MILAN — Domenico Dolce and Stefano Gabbana are to stand trial in court on Dec. 3.
Because they are charged with omitted and unfaithful earnings declaration, they are not to go through a preliminary hearing. The designers were originally absolved of the claims by a lower court in April 2011, but the Italian Supreme Court in November overturned that decision.
In February, the court laid out the reasons why it decided to reopen the case, alleging Dolce and Gabbana and several business associates evaded taxes. The Supreme Court said tax avoidance, or tax mitigation, on an earnings declaration is a criminal offense under the law. This is a major ruling since tax avoidance — which allows taxpayers to take advantage of certain benefits, such as creating a separate legal entity to which one’s property is donated, for example — previously was not considered a crime.
The designers did not respond to a request for comment at press time Monday.
The investigations began in 2008, initiated by the Guardia di Finanza, an Italian police force under the authority of the national minister of economy and finance. Both designers were charged with alleged tax evasion to the tune of 416 million euros, or $538.1 million at current exchange, related to the 2004 sale of the Dolce & Gabbana and D&G brands to the designers’ Luxembourg-based holding company, Gado Srl. The Italian tax police reportedly consider Gado essentially a legal entity used to avoid higher corporate taxes in Italy.
A separate criminal probe into supposed tax irregularities at the Dolce & Gabbana Group was part of the case dismissed in April. Those accusations address unpaid taxes of 200 million euros, or $258.7 million.
Giuseppe Bana, lawyer for the designers’ accountant Luciano Patelli, told WWD on Monday that he was “extremely optimistic” about the outcome of the trial, but said more details were going to be made available the following day.
A legal source said the trial will not allow for plea bargaining or the request for shortened or other alternative proceedings.
“I am optimistic and I consider them innocent until proven guilty,” said Armando Branchini, deputy chairman of Milan consultancy InterCorporate. “It is easier to make headlines with an important and world famous name. Yes, it’s true that the fight against tax evasion is more severe now, but this seems a bit excessive.”
The designers have always denied any wrongdoing and in an interview with WWD in December, they expressed clear consciences and a lack of bitterness, albeit disappointment, over their battle with Italian authorities concerning the alleged tax evasion.
In April 2011, deeming there was no foundation for a trial, Judge Simone Luerti dismissed the charges against Dolce and Gabbana and five other defendants, including Dolce’s brother and board member, Alfonso Dolce, and managing director and board member Cristiana Ruella. However, Milan-based prosecutor Laura Pedio appealed to the Supreme Court, which issued its ruling after about six months.
Conviction of national income tax evasion can carry up to a three-year prison sentence, or a fine of up to 1 million euros, or $1.3 million at current exchange.
Breaking News: @louisvuitton's men's artistic director @mrkimjones is leaving the French fashion house after nearly 7 years. Jones joined Louis Vuitton in 2011, following a three year tenure as creative director of British luxury goods brand Alfred Dunhill. Jones is to exit Louis Vuitton after showing his fall 2018 collection for the brand in Paris on Thursday. Read the full exclusive story on WWD.com. Link in bio. #wwdnews #wwdfashion
For men’s fall 2018, @giuseppezanotti drew on elements from streetwear, sport, biker, combat and rock ‘n’ roll. Pictured here are a pair of shoes from the collection, featuring zippers, rhinestones, and silver hardware. Head to WWD.com to see a roundup of the accessories from Milan’s men’s fall 2018 shows. #wwdfashion (📷: Andrea Delb)
To celebrate the 25th anniversary of @ralphlauren’s snowboarding collection, the brand is mining its archives. The iconic brand is reintroducing vintage styles and dropping new designs for a color capsule that will be available in Ralph Lauren stores and @openingceremony on January 25. The capsule will consist of 10 pieces, including the Snow Beach Pullover, pictured here, which is a collector’s item that rapper Raekwon wore in Wu-Tang Clan’s “Can It Be All So Simple” video. #wwdfashion (📷: Tom Gould)
For @rochasofficial’s pre-fall 2018 collection, creative director Alessandro Dell’Acqua channeled the sophisticated and intriguing Catherine Denevue in the film “Belle de Jour.” Polished collarless coats, midi skirts, suits and ’60s graphic motifs were all featured in the collection, adding a sense of discreet luxury. See the rest of the photos on WWD.com #wwdfashion
“We tried to produce clothing of that couture quality, but the most daunting part was that we only had a matter of days [to do it],” said costume designer Lou Eyrich, who recreated Gianni Versace’s iconic looks for @americancrimestoryfx. Eyrich searched online retailers and vintage shops for original pieces from the design house and for @penelopecruzoficial, who plays Donatella Versace. Head to WWD.com to read how she created the Versace world. #wwdfashion
Only three months after her stellar debut catwalk season, @kaiagerber has inked her first big design collaboration –– with @karllagerfeld. The collection blends Lagerfeld’s Parisian chic aesthetic and the model’s signature West Coast casual style via RTW, accessories, footwear and more. The #KarlLagerfeldxKaia collection will launch in September with a series of events. Get all the details on WWD.com. #wwdnews #wwdfashion
Harrods plans to remove the famous statue of Princess Diana and Dodi Al Fayed from the bottom of the Egyptian escalators and hand it back to Mohamed Al-Fayed. “We are very proud to have played our role in celebrating the lives of Diana, Princess of Wales and Dodi Al Fayed at Harrods and to have welcomed people from around the world to visit the memorial for the past 20 years,” said Michael Ward, Harrods managing director. “With the announcement of the new official memorial statue to Diana, Princess of Wales at Kensington Palace, we feel that the time is right to return this memorial to Mr. Al Fayed and for the public to be invited to pay their respects at the palace.” More on the news, with reporting by @loreleimarfil, at WWD.com. #wwdnews