NEW YORK — S.I. Newhouse, chairman of Conde Nast Publications, emphatically denied a flurry of reports Monday that Anna Wintour, editor in chief of Vogue, was leaving the company.

“She didn’t resign; it’s a total fabrication,” said Newhouse. “I hope I work with Anna for the rest of my life. She’s the finest editor at Conde Nast today.”

The rumors may have been fueled by last week’s announcement of a new publisher at Vogue. According to sources, Wintour — who was attending the Paris collections last week — was upset because she had not been informed in advance that Ronald A. Galotti was getting the job.

“Anna was never upset as far as I’m concerned. She learned about it the same time we did,” Newhouse said. The appointment was made by new Conde Nast president Steven T. Florio.

“She’s downstairs working and will be for the rest of her career,” said Newhouse.

Wintour was unavailable for comment.

load comments
blog comments powered by Disqus