ALL IN VANITY: It seems hard to believe, but Vanity Fair just may have shuffled its cover subjects once again, after making an unsuccessful play for Madonna and bumping Scarlett Johanssen for Martha Stewart for August.
In recent weeks, several reports, including one in WWD, have had Paris Hilton decorating Vanity Fair’s September issue. (Beyoncé Knowles, who had been shot for the issue, was moved to a possible spring date, along with her movie, “The Pink Panther.”) Hilton was evidently booked, shot and profiled for September, but now it seems her cover may have to wait. Said to be replacing her is Jennifer Aniston, who was slated for the magazine’s October issue to promote her movie, “Derailed,” scheduled for release in October. A Vanity Fair spokeswoman declined to comment, but the story circulating is that too many details from the Aniston profile had already leaked out in the press, so editors decided to fast-track the piece and save Hilton for later in the fall.
Back in June, Page Six reported that Aniston, in her interview with Vanity Fair’s Leslie Bennetts, had confirmed that Brad Pitt had an extramarital affair with Angelina Jolie.
Hilton is a slightly more evergreen cover subject for VF, since the third season of her reality show, “The Simple Life,” will be on Fox this fall, and her movie, “Pledge This,” isn’t due out until November.
— Sara James
KATE’S DAY IN COURT: It’s been a banner week for celebrity libel suits in London. First, Roman Polanski skewered Vanity Fair, winning 50,000 pounds, or $87,000, in damages, after the magazine printed a story about him coming on to a model at Elaine’s shortly after his wife’s death in 1969. On Wednesday, it was Kate Moss‘ turn to triumph at London’s High Court. Moss won substantial — but undisclosed — libel damages over claims by London’s Sunday Mirror that she had collapsed into a cocaine-induced coma in Barcelona in June 2001. Moss accepted an apology from the paper. The paper’s lawyer told the court: “The defendant apologizes to Miss Moss for the distress and embarrassment they have caused her.”
— Samantha Conti
This story first appeared in the July 28, 2005 issue of WWD. Subscribe Today.
INSERT “GODFATHER III” QUOTE HERE: To judge from Bonnie Fuller‘s boss-from-hell reputation, one might expect that anyone who escaped her orbit would never look back. Apparently not. After leaving his post as Star’s director of photography three weeks ago, Darren Walsh — who also worked under Fuller at Us Weekly — is set to return as Star’s creative director, starting next week. He replaces another longtime Fuller acolyte, Kelli Delaney, now editor in chief of sister title Celebrity Living. “I consider Darren my secret weapon,” said Joe Dolce, Star’s editor in chief. “He has great eyes. He sees things that not everybody else does.” (Such as, for instance, Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie standing side by side — on two separate beaches?)
Star also has hired a new managing editor, Andrew Cuttrone, who comes from Allure. Cuttrone’s predecessor, Juliet Heller, was one of a slew of production-side employees who jumped ship to OK, which launches next week. Said Dolce: “They basically just came along and took the back end of Star, lifted it up and transplanted it onto the back end of OK.”
— Jeff Bercovici