BOSTON — Wal-Mart Stores Inc. used its formidable skills at execution Thursday to launch a major public relations effort aimed at refuting its opponents.
In full-page advertisements signed by chief executive officer H. Lee Scott that ran in more than 100 U.S. newspapers, the company said: “When special-interest groups and critics spread misinformation about Wal-Mart, the public deserves to hear the truth. In other words, everyone is entitled to their own opinions about our company, but they are not entitled to make up their own facts.”
The world’s biggest retailer, facing the largest-ever gender discrimination class-action case and a barrage of other litigation, has come under fire for being a low-wage employer that wreaks havoc on communities in which it opens stores.
As the ads appeared yesterday, Scott and other top executives appeared on a blitz of television programs and fanned out for interviews in which they touted upbeat company statistics on wages, benefits and employment opportunities. Wal-Mart has previously publicized this data, but never with as much financial and executive clout.
In fact, Scott, who has spent his career shunning the spotlight, appeared on ABC’S “Good Morning America” as well as on CNBC, CNN and Fox News, and spoke with a handful of print outlets. “We’re not going to sit in Bentonville, [Ark.], hoping these urban myths go away,” Scott said on CNBC. “We’re going to get out and tell our story.”
Earlier, chief financial officer Tom Schoewe, speaking to a CNBC reporter, hinted at the resistance the retailer has faced in building new stores in cities such as Inglewood, Calif., which rejected a Wal-Mart in April. “We need to put stores and clubs all around the country, so the decision-makers need to know the facts, not lies,” he said.
The company also started a new Web site, walmartfacts.com, to support its contentions. “We want to make sure we are the ones controlling what is said about Wal-Mart,” said a company spokeswoman Carol Schumacher. She would not disclose how much the retailer spent on the initiative, how long it took to plan or what is next.“We don’t want to provide any of our plans because that would be tipping off too many people,” she said. “We can say that in 2005, we’re going to be aggressive in getting our messages out.”
Gary Ruffing, retail director with consultant BBK Ltd., estimated the ads alone rang in at about $1 million.
Even if Wal-Mart spent twice that for Thursday’s blitz, it’s still spare change for the $256 billion retailer. “It’s not as expensive as going to court and fighting legal battles and having people not understand what you stand for,” Ruffing said.
Not everyone was swayed by Wal-Mart’s appeal.
Greg Denier, spokesman for the Union of Food and Commercial Workers, said Wal-Mart’s push was “a defensive reaction using an ad campaign to cover the reality of Wal-Mart’s operations.” He said several of the retailer’s claims were misleading, including one that 74 percent of hourly associates work full-time. Wal-Mart defines full-time as 32, not 40, hours per week, he said.
Wal-Mart’s ads ran in The Wall Street Journal and USA Today, as well as publications targeting minorities such as New York’s Spanish language El Diario/La Prensa.
“We really are trying to reach not only the general public, but also our associates because they have often asked us to step up and correct some of the messages out there,” Schumacher said.
Thursday morning, the retailer’s 1.2 million domestic associates received a letter from Scott. In the stores, Wal-Mart television played a broadcast of Scott explaining the company’s decision to defend its record.
Breaking News: @louisvuitton's men's artistic director @mrkimjones is leaving the French fashion house after nearly 7 years. Jones joined Louis Vuitton in 2011, following a three year tenure as creative director of British luxury goods brand Alfred Dunhill. Jones is to exit Louis Vuitton after showing his fall 2018 collection for the brand in Paris on Thursday. Read the full exclusive story on WWD.com. Link in bio. #wwdnews #wwdfashion
For men’s fall 2018, @giuseppezanotti drew on elements from streetwear, sport, biker, combat and rock ‘n’ roll. Pictured here are a pair of shoes from the collection, featuring zippers, rhinestones, and silver hardware. Head to WWD.com to see a roundup of the accessories from Milan’s men’s fall 2018 shows. #wwdfashion (📷: Andrea Delb)
To celebrate the 25th anniversary of @ralphlauren’s snowboarding collection, the brand is mining its archives. The iconic brand is reintroducing vintage styles and dropping new designs for a color capsule that will be available in Ralph Lauren stores and @openingceremony on January 25. The capsule will consist of 10 pieces, including the Snow Beach Pullover, pictured here, which is a collector’s item that rapper Raekwon wore in Wu-Tang Clan’s “Can It Be All So Simple” video. #wwdfashion (📷: Tom Gould)
For @rochasofficial’s pre-fall 2018 collection, creative director Alessandro Dell’Acqua channeled the sophisticated and intriguing Catherine Denevue in the film “Belle de Jour.” Polished collarless coats, midi skirts, suits and ’60s graphic motifs were all featured in the collection, adding a sense of discreet luxury. See the rest of the photos on WWD.com #wwdfashion
“We tried to produce clothing of that couture quality, but the most daunting part was that we only had a matter of days [to do it],” said costume designer Lou Eyrich, who recreated Gianni Versace’s iconic looks for @americancrimestoryfx. Eyrich searched online retailers and vintage shops for original pieces from the design house and for @penelopecruzoficial, who plays Donatella Versace. Head to WWD.com to read how she created the Versace world. #wwdfashion
Only three months after her stellar debut catwalk season, @kaiagerber has inked her first big design collaboration –– with @karllagerfeld. The collection blends Lagerfeld’s Parisian chic aesthetic and the model’s signature West Coast casual style via RTW, accessories, footwear and more. The #KarlLagerfeldxKaia collection will launch in September with a series of events. Get all the details on WWD.com. #wwdnews #wwdfashion
Harrods plans to remove the famous statue of Princess Diana and Dodi Al Fayed from the bottom of the Egyptian escalators and hand it back to Mohamed Al-Fayed. “We are very proud to have played our role in celebrating the lives of Diana, Princess of Wales and Dodi Al Fayed at Harrods and to have welcomed people from around the world to visit the memorial for the past 20 years,” said Michael Ward, Harrods managing director. “With the announcement of the new official memorial statue to Diana, Princess of Wales at Kensington Palace, we feel that the time is right to return this memorial to Mr. Al Fayed and for the public to be invited to pay their respects at the palace.” More on the news, with reporting by @loreleimarfil, at WWD.com. #wwdnews