Some 14 companies or individuals were recognized in the fields of apparel, accessories, retail, beauty and interior design at Fashion Group International of Chicago’s fifth annual Rising Stars awards. The event was held last month at the city’s Ivy Room. The award winners in their respective categories were:
• DieterBennet, a collaboration of Dieter Kirkwood and Bennet Cousins, two former Columbia College students, who showed their tailored, minimalistic line at New York Fashion Week.
• Blake Standard, a line of casual women’s sportswear designed by Pierre Colorado, former senior designer for Abercrombie & Fitch. The line is available at Neiman Marcus Cusp locations.
• 5P1T, a new label referencing the wardrobe staples — five-pocket jeans and T-shirts. Run by Richard Morse and Daryl Sneed, the line will be sold at Macy’s on State Street this fall.
• Diego Rocha Designs, a handbag line known for its use and mixing of exotic skins. Designed by Diego Rocha, the handbags are available at Macy’s on State Street.
• Jill Alberts, a jewelry designer specializing in vintage-inspired pieces sold at Bergdorf Goodman among other stores.
• Tivi, an accessory line from Paul Lewin and Ryan Wither that focuses on fusing stainless steel, leather and wood in jewelry, handbags and other items.
• Ashley Sierra, creative director and head of styling for Michael Anthony Salon Spa.
• Colorlab Cosmetics, a custom-blend cosmetics line founded by Mary Swaab that is available at Macy’s on State Street.
• Silken Tent, a suburban Glenview, Ill., spa specializing in eco-friendly products and services. Retail:
• Akira, a collection of six Chicago boutiques that incorporate private label fast fashions with designer dresses and footwear.
• Primitive, a retail space combining furniture, artifacts, textiles, jewelry and clothing.
• She Boutique, a women’s specialty store featuring West Coast and European fashions operating both city and suburban Highland Park locations.
• Matt Lorenz, an interior designer and winner of Bravo’s “Top Design” last year.
• Jill Salisbury, a local pioneer in green design and founder and chief designer of el: Environmental Language.
• Simeone Deary Design Group, an interior design firm with work ranging from the Stadium Club at Wrigley Field to Spiaggia restaurant on Michigan Avenue.
“These collections continue to build on that vision, empowering differently abled adults to express themselves through fashion,” said @tommyhilfiger of his line of adaptive apparel, which launches today. The line consists of 37 men’s and 34 women’s styles based upon the pieces from the spring Tommy Hilfiger sportswear collection. #wwdnews
“Stranger Things” is getting a new cast member for season 2. Meet @sadiesink_, the 15-year-old who will be joining the Netflix series for its new season. You may recognize her from “The Glass Castle” with Brie Larson and Woody Harrelson, but the Texas native’s next role goes in an entirely different direction. She describes her character, Max, as “a rough and tumble skater girl [who] becomes friends with the boys at school.” The second season debuts on October 27. (📷: @jgreenery) #wwdeye
Amid the Harvey Weinstein controversy, there’s another sector that’s being put under the spotlight for sexual abuse: the modeling industry. While rumors about abuse and sexual harassment of female and male models — and the photographers, agents and others who perpetrated it — have circulated within the fashion world for years, model @cameronrussell started posting stories from models on Instagram last week about abusive situations they’ve encountered — from sexual harassment and molestation to attempted rape. Over 75 have weighed in so far. Read more on WWD.com. Link in bio. #wwdnews
To celebrate its 16th anniversary, @dylanscandybar tapped designers and celebrities to create mosaics out of candy. The mosaics will be auctioned off to support the philanthropic cause of each participant’s choice. Pictured here is the mural created by @aliceandolivia's Stacey Bendet. For a first look at some of the other artwork being unveiled tonight, go to WWD.com. #wwdeye
The annual Veuve Clicquot Polo Classic in Pacific Palisades this weekend drew Kate Hudson, Tracee Ellis Ross, Laura Dern and more. See pictures of the star-studded event on WWD.com. (📷: @chelsealaurenla) #wwdeye
In his new book “Hollywood Royale,” Andy Warhol’s Protégé Matthew Rolston celebrates the Eighties revival of Hollywood glamour. Featuring more than 100 portraits taken by Rolston from 1977 to 1993, the book contains photos of icons like Michael Jackson, Cyndi Lauper, and @drewbarrymore, pictured here in 1991. “Hollywood Royale,” out today, will be accompanied by an exhibition opening at Los Angeles’ Fahey/Klein Gallery on March 1. #wwdeye
"Nowadays when life is not so happy with everything going on in the world, I think people come to me for a little bit of whimsy and color and fun." - Designer Rebecca De Ravenel on her cult-favorite jewelry line. (📸 : @vsteves) #wwd40
“Everyone is talking about how the retail industry is struggling, but I think it’s an incredible time because brands who are doing something different and innovative are setting themselves up for the future,” said @adamgoldston, who founded the luxury athletic brand @apl with his brother @ryangoldsten. The Goldston’s are part of WWD’s 40 under 40: a group of industry notables. See the rest of the list on WWD.com. (📷: @vsteves) #wwd40
@eyeswoon blogger Athena Calderone debuted her first-ever cookbook, “Cook Beautiful,” which is heavily centered on the presentation and visual expression of food. Pictured here are her miso glazed carrots from the book. Get the recipe on WWD.com. (📷: @johnny_miller_) #wwdeye