PARIS — Hennes & Mauritz is entering the acquisition game.The Swedish fast-fashion behemoth said Thursday it purchased a 60 percent stake of privately owned Fabric Scandinavien AB, makers of the ubertrendy Cheap Monday fashion label, among others.The deal cost H&M 564 million kronor, or $91.7 million at current exchange, and includes an option to acquire the remaining 40 percent within three to five years. Fabric Scandinavien will operate as a stand-alone subsidiary within the H&M Group, the company said.The acquisition is a good fit for H&M. Denim brand Cheap Monday is sold in more than 1,000 stores globally and experienced a 300 percent increase in turnover last year, as demand for its affordably priced rock 'n' roll looks stole share from more premium-positioned players.Fabric Scandinavien's portfolio also includes contemporary fashion chains Weekday and Monki. Weekday, which offers a selection of edgy fashion labels, counts six stores in Sweden with a Copenhagen-based store slated to open this month, while Monki's 12 stores, scattered around Sweden, target young women."We have been impressed by Fabric Scandinavien's development for a long time and we see a potential to develop stores and concept stores in other markets," H&M's chief executive officer Rolf Eriksen said."By working together, we can accelerate the growth further. We can also do it in a more efficient manner by drawing on H&M's experience and knowledge of, for example, production, logistics and establishment," he added.H&M has grown organically at breakneck speed following a boom of global flagship openings; collaborations with famous designers, including Karl Lagerfeld, Stella McCartney, Viktor & Rolf and Roberto Cavalli, and the launch of its upscale subsidiary, COS.In a conference call, H&M chief financial officer Leif Persson said the Fabric Scandinavien purchase represented a significant move for the Swedish retailer, marking the first time the group has dipped its toes into the multibrand retailing arena. H&M has ambitious plans to roll out Monki stores globally and would not rule out further acquisitions, he added.The deal also nets the company the forward-thinking leadership of Fabric Scandinavien, according to Persson, as well as its 300-strong employee roster."We are very sure we will have a lot of inspiration from the people working in Fabric Scandinavien who are very creative, very cost-conscious and have a lot of ideas," said Persson, adding the company had "very big expansion potential."However, Persson said Fabric Scandinavien would be kept as a separate entity."There will be no collaboration in design or buying," said Persson, noting that Cheap Monday will not be sold in H&M stores.For the fiscal year ending April 30, Fabric Scandinavien reported sales of 250 million kronor, or $40.7 million, and an operating profit of 67 million kronor, or $10.9 million. H&M said it expects Cheap Monday's sales for 2008 to reach about 400 million kronor, or $65.1 million.
"In order for Shudu to wear garments, she needs to be able to put them on, just like you would in the real world. You have to digitize the outfits," said Cameron-James Wilson on dressing 3-D model @shudu.gram for her WWD photoshoot. #wwdfashion ( 📸: @cjw.photo )
“Shudu is a digital supermodel, a very glamour and amazing woman. But she’s 3-D,” says Cameron-James Wilson, a fashion photographer and the creature of @shudu.gram. Here, Shudu wears @cushnieetochs for her debut fashion editorial. #wwdfashion (📷: @cjw.photo)
“It is the fierce female performances that came before me that made be able to clearly identify for myself what it was that I wanted to do, what kind of artist I wanted to be, what kind of films I wanted to make,” said @brielarson at the Women in Film Crystal + Lucy Awards. See more pictures from the event on WWD.com. #wwdeye (📷: Matt Baron)
“On a personal level, it’s my vision to create a really different idea with their look to be at the epitome of women’s fashion in South Korea – to create a new milestone,” said stylist @chochowon on dressing K-pop’s most fashionable girl group, @blackpinkofficial. WWD’s @mistywhitesidell sat down with Won ahead of the group’s new album release, “Square Up,” which is out today. Read the full interview on WWD.com. #wwdfashion #blackpink_squareup #blackpink
For @ralphlauren, 2018 is a reason to celebrate: It marks the brand’s 50th year in business. Last year’s chauffeured show in Bedford, NY featuring his vintage car collection may have seemed like the big celebration to show-goers, but they were wrong. The official celebration will be held on September 7 during #NYFW. Get all the details on WWD.com. #wwdfashion (📷: @giovanni_giannoni_photo)