The Justice Department has charged 11 people with the theft of more than 40 million payment card numbers from retailers including TJX Cos., DSW Inc. and Forever 21. The department’s investigation revealed an international operation of enormous scope and complexity tying together data security breaches at nine U.S. retailers that were previously thought to be unrelated.
The alleged perpetrators were charged on Tuesday with fraud, identity theft and conspiracy in federal courts in Boston and San Diego.
According to indictments returned by federal grand juries in the two cities, the conspirators obtained the numbers by hacking into the wireless computer networks of various U.S. retailers and installing a type of software known as a packet sniffer to capture consumers’ data.
“So far as we know, this is the single largest and most complex identity theft case ever charged in this country,” said Attorney General Michael Mukasey in Boston. “They used sophisticated computer hacking techniques, breaching security systems and installing programs that gathered enormous quantities of personal financial data, which they then allegedly sold to others or used themselves. And, in total, they caused widespread losses by banks, retailers and consumers.”
The ring targeted a wide range of retailers, including BJ’s Wholesale Club Inc., OfficeMax, Boston Market, Barnes & Noble and Sports Authority, as well as TJX, Forever 21 and DSW. The TJX incident, which the company acknowledged in January 2007, was the largest. It compromised information relating to 45.7 million credit and debit cards as well as the driver’s licenses and, in some cases, social security numbers of as many as 450,000 customers who returned items without a receipt, TJX said.
The 11 people indicted include three U.S. citizens and citizens of at least four other countries in Europe and Asia. Miami resident Albert Gonzalez is alleged to be the plot’s mastermind.
According to the indictment returned Tuesday in Boston, Gonzalez had been arrested by the Secret Service in 2003 for access device fraud and subsequently worked as a confidential informant. His alleged further criminal activity was discovered later.
Of the suspects charged Tuesday, only three are in custody and only one, Gonzalez, is in U.S. custody. According to the Department of Justice, officials in Turkey are holding Maksym Yastremskiy of Ukraine and officials in Germany are holding Aleksandr Suvorov of Estonia. Both men face pending extradition proceedings. The U.S. charged all three in a related indictment in federal court in New York in May alleging that they stole card numbers from the Dave & Buster’s restaurant chain using sniffer software.
Gonzalez and alleged conspirators Christopher Scott and Damon Patrick Toey located retailers’ wireless networks by driving by with a laptop with Wi-Fi installed, according to the Boston indictment issued Tuesday. The group then hacked into the networks and installed sniffer software to collect payment card numbers as well as password and account information as the data was passing through the retailers’ networks. Some of the data were sold to other criminals in the U.S. and in Eastern Europe. The conspirators also withdrew tens of thousands of dollars at a time from ATMs using blank cards in whose magnetic strips they encoded stolen card numbers. They concealed fraudulent earnings by using anonymous Internet-based currencies and Eastern European bank accounts, the Justice Department alleged.
The San Diego indictments, brought after a three-year investigation by the Secret Service, charge Yastremskiy, Suvorov, Hung-Ming Chiu and Zhi Zhi Wang of China and an unidentified person known only by the Internet handle “Delpiero” with conspiracy, trafficking and identity theft for their alleged roles in selling the credit card data Gonzalez obtained. Sergey Pavolvich of Belarus and Dzmitry Burak and Sergey Storchak, both of Ukraine, were charged with conspiracy to traffic in unauthorized devices.
Breaking News: @louisvuitton's men's artistic director @mrkimjones is leaving the French fashion house after nearly 7 years. Jones joined Louis Vuitton in 2011, following a three year tenure as creative director of British luxury goods brand Alfred Dunhill. Jones is to exit Louis Vuitton after showing his fall 2018 collection for the brand in Paris on Thursday. Read the full exclusive story on WWD.com. Link in bio. #wwdnews #wwdfashion
For men’s fall 2018, @giuseppezanotti drew on elements from streetwear, sport, biker, combat and rock ‘n’ roll. Pictured here are a pair of shoes from the collection, featuring zippers, rhinestones, and silver hardware. Head to WWD.com to see a roundup of the accessories from Milan’s men’s fall 2018 shows. #wwdfashion (📷: Andrea Delb)
To celebrate the 25th anniversary of @ralphlauren’s snowboarding collection, the brand is mining its archives. The iconic brand is reintroducing vintage styles and dropping new designs for a color capsule that will be available in Ralph Lauren stores and @openingceremony on January 25. The capsule will consist of 10 pieces, including the Snow Beach Pullover, pictured here, which is a collector’s item that rapper Raekwon wore in Wu-Tang Clan’s “Can It Be All So Simple” video. #wwdfashion (📷: Tom Gould)
For @rochasofficial’s pre-fall 2018 collection, creative director Alessandro Dell’Acqua channeled the sophisticated and intriguing Catherine Denevue in the film “Belle de Jour.” Polished collarless coats, midi skirts, suits and ’60s graphic motifs were all featured in the collection, adding a sense of discreet luxury. See the rest of the photos on WWD.com #wwdfashion
“We tried to produce clothing of that couture quality, but the most daunting part was that we only had a matter of days [to do it],” said costume designer Lou Eyrich, who recreated Gianni Versace’s iconic looks for @americancrimestoryfx. Eyrich searched online retailers and vintage shops for original pieces from the design house and for @penelopecruzoficial, who plays Donatella Versace. Head to WWD.com to read how she created the Versace world. #wwdfashion
Only three months after her stellar debut catwalk season, @kaiagerber has inked her first big design collaboration –– with @karllagerfeld. The collection blends Lagerfeld’s Parisian chic aesthetic and the model’s signature West Coast casual style via RTW, accessories, footwear and more. The #KarlLagerfeldxKaia collection will launch in September with a series of events. Get all the details on WWD.com. #wwdnews #wwdfashion
Harrods plans to remove the famous statue of Princess Diana and Dodi Al Fayed from the bottom of the Egyptian escalators and hand it back to Mohamed Al-Fayed. “We are very proud to have played our role in celebrating the lives of Diana, Princess of Wales and Dodi Al Fayed at Harrods and to have welcomed people from around the world to visit the memorial for the past 20 years,” said Michael Ward, Harrods managing director. “With the announcement of the new official memorial statue to Diana, Princess of Wales at Kensington Palace, we feel that the time is right to return this memorial to Mr. Al Fayed and for the public to be invited to pay their respects at the palace.” More on the news, with reporting by @loreleimarfil, at WWD.com. #wwdnews