Metro area population: 21.5 million Area: 1,485 square kilometers, or 573 square miles Number of cars: Over 3 million
Main Businesses: Commercial and financial services; manufacturing.
Average Hotel Rates: $18 per night for hostels in the center of town; $50 for small hotels, and $500 for luxury accommodations.
• Mexico City generates 21.5 percent of Mexico’s total GDP.
• Mexico City inhabitants are known as “Chilangos.” While nobody knows exactly what the word means, it is considered derogatory except when used by natives themselves.
• Distinguished locals: Montezuma II, ninth Aztec emperor (1502-1521) who was manipulated by conqueror Hernán Cortes and stoned to death by his people. What is commonly known as “Montezuma’s Revenge” (intense stomach trouble) actually has nothing to do with the mild-mannered emperor.
• Carlos Slim, richest man in the world, according to Forbes magazine.
• Novelist Carlos Fuentes.
• Carlos Monsivais, journalist and essayist, whose campy Estanquillo Museum is a great example of local culture.
• Singer Thalia, who married Sony executive Tommy Mottola wearing a gown with a 52-foot train at St. Patrick’s Cathedral in New York.
• Film director Alejandro González Iñárritu, whose movie “Amores Perros,” shot in Mexico City (2000), ignited global interest in contemporary Mexican film.
• Actor Diego Luna, who starred in director and fellow native Alfonso Cuarón’s film “Y Tu Mama También”(2001).
• Mexico City was also home to artists Diego Rivera, Frida Kahlo, Siquieros and Orozco and gave refuge to noted Marxist Leon Trotsky. Even today Mexico City gives asylum to those persecuted in their countries. At the Casa Refugio Citlaltépetl, writers, mostly from Muslim countries, find refuge and continue with their work.
• Mexico City once had the largest population of any city in the world.
• Hundreds of years ago, the Aztecs claimed the city from small local tribes, named it “Tenochtitlan,” and built a system of damns surrounding it with fresh water.
• Mexico City became the capital of the Mexican Republic when the country declared independence from Spain in the 19th century.
• The public park Bosque de Chapultepec contains three lakes, a zoo, a castle and the president’s palace.
Sources: INEGI (Instituto Nacional de Estadistica, Geografia e InformAtica; Bloomberg; British Council, Mexico City, Destination360.com
@tradesy is turning the concept of a showroom upside down with its new space in Santa Monica. Here, the company plans to hold events, art exhibits and a showcase rare fashion pieces like this Louis Vuitton boxing set. Get all the details on Tradesy’s first showroom on WWD.com. #wwdnews
Spotted last night at the @erdem x @hm launch event: Kate Bosworth, Rashida Jones, Kirsten Dunst and Selma Blair. The party, which took place in LA, also marked the opening of their pop-up shop. “I was interested in creating a collection that wasn’t in any way disposable. It was about pieces you’d create and keep forever, things that have a permanence to it,” designer Erdem Moralioglu said. #wwdeye (📷: Katie Jones)
Renee Zellweger in yellow in 2001 and again in 2017. Chosen as one of the 12 @pantone Leading Spring Colors (and dubbed “Meadowlark”), it only makes sense that the bright hue stands the test of time and is making a resurgence this season, seen already on stars like @blakelively and @gigihadid. (📷: Donato Sardello & @rexfeatures) #wwdfashion #tbt
Dior’s 70th anniversary celebration continues with a new exhibition at the Royal Ontario Museum in Toronto. “Christian Dior,” which is scheduled to run through March 18, takes a look at the founders tenure from 1947 to 1057 and feature 40 designs. Pictured here is an evening gown from the Ailée, fall 1948-49 haute couture collection. #wwdfashion (📷: Brian Boyle)
As one of the most recognizable models in the world, Christy Turlington Burns has an insider’s view of the fashion industry and the allegations of sexual harassment swirling around it. “I can say that harassment and mistreatment have always been widely known and tolerated in the industry. The industry is surrounded by predators who thrive on the constant rejection and loneliness so many of us have experiences at some point in our careers,” Turlington told WWD, along with her suggestions for how the modeling world should protect younger women and men. Read more on WWD.com. Link in bio. (📷: Tony Palmieri) #wwdnews
@asics America has tapped a new brand ambassador: famed DJ/record producer @steveaoki. This initiative is intended to set the tone for the new brand identity and philosophy and will include partnerships with influencers and in-store and off-line activations that will continue into next year. This is Asics’ most significant marketing effort in two decades, and is expected to attract younger consumers to the brand. #wwdfashion
24-year-old Jean Prounis is redefining the rules of jewelry. Formerly a studio assistant to Jemima Kirke and a design apprentice at Ghuran, she focuses on handcrafted subtleties and ancient goldsmithing techniques. “There was a really sterile feel in the environment and I wanted to have jewelry with character that shapes how you wear it everyday,” Prounis said. Each piece is hand made in New York, either by Prounis or three other jewelers in the district. #wwdfashion
“These collections continue to build on that vision, empowering differently abled adults to express themselves through fashion,” said @tommyhilfiger of his line of adaptive apparel, which launches today. The line consists of 37 men’s and 34 women’s styles based upon the pieces from the spring Tommy Hilfiger sportswear collection. #wwdnews