Some 14 companies or individuals were recognized in the fields of apparel, accessories, retail, beauty and interior design at Fashion Group International of Chicago’s fifth annual Rising Stars awards. The event was held last month at the city’s Ivy Room. The award winners in their respective categories were:
• DieterBennet, a collaboration of Dieter Kirkwood and Bennet Cousins, two former Columbia College students, who showed their tailored, minimalistic line at New York Fashion Week.
• Blake Standard, a line of casual women’s sportswear designed by Pierre Colorado, former senior designer for Abercrombie & Fitch. The line is available at Neiman Marcus Cusp locations.
• 5P1T, a new label referencing the wardrobe staples — five-pocket jeans and T-shirts. Run by Richard Morse and Daryl Sneed, the line will be sold at Macy’s on State Street this fall.
• Diego Rocha Designs, a handbag line known for its use and mixing of exotic skins. Designed by Diego Rocha, the handbags are available at Macy’s on State Street.
• Jill Alberts, a jewelry designer specializing in vintage-inspired pieces sold at Bergdorf Goodman among other stores.
• Tivi, an accessory line from Paul Lewin and Ryan Wither that focuses on fusing stainless steel, leather and wood in jewelry, handbags and other items.
• Ashley Sierra, creative director and head of styling for Michael Anthony Salon Spa.
• Colorlab Cosmetics, a custom-blend cosmetics line founded by Mary Swaab that is available at Macy’s on State Street.
• Silken Tent, a suburban Glenview, Ill., spa specializing in eco-friendly products and services. Retail:
• Akira, a collection of six Chicago boutiques that incorporate private label fast fashions with designer dresses and footwear.
• Primitive, a retail space combining furniture, artifacts, textiles, jewelry and clothing.
• She Boutique, a women’s specialty store featuring West Coast and European fashions operating both city and suburban Highland Park locations.
• Matt Lorenz, an interior designer and winner of Bravo’s “Top Design” last year.
• Jill Salisbury, a local pioneer in green design and founder and chief designer of el: Environmental Language.
• Simeone Deary Design Group, an interior design firm with work ranging from the Stadium Club at Wrigley Field to Spiaggia restaurant on Michigan Avenue.
@kith is moving into children’s. The men’s and women’s streetwear brand has launched Kidset, a Kith kids line located in New York at 64 Bleecker Street. The line includes mini versions of staple Kith pieces like the Astor bomber jacket and the Kith box logo sweatshirts, along with a wall that can display up to 120 pairs of shoes from @adidas, @newbalance, @timberland and more. #wwdfashion
“I just wanted to create this fully rounded character, but I do think what excited me most was just the opportunity to give a group of people representation that I feel needs it. I like to do characters in projects that stand for something and Karolina definitely does, so that was really exciting to me,” @ginnygardner says of her new role in @hulu’s “The Runaways.” Gardner plays Karolina Dean, a queer superhero, which is a rarity for @marvel. Read more about Gardner’s character on WWD.com #wwdeye (📷: @dandoperalski)
@heriethpaul and @gracebol have a moment on the @victoriassecret fashion show 2017. See every look from the runway on WWD.com. Link in bio. (📷: @giovanni_giannoni_photo) #wwdfashion #victoriassecret #VSFashionShow
“Azzedine has been one of the biggest influences in my life. He has always been such a strong, loving, fatherly figure to me. I call him Papa. His designs are indescribably unique, they are pieces of art. He knew how to make the female form look its loveliest. I have so many memories of him; my favorite might be during my first show with him in Paris. He liked me and he wanted to help me get more work. He called all his friends at Kenzo and Comme des Garcons, and asked them to book me. They said, ‘But she can’t walk!’ And he said, ‘but she has such a great ass!' His friendship and support has been the great privilege of my career. I can't imagine life without him. Repose en paix mon Papa.” - @stephanieseymour tells @wwd. #wwdfashion (📷: @steveeichner) #alaia #azzedinealaia
Azzedine Alaïa, flanked by two of his closest friends, models Stephanie Seymour and Naomi Campbell.
He designed Seymour’s dress for her 1995 wedding to Peter Brant, and treated Campbell (who famously called him Papa), like a daughter. For more on the legendary designer, tap the link in bio. #wwdfashion #alaia #azzedinealaia