD.com #wwdnews #wwdfashion (📷: @zefashioninsider)