(1) RUNWAY HIGHLIGHTS Sometimes viewing clothing on hangers in a booth is insufficient — and WWDMAGIC is well aware of that.
Organizers will stage fashion shows in the North Hall each day of the trade show. James Campbell, who produces contemporary fashion shows for Directives West, is spearheading the WWDMAGIC fashion shows. Every day he will focus on a trend, which could range from the season’s must-have pieces to key colors.
The shows will feature 60 to 100 looks from brands exhibiting in the North Hall, among them Andrew Marc, Eileen Fisher, Laundry by Shelli Segal, Johnny Was, Gorski Group and Jane Post. — Rachel Brown
(2) BUYERS GET A HAL PASS While all buyers hope that the items they order at the shows will translate into hits of the sort featured in fashion magazines, the whims of fashion and its customers are often hard to predict.
InStyle’s fashion director Hal Rubenstein hopes to take away some of the guesswork for buyers by presenting a seminar of his top picks across all categories of WWDMAGIC on Feb. 20 at 1 p.m. in the Buyer’s Suite in the North Hall. Rubenstein’s next stop will be Hollywood for Oscar Week festivities, where some new red-carpet trends will soon be born. — Marcy Medina RELATED STORY: The Las Vegas Scene >>
(3) IN THE BLOGOSPHERE Fifteen international bloggers are expected at the WWDMAGIC show this year, and the various MAGIC shows at Las Vegas Convention Center will feature blogger lounges throughout, including the launch of Social House on the Concourse, site of daily discovery sessions where bloggers will present their latest showroom finds, trends and social media panels. At a special Tokyo Pop panel, Misha Janette, Plumb designer and blogger at TokyoFashionDiaries.com, and Mai Ann Nguyen-Miyoshi, aka maisassygirl from “Just another Typical Night in Tokyo” (maisassygirl.blogspot.com), will speak about the influence of Japanese street style (Harajuku).
There will also be a DJ party Tuesday night from 5 p.m. to 7 p.m.
At Project at Mandalay Bay Convention Center, Blogger Project, curated by lifestyle blogger Marcus Troy, will provide live news from the show floor with key bloggers such as Slamxhype, Freshness, Nitrolicious, Lavish Livez, WRGMAG, William Yan, Por Homme, The Crosby Press, The Denim Guy and Highsnobette. Check magiconline.com for the latest times. — M.M. RELATED STORY: Las Vegas Preview, Hot Tickets >>
(4) CHANGES AT ENK When Magic and Project owner Advanstar Global LLC acquired ENK International LLC last November, there was never any doubt that ENK Vegas was in for some changes.
Now those changes are being implemented. ENK Vegas, which runs from Feb. 19 to 21, is relocating from Wynn Las Vegas to the Mandalay Bay Convention Center, where it will reside near Project. ENK Vegas is taking over the high-end contemporary women’s portion of Project, while Project will focus on men’s and dual-gender brands. Advanstar believes the moves will create a more efficient trade show experience. — R.B.
(5) STITCH IN TIME Stitch is weaving its way into the Las Vegas apparel trade show lineup.
That’s the name for the upgraded Moda Las Vegas, which trade show operator Business Journals Inc. decided to rebrand because it has expanded from its initial focus on women’s special-occasion dressing to encompass sportswear, better contemporary and lifestyle brands as well. Moda Las Vegas has also received a makeover in its transformation into Stitch, with fresh taupe carpeting, revamped lighting and white metal booths meant to give it a luxury feel.
New brands exhibiting at Stitch include Pologeorgis, Christie Brothers, Musi Furs and Komarov Black Label.
(6) HEART OF THE MATTER Save a trip to Paris and say bonjour in Las Vegas yet again to Heart of Prêt, an area dedicated to French brands at WWDMAGIC. In its fourth edition, Heart of Prêt will showcase 35 brands — more than in any previous season.
Among the brands are Lauren Vidal, Save The Queen, Rizal and Matti Mamane.
@serenawilliams, in @versace and a @bulgariofficial necklace, with @alexisohanian attending the #royalwedding at St. George’s Chapel. See all of the celebrities in attendance on WWD.com. #wwdeye #wwdfashion
The wait is over: Meghan Markle picks @givenchyofficial’s Clare Waight Keller for her wedding dress. Markle entered St. George’s Chapel in a Givenchy Haute Couture gown paired with Queen Mary’s Diamond Bandeau Tiara, loaned to her by The Queen. Read more on WWD.com - Link in bio. #wwdnews #wwdfashion #royalwedding