LONDON — Cynthia Carroll, Anglo American’s chief executive and the newly appointed chairman of its De Beers division, has resigned both posts, the company said in a statement on Friday.Carroll, who has been chief executive of the mining giant since 2007, will remain until a successor at Anglo American has been named and an appropriate transition has taken place, the company added.Carroll was appointed to the Anglo American Board in January 2007, and formally took over as chief executive in March of that year. She was named chairman of De Beers earlier this month. The company gave no reason for her departure.Anglo American’s market capitalization has fallen more than 25 percent since Carroll joined in 2007, and she had come under pressure from recent wildcat strikes in South Africa that dented the company’s platinum production. The South African strikes are part of the worst mining crisis since the end of apartheid.Anglo American holds an 85 percent stake in De Beers, with the government of Botswana owning the remaining 15 percent stake. Nicky Oppenheimer had most recently served as chairman of De Beers, stepping down from that role in September.Earlier this month Carroll said: “I look forward to leading the board and continuing to support the management of the world’s leading diamond company.”Anglo American’s chairman, Sir John Parker, said on Friday that Carroll had a “transformational impact” on Anglo American. “She developed a clear strategy, based on a highly attractive range of core commodities, and created a strong and unified culture and a streamlined organization with a focus on operational performance,” he said.
"In order for Shudu to wear garments, she needs to be able to put them on, just like you would in the real world. You have to digitize the outfits," said Cameron-James Wilson on dressing 3-D model @shudu.gram for her WWD photoshoot. #wwdfashion ( 📸: @cjw.photo )
“Shudu is a digital supermodel, a very glamour and amazing woman. But she’s 3-D,” says Cameron-James Wilson, a fashion photographer and the creature of @shudu.gram. Here, Shudu wears @cushnieetochs for her debut fashion editorial. #wwdfashion (📷: @cjw.photo)
“It is the fierce female performances that came before me that made be able to clearly identify for myself what it was that I wanted to do, what kind of artist I wanted to be, what kind of films I wanted to make,” said @brielarson at the Women in Film Crystal + Lucy Awards. See more pictures from the event on WWD.com. #wwdeye (📷: Matt Baron)
“On a personal level, it’s my vision to create a really different idea with their look to be at the epitome of women’s fashion in South Korea – to create a new milestone,” said stylist @chochowon on dressing K-pop’s most fashionable girl group, @blackpinkofficial. WWD’s @mistywhitesidell sat down with Won ahead of the group’s new album release, “Square Up,” which is out today. Read the full interview on WWD.com. #wwdfashion #blackpink_squareup #blackpink
For @ralphlauren, 2018 is a reason to celebrate: It marks the brand’s 50th year in business. Last year’s chauffeured show in Bedford, NY featuring his vintage car collection may have seemed like the big celebration to show-goers, but they were wrong. The official celebration will be held on September 7 during #NYFW. Get all the details on WWD.com. #wwdfashion (📷: @giovanni_giannoni_photo)