LONDON — Alexander McQueen is set to expand his label into India. The brand will open six stores in the region over the next five years after signing a retail and distribution partnership with TSG International Marketing Pvt. Ltd.
A freestanding store will open in New Delhi this fall, followed by stores in Mumbai and Bangalore over the next two years, the company said Tuesday.
TSG will also hold the exclusive retail and distribution rights to the Alexander McQueen brand in India and will work with the brand to develop the business there.
"It is exciting to be entering this market where we have not previously been represented," said Jonathan Akeroyd, chief executive of Alexander McQueen. "It will be a new frontier to strengthen our growing portfolio of stores and wholesale accounts worldwide."
In addition to the stores in India, the Alexander McQueen brand, 51 percent of which is owned by the PPR-owned Gucci Group, will open a store in Dubai this fall and last month opened a franchised store in Bahrain's World Trade Center. McQueen himself owns the other 49 percent of his firm.
"Alexander McQueen is a brand perfect for the India of today, as both have a culture rich in contrasting...tradition and modernity, strength and femininity," said Priya Sachdev Chatwal, chief operating officer and creative director of TSG.
"We truly look forward to this partnership and feel it is a tremendous complement to our existing brands," added Charu Sachdev, chief executive of TSG.
TSG belongs to the Sachdev Group, a New Delhi-based company which manages and operates luxury brands in India, including Moschino, Lanvin, Alberta Ferretti and McQueen's fellow Gucci Group stablemate Stella McCartney.
@kith is moving into children’s. The men’s and women’s streetwear brand has launched Kidset, a Kith kids line located in New York at 64 Bleecker Street. The line includes mini versions of staple Kith pieces like the Astor bomber jacket and the Kith box logo sweatshirts, along with a wall that can display up to 120 pairs of shoes from @adidas, @newbalance, @timberland and more. #wwdfashion
“I just wanted to create this fully rounded character, but I do think what excited me most was just the opportunity to give a group of people representation that I feel needs it. I like to do characters in projects that stand for something and Karolina definitely does, so that was really exciting to me,” @ginnygardner says of her new role in @hulu’s “The Runaways.” Gardner plays Karolina Dean, a queer superhero, which is a rarity for @marvel. Read more about Gardner’s character on WWD.com #wwdeye (📷: @dandoperalski)
@heriethpaul and @gracebol have a moment on the @victoriassecret fashion show 2017. See every look from the runway on WWD.com. Link in bio. (📷: @giovanni_giannoni_photo) #wwdfashion #victoriassecret #VSFashionShow
“Azzedine has been one of the biggest influences in my life. He has always been such a strong, loving, fatherly figure to me. I call him Papa. His designs are indescribably unique, they are pieces of art. He knew how to make the female form look its loveliest. I have so many memories of him; my favorite might be during my first show with him in Paris. He liked me and he wanted to help me get more work. He called all his friends at Kenzo and Comme des Garcons, and asked them to book me. They said, ‘But she can’t walk!’ And he said, ‘but she has such a great ass!' His friendship and support has been the great privilege of my career. I can't imagine life without him. Repose en paix mon Papa.” - @stephanieseymour tells @wwd. #wwdfashion (📷: @steveeichner) #alaia #azzedinealaia
Azzedine Alaïa, flanked by two of his closest friends, models Stephanie Seymour and Naomi Campbell.
He designed Seymour’s dress for her 1995 wedding to Peter Brant, and treated Campbell (who famously called him Papa), like a daughter. For more on the legendary designer, tap the link in bio. #wwdfashion #alaia #azzedinealaia