Anglo American’s market capitalization has fallen more than 25 percent since Carroll joined in 2007, and she had come under pressure from recent wildcat strikes in South Africa that dented the company’s platinum production. The South African strikes are part of the worst mining crisis since the end of apartheid.
Anglo American holds an 85 percent stake in De Beers, with the government of Botswana owning the remaining 15 percent stake. Nicky Oppenheimer had most recently served as chairman of De Beers, stepping down from that role in September.
Earlier this month Carroll said: “I look forward to leading the board and continuing to support the management of the world’s leading diamond company.”
Anglo American’s chairman, Sir John Parker, said on Friday that Carroll had a “transformational impact” on Anglo American. “She developed a clear strategy, based on a highly attractive range of core commodities, and created a strong and unified culture and a streamlined organization with a focus on operational performance,” he said.
Alberta Ferretti's "Rainbow Week" sweaters are back. The designer closed her #MFW show with a few day-of-the-week sweaters, which first debuted on the catwalk last January as part of the pre-fall 2017 collection. #wwdfashion (📷: @delphineachard)