(1) RUNWAY HIGHLIGHTS Sometimes viewing clothing on hangers in a booth is insufficient — and WWDMAGIC is well aware of that.
Organizers will stage fashion shows in the North Hall each day of the trade show. James Campbell, who produces contemporary fashion shows for Directives West, is spearheading the WWDMAGIC fashion shows. Every day he will focus on a trend, which could range from the season’s must-have pieces to key colors.
The shows will feature 60 to 100 looks from brands exhibiting in the North Hall, among them Andrew Marc, Eileen Fisher, Laundry by Shelli Segal, Johnny Was, Gorski Group and Jane Post. — Rachel Brown
(2) BUYERS GET A HAL PASS While all buyers hope that the items they order at the shows will translate into hits of the sort featured in fashion magazines, the whims of fashion and its customers are often hard to predict.
InStyle’s fashion director Hal Rubenstein hopes to take away some of the guesswork for buyers by presenting a seminar of his top picks across all categories of WWDMAGIC on Feb. 20 at 1 p.m. in the Buyer’s Suite in the North Hall. Rubenstein’s next stop will be Hollywood for Oscar Week festivities, where some new red-carpet trends will soon be born. — Marcy Medina RELATED STORY: The Las Vegas Scene >>
(3) IN THE BLOGOSPHERE Fifteen international bloggers are expected at the WWDMAGIC show this year, and the various MAGIC shows at Las Vegas Convention Center will feature blogger lounges throughout, including the launch of Social House on the Concourse, site of daily discovery sessions where bloggers will present their latest showroom finds, trends and social media panels. At a special Tokyo Pop panel, Misha Janette, Plumb designer and blogger at TokyoFashionDiaries.com, and Mai Ann Nguyen-Miyoshi, aka maisassygirl from “Just another Typical Night in Tokyo” (maisassygirl.blogspot.com), will speak about the influence of Japanese street style (Harajuku).
There will also be a DJ party Tuesday night from 5 p.m. to 7 p.m.
At Project at Mandalay Bay Convention Center, Blogger Project, curated by lifestyle blogger Marcus Troy, will provide live news from the show floor with key bloggers such as Slamxhype, Freshness, Nitrolicious, Lavish Livez, WRGMAG, William Yan, Por Homme, The Crosby Press, The Denim Guy and Highsnobette. Check magiconline.com for the latest times. — M.M. RELATED STORY: Las Vegas Preview, Hot Tickets >>
(4) CHANGES AT ENK When Magic and Project owner Advanstar Global LLC acquired ENK International LLC last November, there was never any doubt that ENK Vegas was in for some changes.
Now those changes are being implemented. ENK Vegas, which runs from Feb. 19 to 21, is relocating from Wynn Las Vegas to the Mandalay Bay Convention Center, where it will reside near Project. ENK Vegas is taking over the high-end contemporary women’s portion of Project, while Project will focus on men’s and dual-gender brands. Advanstar believes the moves will create a more efficient trade show experience. — R.B.
(5) STITCH IN TIME Stitch is weaving its way into the Las Vegas apparel trade show lineup.
That’s the name for the upgraded Moda Las Vegas, which trade show operator Business Journals Inc. decided to rebrand because it has expanded from its initial focus on women’s special-occasion dressing to encompass sportswear, better contemporary and lifestyle brands as well. Moda Las Vegas has also received a makeover in its transformation into Stitch, with fresh taupe carpeting, revamped lighting and white metal booths meant to give it a luxury feel.
New brands exhibiting at Stitch include Pologeorgis, Christie Brothers, Musi Furs and Komarov Black Label.
(6) HEART OF THE MATTER Save a trip to Paris and say bonjour in Las Vegas yet again to Heart of Prêt, an area dedicated to French brands at WWDMAGIC. In its fourth edition, Heart of Prêt will showcase 35 brands — more than in any previous season.
Among the brands are Lauren Vidal, Save The Queen, Rizal and Matti Mamane.
“These collections continue to build on that vision, empowering differently abled adults to express themselves through fashion,” said @tommyhilfiger of his line of adaptive apparel, which launches today. The line consists of 37 men’s and 34 women’s styles based upon the pieces from the spring Tommy Hilfiger sportswear collection. #wwdnews
“Stranger Things” is getting a new cast member for season 2. Meet @sadiesink_, the 15-year-old who will be joining the Netflix series for its new season. You may recognize her from “The Glass Castle” with Brie Larson and Woody Harrelson, but the Texas native’s next role goes in an entirely different direction. She describes her character, Max, as “a rough and tumble skater girl [who] becomes friends with the boys at school.” The second season debuts on October 27. (📷: @jgreenery) #wwdeye
Amid the Harvey Weinstein controversy, there’s another sector that’s being put under the spotlight for sexual abuse: the modeling industry. While rumors about abuse and sexual harassment of female and male models — and the photographers, agents and others who perpetrated it — have circulated within the fashion world for years, model @cameronrussell started posting stories from models on Instagram last week about abusive situations they’ve encountered — from sexual harassment and molestation to attempted rape. Over 75 have weighed in so far. Read more on WWD.com. Link in bio. #wwdnews
To celebrate its 16th anniversary, @dylanscandybar tapped designers and celebrities to create mosaics out of candy. The mosaics will be auctioned off to support the philanthropic cause of each participant’s choice. Pictured here is the mural created by @aliceandolivia's Stacey Bendet. For a first look at some of the other artwork being unveiled tonight, go to WWD.com. #wwdeye
The annual Veuve Clicquot Polo Classic in Pacific Palisades this weekend drew Kate Hudson, Tracee Ellis Ross, Laura Dern and more. See pictures of the star-studded event on WWD.com. (📷: @chelsealaurenla) #wwdeye
In his new book “Hollywood Royale,” Andy Warhol’s Protégé Matthew Rolston celebrates the Eighties revival of Hollywood glamour. Featuring more than 100 portraits taken by Rolston from 1977 to 1993, the book contains photos of icons like Michael Jackson, Cyndi Lauper, and @drewbarrymore, pictured here in 1991. “Hollywood Royale,” out today, will be accompanied by an exhibition opening at Los Angeles’ Fahey/Klein Gallery on March 1. #wwdeye
"Nowadays when life is not so happy with everything going on in the world, I think people come to me for a little bit of whimsy and color and fun." - Designer Rebecca De Ravenel on her cult-favorite jewelry line. (📸 : @vsteves) #wwd40
“Everyone is talking about how the retail industry is struggling, but I think it’s an incredible time because brands who are doing something different and innovative are setting themselves up for the future,” said @adamgoldston, who founded the luxury athletic brand @apl with his brother @ryangoldsten. The Goldston’s are part of WWD’s 40 under 40: a group of industry notables. See the rest of the list on WWD.com. (📷: @vsteves) #wwd40
@eyeswoon blogger Athena Calderone debuted her first-ever cookbook, “Cook Beautiful,” which is heavily centered on the presentation and visual expression of food. Pictured here are her miso glazed carrots from the book. Get the recipe on WWD.com. (📷: @johnny_miller_) #wwdeye