Metro area population: 21.5 million Area: 1,485 square kilometers, or 573 square miles Number of cars: Over 3 million
Main Businesses: Commercial and financial services; manufacturing.
Average Hotel Rates: $18 per night for hostels in the center of town; $50 for small hotels, and $500 for luxury accommodations.
• Mexico City generates 21.5 percent of Mexico’s total GDP.
• Mexico City inhabitants are known as “Chilangos.” While nobody knows exactly what the word means, it is considered derogatory except when used by natives themselves.
• Distinguished locals: Montezuma II, ninth Aztec emperor (1502-1521) who was manipulated by conqueror Hernán Cortes and stoned to death by his people. What is commonly known as “Montezuma’s Revenge” (intense stomach trouble) actually has nothing to do with the mild-mannered emperor.
• Carlos Slim, richest man in the world, according to Forbes magazine.
• Novelist Carlos Fuentes.
• Carlos Monsivais, journalist and essayist, whose campy Estanquillo Museum is a great example of local culture.
• Singer Thalia, who married Sony executive Tommy Mottola wearing a gown with a 52-foot train at St. Patrick’s Cathedral in New York.
• Film director Alejandro González Iñárritu, whose movie “Amores Perros,” shot in Mexico City (2000), ignited global interest in contemporary Mexican film.
• Actor Diego Luna, who starred in director and fellow native Alfonso Cuarón’s film “Y Tu Mama También”(2001).
• Mexico City was also home to artists Diego Rivera, Frida Kahlo, Siquieros and Orozco and gave refuge to noted Marxist Leon Trotsky. Even today Mexico City gives asylum to those persecuted in their countries. At the Casa Refugio Citlaltépetl, writers, mostly from Muslim countries, find refuge and continue with their work.
• Mexico City once had the largest population of any city in the world.
• Hundreds of years ago, the Aztecs claimed the city from small local tribes, named it “Tenochtitlan,” and built a system of damns surrounding it with fresh water.
• Mexico City became the capital of the Mexican Republic when the country declared independence from Spain in the 19th century.
• The public park Bosque de Chapultepec contains three lakes, a zoo, a castle and the president’s palace.
Sources: INEGI (Instituto Nacional de Estadistica, Geografia e InformAtica; Bloomberg; British Council, Mexico City, Destination360.com
@chanel and @pharrell dropped what’s being dubbed as the world’s most exclusive sneakers yesterday. The Adidas Originals NMD Hu, which Williams designed in collaboration with Chanel and @adidasoriginals, has a waiting list of over 120K people who pre-registered online at chanelatcolette.fr –– and only 500 pairs are on sale. The singer predicted the resale value of the shoes could reach $40K. Read the full interview on WWD.com. Link in bio. #wwdfashion (📷: Dominique Maître)
@imanshumpert is diving deeper into his creative endeavors and relaunching his clothing line, Post 90s, and is helping to raise money for the hurricane victims in St. Maarten with a jersey he’s designed with his brother. The Cleveland Cavaliers player talked to WWD about kneeling during the national anthem, working with fashion brands and how he wants to be more than an @nba player. Read the interview on WWD.com #wwdfashion (📷: George Chinese)
Not only does #TheProfit return to CNBC tonight, but @marcuslemonis has launched @shopmarcus, a new shopping and lifestyle retail experience in Aspen and Chicago, with more locations to come. The retail stores offer in-store stylists and a variety of contemporary womenswear selections.
“It’s life, I’m going to face it,” @mingxi11 sighed. “I fell, but you know, I think the most important thing is that I get back up. I had the love, the help from my sister — the girl next to me Gizele [Oliveira] — she’s so nice. When I went backstage everybody was trying to comfort me like ‘Oh Ming, it’s OK.’ I’m really, really touched. I think it’s them who gave me the courage to go back on stage for the finale,” Xi told WWD of her fall at the @victoriassecret fashion show. (📷: David Fisher) #wwdfashion #vsfashionshow #victoriassecret
@louisvuitton tapped @therealpeterlindbergh for its latest city-centric photo book, which is part of a series called Fashion Eye. The primarily black and white book captures the spirit of Berlin in 57 images shot between 1989 and 2019. “Berlin is an inspiration for me, more than a city. I mean @millajovovich is simply Berlin!” said Lindbergh. #wwdfashion
“You know, I think audiences expect a certain performance so I have to deliver to them what they’re expecting to a certain degree. But I’m also a different actor and a different person, I have my own spin on the character,” says @noahegalvin of his takeover of the leading role in “Dear Evan Hansen” following the departure of @bensplatt, who originated the role. Read WWD’s interview with the 23-year-old actor on WWD.com #wwdeye (📷: @jilliansollazzo)
For pre-fall 2018, @etro created richly-colored wonderland, using tapestries, textiles and wallpapers from the Eastern world at large. The line featured floral and graphic prints and jacquard motifs, like this two-piece look featured here. #wwdfashion (📷: Giovanna Pavesi)
@kith is moving into children’s. The men’s and women’s streetwear brand has launched Kidset, a Kith kids line located in New York at 64 Bleecker Street. The line includes mini versions of staple Kith pieces like the Astor bomber jacket and the Kith box logo sweatshirts, along with a wall that can display up to 120 pairs of shoes from @adidas, @newbalance, @timberland and more. #wwdfashion
“I just wanted to create this fully rounded character, but I do think what excited me most was just the opportunity to give a group of people representation that I feel needs it. I like to do characters in projects that stand for something and Karolina definitely does, so that was really exciting to me,” @ginnygardner says of her new role in @hulu’s “The Runaways.” Gardner plays Karolina Dean, a queer superhero, which is a rarity for @marvel. Read more about Gardner’s character on WWD.com #wwdeye (📷: @dandoperalski)